O Gauge from a standing start

Gareth001

Hello Gareth.

Only done the basics i.e. base coat on the panels and temp sat where I want it to go and have been adding some depth to the sides and roof.  I'm not a lover of being flat to the backscene sky either.

Best

PS. I've sent you a PM ;)

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mark.

Meanwhile......I've made a start on a Slater's Manning Wardle F Class. Whilst this is my first attempt at an etched kit (well overdue), and I appreciate I have a lot to learn, I have to say I've found the instructions a little thin...maybe it's me. Anyway, the chassis nearly went through the window more than once before I figured out how it was supposed to go together...a mixture of schoolboy errors, dogged persistence and extreme violence have got me this far.

IMG_20200430_103251421.jpg

IMG_20200430_103317807.jpg

• Like 8

Great effort so far Gareth, you have more patience than me.

What with the quality and variety of RTR models I'd rather purchase a few of them and use my "play time" to build all the scenic, track laying & wiring up items that must be done before I REALLY can get to play with my trains. 

I did try once to build a brass 08 kit and now I have a box of bits for a 08 that I have just given up on and will never get around to finishing.

Regards

Edited by Barnaby

1 hour ago, Gareth001 said:

Thanks Mark.

Meanwhile......I've made a start on a Slater's Manning Wardle F Class. Whilst this is my first attempt at an etched kit (well overdue), and I appreciate I have a lot to learn, I have to say I've found the instructions a little thin...maybe it's me. Anyway, the chassis nearly went through the window more than once before I figured out how it was supposed to go together...a mixture of schoolboy errors, dogged persistence and extreme violence have got me this far.

IMG_20200430_103251421.jpg

IMG_20200430_103317807.jpg

I feel your pain. I’m glad my shed is at the bottom of the garden so that Mrs Doyle can’t hear my modelling induced Tourette’s! Stick with it and it gets easier as you build more. Best advice is take your time and make a point of having tea breaks, too easy to rush and get a tad annoyed.

Dougal.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

If it helps: this time last year I finished my Slater's K class. I bought it back in the early 90s. In the intervening years I have kit/ scratch built over twenty locos of all shapes and sizes. There was nothing wrong with the kit, just my skill set needed to develop. Don't be afraid to box it away and try something easier or focus on the layout or rolling stock.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Knock knock Gareth!!

How's the work going in your model room?

I've just looked at my posts and found I've been doing plenty other things to the house, out in the garden, still tidying up my shed and ridding my new Ebike on a bit of a health kit seems anything but modelling. 

Done a bit of a stock take and have at least made a little more space to proceed with my model.

Stay safe