Traeth Mawr -Building Mr Price's house , (mostly)

ChrisN

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, NCB said:

Wot I do for slate roofs is paint them grey (think I used Tamyia dark sea grey acrylic), then sloshed the odd wash of dilute acrylic over them, think a mixture of earth and green. Much prefer to use washes rather than dry-brushing. It's fairly easy to vary the texture according to the amount of wash used, but being a wash it also smoothly blends in rather than giving abrupt changes of colour. Use the same technique for stone walls on building, think I used Tamyia light sea grey (which is darker then dark sea grey ...).  The earth tones down the base colour and also helps things blend.

Nigel,

Thank you.  This grey is very green, in fact I have never seen slates this colour.  Your Tamiya grey, from the colour chart seems very grey.  Perhaps I will try a grey wash and see where that takes me.

The chimneys need black around the tops, so a wash of black on the pots and the stacks will also happen.

• RMweb Premium

Here's a pic of some of the buildings on my layout:

m40b2.jpg.a66c4824a3ed1a328ac4a1fa08ec27a7.jpg

The wash technique works quite nicely on the walls as a greater concentration settles between the stones and so brings them out. Likewise a matt white wash on the inside of the goods shed is intended to reproduce weathered white-washed walls. Just the technique for a painting tyro like myself.

Nigel

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, ChrisN said:

Nigel,

Thank you.  This grey is very green, in fact I have never seen slates this colour.  Your Tamiya grey, from the colour chart seems very grey.  Perhaps I will try a grey wash and see where that takes me.

The chimneys need black around the tops, so a wash of black on the pots and the stacks will also happen.

Westmoreland green slate is "green", but it's a very pale green. Reproduction slates are often greener. Welsh slate is grey or blue-grey, and can vary from light to dark! Weathering also has an effect. Lichen can grow on it.

I decided I wanted a slightly dark medium grey for the stonework and something just a tad lighter for the tiles. The washes tend to lighten things, and to my eyes make them look more natural. I've also used diluted Humbrol acrylics for washes and the base colour; seem to remember they do a good slate colour. Humbrol is thick enough to need diluting for anything.

I've got some Vallejo acrylics; the one time I tried them didn't work out, but it might have been me.

Nigel

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Very nice Chris, good to see more structures appear!

19 hours ago, ChrisN said:

In the kit the pot for the single appeared to be more for a stove rather than a fire, so I decided to make my own pot.

Could you elaborate on that difference please? I know nothing about such things.

19 hours ago, ChrisN said:

Mr Lewis, the other Station Master is overjoyed, although concerned that he will have a station building but no railway, whereas Mr Price has a railway but no building.

I am trying to think whose position I would rather be in. Mr Price seems the obvious choice, but on the other hand Mr Lewis must have plenty of spare time on his hands, and a warm fire during the Welsh winters.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NCB said:

Westmoreland green slate is "green", but it's a very pale green. Reproduction slates are often greener. Welsh slate is grey or blue-grey, and can vary from light to dark! Weathering also has an effect. Lichen can grow on it.

In our (fishing) Village in west Cornwall, where slate has been used for roofing, it's been from Delabole (Cornwall),  but there's one house in a narrow street (about 4ft wide and in a tourist 'must visit' area) that has  different, presumably Welsh slate, on the roof.  That's the only house in the Village that has lots of lichen on it, which with the birds pecking at it looking for insects, means plenty rolls off down onto the path, which a lot of people then mistake for dog poo, and thus complaints etc., etc., 
Conjecture? The Slate came from one of the many ship wreck's in the area.

Edited by Penlan
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Very nice Chris, good to see more structures appear!

Could you elaborate on that difference please? I know nothing about such things.

I am trying to think whose position I would rather be in. Mr Price seems the obvious choice, but on the other hand Mr Lewis must have plenty of spare time on his hands, and a warm fire during the Welsh winters.

Mikkel, 

You would be surprised just how difficult it seems to be able to get a good image of the original pot.  Here goes, one from Peco.  You may have to click on a picture to get the pot closest to you.  One from Hattons.  You will need to click on this to enlarge it.  I think that type of pot allows air into it half way up so that it increases the updraft.  I assumed that it was connected to a stove of some sort, but I may be wrong.  Any comments would be welcome.

I find chimneys fascinating.  The older ones tend to be very tall, and I am not sure if it was to gain greater updraft, or to stop sparks falling to the ground close by and causing a fire.

You will notice that the original has the chimneys the other way round.  The internal layout must be different.  I can assure you my double stack is above my double fireplace.

