O Gauge from a standing start

Gareth001

• RMweb Gold

Here's a picture of the pattern, mould and finished casting of the underframe. I made the pattern out of laminated styrene sheet, the mould is latex and it's cast in 2 part resin. Simple but very satisfying when it pops out of the mould.

post-17777-0-11040000-1520874318_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gareth001
  • Like 4

One of the reasons I've been dragging my heels on the roof is that I've got quite involved in exploring the capabilities of CNC cutting on styrene sheet. Having made windows, doors and some small outbuildings, I thought I'd have a go at some rolling stock. I chose quite an obscure prototype: a 4 wheel coach made for the Rother Valley Railway by Hurst Nelson & Co in 1900. A suitable prototype, because not only would it not look out of place in any light railway setting, but also had flat sides and ends, making construction easier.

Here's some pictures of how far I've got I cast the underframe in resin, and I'll have to do the same for the axleboxes and springs, because I can't find any 5' springs available anywhere. I'm getting quite into casting!

Once I've finished all the drawings, and made all the patterns I need for casting, it occurs to me it would make quite a nice sort of "scatch aid" kit which I could make available if there was any interest. I'll see how the prototype comes out.

Could be very interesting for Inglenook layouts

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Further to my experiments with CNC cutting of styrene sheet, here are some pics of a prototype small signal box, suitable for branch line or light railway use. 

All the parts are from 10 thou or 20 thou sheet, apart from the brick built base, which I cast in resin. Once I've ironed out the wrinkles, and made and painted another from the masters, I might release it as a short run kit (not sure if I'm allowed to say that on here....but I'm certain someone will tell me off if I'm not!).

The prototype hasn't got any glazing in, which will keep the windows nice and flat, and there's still guttering and downpipes to add.

post-17777-0-46297300-1525183327_thumb.jpg

post-17777-0-15755300-1525183351_thumb.jpg

post-17777-0-33993400-1525183375_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Looking forward to the box getting some clothes on it.  I take it that the box is a generic one and you paint it up to suit your layout area.

Nice work Gareth.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Barnaby.....yes, that's the general idea: the box is based on the one at Monmouth May Hill, but similar ones could be found all over the UK, so a suitable coat of paint could locate it very convincingly. I think it would be particularly suitable in a light railway setting, and as these signal boxes had, in some cases, very long lives, there should be a wide range of applications. Hope to have a finished example ready soon.

Edited by Gareth001
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Here are a few pics of the finished signal box in it's painted form, albeit very clean and tidy: It's due for a bit of weathering tomorrow. I have designed the whole thing as a flat pack kit, with all parts cut in readiness...sort of Ikea O Gauge!. If anyone's interested, do drop me a line.

post-17777-0-31188800-1527094442_thumb.jpg

post-17777-0-00836800-1527094491_thumb.jpg

post-17777-0-30579000-1527094548_thumb.jpg

post-17777-0-84470700-1527094583_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Harry.

The figure is from Phoenix Figures, via S&D Models, in cast whitemetal. You don't get quite the detail available from 3d printing, but i reckon the Phoenix range is excellent, and good value too.

I think I'd probably be looking at about £20 including postage for the full kit, including the resin cast base (not including the lamp, figure or bucket).

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

After a bit of experimenting, I've found a much quicker way of painting brickwork, having messed about with paint in mortar courses and dry brushing large areas until I lost the will to live. Having sprayed the brickwork with Halfords red oxide primer, I just wiped cheapo filler across the wall and cleaned with a damp cloth...much quicker and easier, and not a bad result....I'm sure many people do this already, and I've only just cottoned on, so apologies if I'm teaching anyone to suck bricks.

post-17777-0-72124400-1529489894.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

So...selling cnc cut styrene kits took over for a bit, until I found I was spending all my spare time cutting windows and signal boxes and coal offices...so I've decided to slow that all down a bit until I can build up a bit of stock, so dispatching them won't be such a pressure. I need to finish the coach kit too.

Back to a bit of modelling! Finished the sector plate (I know these were quite unusual, but it's a neat solution for the space I have available. If i ever extend, I can replace it with a point), which is a heavily bashed Airfix OO kit with bits of styrene, Slaters fencing and other bits. Coat of Halfords red primer and ready to install in situ.

