EMUs, locos, coaching stock and associated items for Balcombe

Re6/6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

The finished article, beautifully made by 'Taz'. There is in fact a second set which is un-powered at the moment.

791928177_4-LAV1a.jpg.4e5d48c8a57231f14dcf4aceec1c0902.jpg

"All things that creep and crawl" A Vic - Brighton slow. Brian has done a smashing job there. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Something new has arrived on Balcombe. Photographed somewhere in the Mid-Wales borders!

1184782318_34001a.jpg.f42e30572588e79b30fec4b473aaab8a.jpg1804205809_34001b.jpg.47eb618530253190d6302c6fa9188b0f.jpg

It's a 'Crownline' kit build. It was originally made to 'EM' gauge but re-wheeled to '00' so it is anticipated that the P4 conversion should be fairly straightforward. 

The wheels are Markits (or maybe Romfords) so turning them down on the Unimat will be the first thing to try out and fitting them with Markits P4 axles. The treads would have to remain in their '00' width as nothing can be removed from the front faces.

It's fitted with a Portescap and runs superbly but does take a while to warm up. Maybe the grease in the box can be changed as it seems to have gone 'gooey' over time. 

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The 6-PAN etches have arrived hot from the Worsley Works etchers! Of course they're up to Allen Doherty's usual high standards. I've only shown the sides. There are all the ends, droplights underframes etc that come with it.

These etches were commissioned by us so Allen at Worsley would most likely add them to his catalogue in due course as per our 4-LAV etches which are now available with the addition of the later Bulleid build. 

The plan is to have two 6-PANS (up line and down line). The first has already been started using Bill Bedford 'cut/n/shut' brass Maunsell etches and the pantry car sides have been very kindly cut for us by bgman on here on his Silhouette machine.

20200205_113757.jpg.72407d2fbca14b5102e18e57849dce7a.jpg

Also arrived recently are the 6-PUL etches which will complement the 'cut'n'shut BB etches and the original 6-CIT build.

20200205_113631.jpg.d0a93c579df2b65c827974179013e732.jpg

All in all, we're very pleased with these. They will all be powered by a heavy Hornby Belle chassis and motor bogie. Satisfactory testing was done on the DRAG test track with one assembly. The cast chassis will need to be shortened by around 5mm.

20200205_125924.jpg.2fc246b534cd29b9e7a3bc4dff3526e2.jpg

Instead of trying to file the insides of the soft plastic sideframes to give clearance for the P4 Black Beetle wheels they have been cut off in one piece and brass rods fitted to the main chassis so that the frames can be slid onto the spigots then glued and the brass trimmed. 

20200205_125959.jpg.44fccce9270725ee91dc4b7ec5f9aad6.jpg

Edited by Re6/6
Re-instate pictures
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello Jack,

I keep looking at the box with the PAN and PUL etches.........!

'Balcombe' is stored away. We have some show bookings in 2022, but that's if exhibitions are hopefully back with us by then.

At the moment, we've all gone our separate ways with personal projects. I started 'Parkend Marsh Sidings' at the beginning of lockdown.

and then there's 'Rüthi' waiting to be started!

• Friendly/supportive 3

14 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

keep looking at the box with the PAN and PUL etches.........!

How much work is required to bring them 'to life'?

Fingers crossed for 2022 - that still seems odd to say!

I've had a look, and followed the developments of Parkend Marsh. 

Thanks for the update!

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Jack P said:

How much work is required to bring them 'to life'?

...A lot! ....though I do have two complete cast motorised chassis from the Hby Brighton Belle which will require shortening.

• 10 months later...

It’s great to see Colins work. He is sorely missed but as you say a masterpiece of modelling. I am glad it has found a rightful home and hope in future to see it in operation. Could now just build Copyhold junction then I can imagine it going past my mums house……..

it is a fitting tribute to Colin that his unit will be crossing the iconic viaduct.

Keith

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

It's been a while since posting anything here!

This will be one of the four BR(W) coaches needed for the south coast portion of the WR inter-regional. It was acquired from the estate of the late Geoff Brewin of Comet. It can be truly described as 'professionally built' unlike some described thus on Ebay! I have the Comet sides for the other three.

20221016_140221.jpg.cf9e1be08d5304c155c5b90b6183c51d.jpg

Here's an interesting picture of 20002 at Brighton hauling a set of Collett coaches which will be good to recreate. I have a good selection of 57ft bow-ended kits to build! They're all 'old skool'  BSL aluminium kits but with care decent models can be built.

Ctsy Southern Way Special Issue Booster Locos:   Lilley

490657135_20002withColletts.jpg.c7f0d9766601cbe8d405cbb626a4be13.jpg 

An interesting 'oddity' is the short lived 4PUL set that ran prior to the 4CEPs being commissioned for around a year.

Ctsy First Generation Southern EMUs :  Ian Allan : Robertson

4PUL.jpg.319df3f7ebf15e9282efcd4ee0396708.jpg

I have some side etches from Worsley Works for the Pullman car and have commissioned Alan Doherty to produce some etches for the RES car.

1316785182_4PULcar.jpg.9fbb76481c555ec7104862d9e0171dc6.jpg

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

On the side with the single window next to the oval window, the single window is too deep, I thought he had corrected this on the 6-PUL pullman composite etch after I sent him my Mike King 6-CIT,PAN,PUL drawings, but easily corrected with a spare bit of etch.

Have you made any progress with the your original 6-PUL set of etches.

regards Steve

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just noticed Steve that I hadn't responded to your post, most rude of me!

Nothing yet, apart from looking at them from time to time! I've been servicing the first motorized (B Belle) chassis which needed a good clean and now runs nice and smoothly.

20221205_193941.jpg.117cb56f315d0e85b83fb1ab3ab27a33.jpg

Here's a reminder of the layout on it's first outing at Scaleforum 2019. There is much 're-scenicing' to be done and loads of other stuff including backscenes etc., in preparation for its next outing at Fareham in 2024 and Bristol 2025.

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Indeed it is. Colin had a gift working with Plasticard. 

I was very fortunate to acquire it from his estate and also it's a nice memento. Although I never met him, we conversed frequently on all things Southern EMUs.

Very gifted, I can't believe the level of detail he's achieved, and it's so neat and polished as well. It certainly looks like it went to a good home where it's being enjoyed and appreciated, on a great layout. As a fellow southerner I really enjoyed the thread :)

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Balcombe team's visit to 'Dulverton' 

Yesterday  CK, 10800, Brinkly and myself, the 'Balcombe' team, visited Ian Harrison's delightful 'Dulverton' P4  layout, set on the  former Taunton to Barnstaple line.

20230207_172054.jpg.a09e7e1c60b2d30413c64ae924346c40.jpg

Ian very kindly asked us to bring 'stuff' along to drive around the layout. I took the opportunity to bring along the Raworth 'booster' loco to stretch its legs. I was very pleased with the smooth performance.  It was mostly scratchbuilt around an old MTK bare brass wrapper. I will be predominantly be used on 'Balcombe' hauling one of the Newhaven boat trains. Also I brought along the green CL 25 to give it a proper spin away from the confines of just running in and out on 'Marsh Sidings'!

CK's Cl 22 with some minerals from 'Marsh' and 'Fochriw'

More to follow!

Edited 5 minutes ago by Re6/6

• Like 9

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Some more work has been done on 20003 over Christmas. A bit more work needed on the body like screw link couplings, vac pipes, glazing and some items in the central area of  the underframe before painting.  Also the pan (Judith Edge) needs to be properly fitted to the body.

First proper test run on a Balcombe board.

• Like 6