Hornby PLC Can Be Wound Up

robmcg

Hornby have already made the perfect 00 RTR model. Further advance impossible,  further effort futile.

post-7929-0-28100700-1391747016_thumb.jpg

warning;  do not mention UNREBUILT MERCHANT NAVY class engines, nor square axle-boxes.

Thankyou,

Rob

DON'T mention the rebuilt Merchant Navy either...

post-7929-0-44801000-1391760124_thumb.jpg

Couldn't resist this... the pic is any location resembling youthful experience when the sun always shone, we will say that 35029 ran hot and ended up here, and has been prepared for return to Nine Elms, 

this picture was put together in a few pleasant hours listening to Chopin and Brahms violin and piano concertos.

Driver is unimpressed to have been called out for a semi-fast return to Waterloo, but poses anyway for the kid with the camera...

Now that's the way to greet a new ( wet ) day.Welcome back.Today is going to be.........air smoothed ?

One presumes it will be...  (edit;  there is a spamcan heavily weathered on the desk as I speak... but I told myself, less of this nonsense!)

Thanks Ian.

Back to London in style....

Delayed 12 minutes at Templecombe, on time at Woking, and half a tender of water left....

post-7929-0-22768900-1391762419_thumb.jpg

edit, this looks more like a down train, with that lighting angle.  Must be a mixed-up story. They never could go fast, those Bulleids...

• RMweb Premium

Great portraits, but please, what on earth is the topic title about?? Or is it just an enticer?

Rob

It's just Rob doing a bit of a wind-up!

Rob, you have Bodge in seventh (Southern) heaven at the moment....

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Interesting fact No327a.  My ex-neighbour (sadly deceased) was a sign writer.  Most of us will know of 35029 chopped in half and on display at the NRM.  It was he who painted the arrows showing how the steam circulates within the boiler and tubes.

Absolutely agreed, further effort unnecessary in that minor railway department. Extensive efforts required elsewhere though, and the B1, B17, L1, O1 are a good start. There will still be hundreds of interesting prototypes to work on once the D16, J15 and K1 are in my grubby mitts.

how the steam circulates within the boiler and tubes.

Interesting fact 327b. It is customary for the steam to be in pipes and elements, and the combustion gases to be in flue tubes. At least those are the usual terms, but OVSB as ever may have had different ideas...

Hi Rob, found you via Jeff's post in the Lounge, but please don't tempt Hornby into taking your comments seriously or I wont have enough Bulleids to fill my Shed.

Great pics as ever mate.

Andy, (the Mighty Bodgit) :stinker: :stinker: :stinker:

Great portraits, but please, what on earth is the topic title about?? Or is it just an enticer?

Rob

I thought that since Hornby had produced the perfect model, there was no point in striving for better, as stated in the first post.  Light-heartedly, you understand, with this section of the excellent RMweb being a little quiet.

If I was younger I might have written a totally false claim that Hornby HAD been wound up on the basis of 'perfection acheived', but this might test the moderators...

To be honest, I think the N15 in its several variants represents just about the best RTR 00 modelling available, with such as the Light Pacifics, Clan, and Bachmann's Compound. Of course I cannot separate my own predilection large green powerful locomotives from my opinions, there being no objective truth to be easily obtained...  fun sharing views though.

edit; and we won't mention the O1 B1 L1 Claud  and other things, except to wonder if the Claud might appear in some form with old pre-grouping colours as per the Bachmann C class... presumably the Claud will be modelled in a later form, ruling the colourful version out?

I  cannot resist balancing my clear Southern bias with a couple of pics of a goods engine from somewhere up north,  where the coal for a day's work was never spilled...    these are photos from the seller  linesdideandlocos1 of Wolverhampton, and I hope to do a scene with this engine soon, after I have thought about two unrebuilt Bulleids I have here.

I DO enjoy the heroic way working engines were used in the great steam age...

post-7929-0-92255400-1391807851.jpg

post-7929-0-30776400-1391807880.jpg

post-7929-0-95831300-1391808011.jpg

and just to show that proper engineering is not entirely overlooked

post-7929-0-96846000-1391808117.jpg

Still waiting to see a rebuilt Schools with air smoothed casing.

Bernard

(In need of some light relief from the weather)

Well that nice Mr Bulleid did have a go, but apparently some of the plywood and canvas fell off on the trial trip. (Before anyone starts screaming, yes, I know '999' was only a test rig, with a thoroughly ashamed 935 hiding inside.)

What I'm waiting to see is the double-ended, air-smoothed Q1, one proposal for M7 replacement before Mr Bulleid became adventurous.

the B1, B17, L1, O1 are a good start. There will still be hundreds of interesting prototypes to work on once the D16, J15 and K1 are in my grubby mitts.

Sir, we  require BALANCE in contributions here, like;   MN, WC, BB, N15, M7, T9, V, 700,  and a few other things like BR Standards, and perhaps a visiting A3...

That's what's wrong with Hornby you know. They don't model anything we like...

Interesting fact No327a.  My ex-neighbour (sadly deceased) was a sign writer.  Most of us will know of 35029 chopped in half and on display at the NRM.  It was he who painted the arrows showing how the steam circulates within the boiler and tubes.

In fond memory of the class it is nice to remember 35029 as it was in working condition in BR days.  I find the books by R H N Hardy and Bert Hooker to be inspirational for these pics.

This is a nice view of some of the atmosphere of more recent days with Clan Line etc.,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SIxz265GRo#t=0

the comments at 8 minutes into this video are interesting, re taking a MN from Bournemouth to London without taking water at Southampton.  Some superb speed shots too, here and there. e.g. at 17.20 double heading with a Light Pacific... and at 20.00 when on Medway Bank, taken with ease...

Some lovely photos there Rob.

As for "oop norf", I can only agree with Arfur Daley when travelling northwards through Watford ... It's wilderness out there!

There's nothing to see up there, that's why Hornby haven't done it! (Better duck for cover now - I'll stick my head over the parapet to see if it's safe to come back out when the weather changes!)

;)

..., except to wonder if the Claud might appear in some form with old pre-grouping colours as per the Bachmann C class... presumably the Claud will be modelled in a later form, ruling the colourful version out?

Hornby have announced the D16/3, which was an LNER period rebuild. Happily three of the class carried the magnificent lined out LNER green, which livery directly derived from the GNR's livery scheme; so what should be available if Hornby play true to form is an eyeful of elegant green 4-4-0, a real 'high stepper' too thanks to seven foot diameter drivers, and with pre-grouping ancestry still visible albeit that this is inherited from two companies.

• 4 weeks later...

Who'll be first to take a hacksaw to it and back date one to the blue era then?!

Sadly it would take a bit more than my trusty razor saw.  A major footplate, boiler, smokebox, dome, chimney, whistle, reversing lever, etc., rebuild would be needed.

Still I'd rather tackle that than have another of the 'Faux Livery Backdates' that seem to proliferate these days.

Archived