O Gauge from a standing start

Gareth001

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've had a Slaters Tar wagon almost finished for ages, just awaiting transfers and couplings, which I finally got around to in a quiet afternoon at what I like to call work.

Tar wagons were notoriously filthy, and I think that's why there are very few photos of the real thing....but they all must have been new at some point, so I might keep this one clean for a while, as I think it looks quite nice with all the crisp white lettering.

post-17777-0-91297900-1537373049_thumb.jpg

post-17777-0-77072000-1537373099_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

A little update on my ponderously slow progress....Getting a bit closer with the colours on the dockside wall, and the railings are all in. Points now work as well, and all the electromagnets are wired up for the Dingham couplers. I made the electromagnets from cut up seep point motors, and they aren't quite strong enough when powered by an old gaugemaster combi, so I need to find something a bit meatier.

post-17777-0-98467900-1540815770_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

A little update on my ponderously slow progress....Getting a bit closer with the colours on the dockside wall, and the railings are all in. Points now work as well, and all the electromagnets are wired up for the Dingham couplers. I made the electromagnets from cut up seep point motors, and they aren't quite strong enough when powered by an old gaugemaster combi, so I need to find something a bit meatier.

I made my electromagnets from cheap machine solenoids from ebay, as described on my Offerston Quay thread here.

They are powered by a decicated 12V 2A wall-wart power supply plug and activated by the usual small push-to-make button switches like the black ones below:

post-2189-0-78766700-1540832688_thumb.jpg

The electromagnets have plenty of grunt, although I did set the tops a bit higher than sleeper level. I must put some static grass or discarded newspaper over them!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I decided that some additional buildings on the layout are well overdue, so started work on a low relief warehouse for the rear. I've based it on an old grain merchants in Sandwich, which I thought was a lovely building and could be made in modular sections.

post-17777-0-38362100-1540999578_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I've shortened it by a storey, and made a pattern for a single bay of the building in Plasticard, built up in layers. I also cut the courses of brickwork into the edges of the pattern with a razor saw, and stuck the whole thing firmly down onto a flat background of styrene sheet fixed to mdf with contact adhesive. Sorry about the dodgy photo!

post-17777-0-21784900-1540999913_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gareth001
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

After making a latex mould, a number of resin castings can be made to fit together to form the basis of the building pretty quickly. The detail transfers very well to the resin. Again, sorry about the pics, but you get the general idea.

post-17777-0-41620400-1541000088_thumb.jpg

post-17777-0-28944500-1541000118_thumb.jpg

post-17777-0-23559400-1541000146_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gareth001
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi Grahame...thanks.I used a 2 part polyurethane resin (SG2000). Excellent for this sort of thing, because it doesn't need any sort of vacuum to remove bubbles, it has a low viscosity before it cures so it picks up every detail and it cures fast....removal from the mould in 30 mins or so (it takes about 2 days to fully chemically cure, but you can work it straight away. I buy mine from a company in Ireland called Polycraft.

• Like 1

Many moons ago, I cast white metal into Silastic-g (long time not now available) although I had no vacuum chamber, bubbles were not a problem, if using a brush, the pattern was painted with the siliicone before inserting into the mould cavity.

• RMweb Gold

Just about finished version of a 3 section low relief warehouse. With the individually cast sections the building can be as large as required. The hoist is made from individually cut pieces of 10 thou sheet and plastic rod (30 in all...must get out more) but the close up is a little cruel. The drainpipes (which I now think are a bit big in diameter for a building of this size) are styrene rod with copper wire collars and styrene mounting plates, with cast resin hoppers. The rivets and bolt heads on the hoist and mounting plates, which are a bit hard to see in the photos, are embossed in the plastic with a sharpened nail or jeweller's screwdriver.

post-17777-0-15891400-1541677261_thumb.jpg

post-17777-0-92898600-1541677492_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gareth001
  • Like 7

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Quite a while since I last posted....had a lot going on. Completed a new mould for the 3 section warehouse, which I'm a bit happier with, and also made a pattern for rainwater hoppers which look a bit more "Victorian Industrial". I have a few of the new warehouse panels for sale if anyone's interested. They can be put together to make a much larger building....the picture shows finished low reilef panel after a light weathering.

warehouse_w.jpg

Edited by Gareth001
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Great stuff, well done, I like.

You mention that you have some panels left over which I am interested in as I have a corner that they would fill just nice.

Can you pm me what you have and their per panel price please.

Many thanks

PS please note that my forum name is Barnaby but in the member details it will show my name = Mark King

Edited by Barnaby
better wording

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've been pondering how to fill the space behind the sector plate, as there's not a lot of room, and I'm not keen on very thin low relief buildings. I've decided to have a go at a pattern for a retaining wall, and have knocked up a master from styrene sheet.

IMG_20200421_103126563.jpg

IMG_20200421_103153809.jpg

• Like 7