Cambrian Kit OTA for Scottish Region?

Good morning,

I was wondering if someone would be able to help me, I'm looking to model a highland region layout but I'm confused as to which Cambrian kit for the OTA timber wagon I should buy? I notice from pictures that some have square ends and some have more curved ends?

Is there also a difference in the number of stanchions?

Many thanks for your time and I appreciate any assistance!

Jon

Good morning,

I was wondering if someone would be able to help me, I'm looking to model a highland region layout but I'm confused as to which Cambrian kit for the OTA timber wagon I should buy? I notice from pictures that some have square ends and some have more curved ends?

Is there also a difference in the number of stanchions?

Many thanks for your time and I appreciate any assistance!

Jon

Though different batches of OTAs were allocated to different flows, from what I remember, they soon got mixed up; especially when the big blow of 1987 meant lots of timber traffic from places that didn't normally generate timber traffic (Ashford, Plumley, Chichester..).

The square-ended ones were the first ones to be converted, followed by ones with taller ends with angled corners (both these types were converted from OCAs), and finally with tall, rounded-top ends, converted from VDAs. There were different numbers (and styles) of stanchions, and their spacing could be changed to suit customer requirements for different sized logs. Depending more on when you're modelling, OBAs and OCAs were used, along with BTWs (air-piped BDVs with tall stanchions)- these latter are also available from Cambrian.

DEMU have been running a series of very informative articles in their 'Update' magazine; you might find it worthwhile joining, just for these..

Cambrian do the ota-a and ota-c both of which have three-penny bit shaped ends. Instructions for ota-c include how to modify for flat topped ends. They don't do a round topped version which being based on vda has a different chassis. As previous poster says they all got mixed up so any type is feasible in scotland. Tbh tho I wouldn't bother with cambrian kit as the Bachmann and Hornby models are superior in my view. Bach do round topped based on vda and Hornby the threepenny bit shaped ends. Depending on era you may want to avoid the Hornby ones with wider stanchions which was an ews build - the green ones being the earlier version and suitable for painting in red too. Green ones also kicking around at £10 each just now...

M

Archived