I'll build up the "well" around it, and I had intended to control it with a linear actuator or servo, but with a loco on it there's too much weight to shift, so I'm going to control it hydraulically....watch this space!

post-17777-0-03581300-1534696858_thumb.jpg

post-17777-0-70796100-1534697013_thumb.jpg

post-17777-0-00824200-1534697063_thumb.jpg

post-17777-0-72319600-1534697096_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Gareth

Looking very good, I am looking to do something similar based on Bembridge using a turntable rather than a sector plate, never thought of using either an Airfix kit or for that a girder bridge section, great idea. I do need mine able to hold a LMS Flatiron though

• RMweb Gold

Hi John...the tracks on mine measure 310mm (which are slightly longer than the girder plate sides), and as a flatiron is a gnat's over 40 feet (280mm) you should be ok. The Airfix kit is still readily available, but the tooling seems to be a bit worn now so the parts do need a bit of cleaning up. I used chequer plate embossed styrene to cover up the underscale planking on the walkways, and cut a slice out of the bed which I replaced with Plastruct girders to get the right width. I think it'll look ok when everything's built up around it.

So...selling cnc cut styrene kits took over for a bit, until I found I was spending all my spare time cutting windows and signal boxes and coal offices...so I've decided to slow that all down a bit until I can build up a bit of stock, so dispatching them won't be such a pressure. I need to finish the coach kit too.

Back to a bit of modelling! Finished the sector plate (I know these were quite unusual, but it's a neat solution for the space I have available. If i ever extend, I can replace it with a point), which is a heavily bashed Airfix OO kit with bits of styrene, Slaters fencing and other bits. Coat of Halfords red primer and ready to install in situ.

I'll build up the "well" around it, and I had intended to control it with a linear actuator or servo, but with a loco on it there's too much weight to shift, so I'm going to control it hydraulically....watch this space!

Interesting kit bash, what Airfix kit formed the basis for this?

• RMweb Gold

A bit more progress to report. I've always had the idea that the fascia at the front of a layout could form part of the scenery as a whole; a bit like the frame becoming part of the picture. As my little yard is supposed to be part of a dockside complex, similar to somewhere like Richborough on the East Kent Railway which sprang up as a crowded facility in WW1, and would have possibly receded into industrial use before the closure of my fictional light railway, I decided to make the fascia into a representation of the estuary wall, built in a utilitarian fashion from concrete blocks.

I carved one panel from a slab of filler, made a mould in latex and cast another 20 in resin. The little imperfections in the mould are not really noticeable in the resin castings.

post-17777-0-03370800-1535562090_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I then stuck the panels to the fascia with silicone sealant, and stuck mooring baulks on to cover every other joint. The remaining joints will be covered by mooring chains hanging from rings set into the dockside.

Edging stones to be carved from Das, and a paint job awaits.

post-17777-0-78237900-1535562331_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Special delivery received this morning, thanks Gareth.

I'll be making some time later after garden duties to open and have a review.  Then I'll seal it back up and put it with the to-be-built pile for the new layout.

It looks very attractive so I may have difficulties keeping it in the bag.

Best.

Like the random stone block wall, does it mean we will have to bob up and down when looking at your layout from the front. derrr dum        derrr dum   derrr dum        dum dum dum dum . . . . . SHARK.

Hi Gareth,

Love the idea and execution of the sector plate, an excellent space saving idea. Granted it may have been rare but, as has been mentioned, Bembridge can be the example of a similar set up (albeit small turntable).

I know you will have mentioned it, so apologies, but what is the length of the sector plate itself?

Love the weathered Hudswell Clarke by the way!!

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gareth,

Love the idea and execution of the sector plate, an excellent space saving idea. Granted it may have been rare but, as has been mentioned, Bembridge can be the example of a similar set up (albeit small turntable).

I know you will have mentioned it, so apologies, but what is the length of the sector plate itself?

Love the weathered Hudswell Clarke by the way!!

Cheers,

David

Hello David...thanks for your kind words. Little bit more to do on the HC yet! the track length on the sector plate is 310mm.