Mr Lewis does have a nice warm fire, in his office as well, but I realised that I need to make a stove or something for the ticket office as they have nothing to keep them warm.  This will also have a nice flat surface for boiling a kettle, so until I do that there will be no cups of tea.  (Need a tea pot and cups as well, perhaps I ought to buy that pack from Preiser.)

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well, it feels like a lot has been happening although the actual amount of modelling has not been great.  Never fear, I have some stuff I did earlier.

Firstly, I was looking for something I had dropped under the layout and found the stove and flue for the Twll Du station so once it is painted I can put it in the ticket office and Mr Lewis can have his cup of tea.

The loco is nearly painted, it is just waiting its turn for a final wash coat.  More of that another time.

However the most exciting thing is that I have finally fired up the Silhouette Cameo.  I am still using V3 on my laptop and am not sure if I should download version 4.  It does appear to be working but I need to get my head round what cutting depths I should use.  I have been able to load the files onto a USB so there are no compatibility problems.  (I think.)

So MSLR coach.  So I am onto the footboards, solebars, W irons, etc.  Now, not quite the first thing I did was to think about what I needed to do and write a list.  Yes, I wrote my own instructions.  There is no point in thinking things through and not writing it down, not at my age.  As long as I remember where I have put the instructions it will be fine.  :)

So the solebars.  I wanted to have the foot boards as one piece with the solebar.  The ones I have put on other coaches so far are a bit fragile; it seems every time I pick up the LBSCR saloon one more disappears.  I looked at the 'L' shaped plastrut but nothing seemed the right size.  In the end, for reasons that I cannot remember I went for a 'T' section and cut off one of the top parts of the 'T'.

1740189105_Solebar1.jpg.e9410e8f947654d4a505b587ab90850e.jpg

Top right is the 'T' section and bottom left is the ''T' cut to be an 'L'.  Going from the image that @Bedders put up

The_Engineer_1873.jpg.5374165c3c2fe24fa4323cf63bbfedde.jpg

I decided that I wanted small footboards.  If you look at the diagram that @Northroader put up

529963510_TricompositeDiagram.jpg.67f51d17043be122ee8ff7f9b81e3693.jpg

you will see that the footboards are much bigger.  However, the diagram is of the coach as it was in, i think, the 60s and would have been after any rebuilding.  I may of course be wrong but it is too late now.  I then cut the plastrut to the coach length and measured the distance along it to the middle of the door.  I then measured either side of my mark 2mm to make a 4mm wide step.  I then cut out the gaps, as seen in the picture.  I assumed that any misalignment could be adjusted by filling one side or the other.  I was right but having done one side I suddenly realised I had worked on the long side, not the short one.

My wife always wants to know why if this is a relaxing hobby, why do I get stressed about it.  There are no satisfactory answers I can give her, not that she would comprehend.  She would think I was daft.  I then looked at my 'L' shape and realised that the short side I was about to cut was only about 2mm wide.  I thought now I had completely lost my marbles and wondered how I ever thought that the 'T' shape was correct.  I mean, who would ever make steps only 6" wide from the side.  I then looked at the drawing again and saw how narrow the steps were.  I looked and looked, and the realised what the 6" x 3' x 1" on the diagram next to the footboards meant.  It meant the step was only six inches wide and the 'L' shape was perfect.  (Now you would look at the diagram and say, it was obvious.  I looked at the diagram with the pre-conception, 'the step cannot be ix inches wide, so it made no sense.)

So it was cut again.  This time fine until I looked at the picture and found that there should be a step at the end, not under the door, one to go with the steps to the roof.  I spent some time looking and realised that the extra steps were on one side only.  The other side was then cut.  I then drilled a hole in each step to receive the staples that would act as the supports for the running board.  So I have two very flimsy solebars with single steps to fix to the carriage body.  That is the next issue, but enough for now.

If you have been, thanks for looking.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Chris for the info on chimney pots. Always something new to learn. 

I know what you mean about getting stressed about things sometimes. They say leave it and walk away, easier said than done!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 29/09/2020 at 11:19, ChrisN said:

465180787_HiringFair.jpg.0fe5aca410d6e3c8c1cf73ff935cee65.jpg

This is an impression of a hiring fair picture in Carlisle. 

In which case, I'll have to reproduce the same trio getting off an M&CR train at Mealsgate or Dearham  - the M&CR was known for the number of large houses it served, to the extent that there were two private stations solely for the local gentry.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I just wanted to check up on Mr Price and make sure he is not too offended by a recent incident elsewhere on RMweb, in which it was indirectly insinuated by a scholar of some disrepute that the Cambrian Railway is inferior to other great railways. I would like to convince Mr Price that  should I ever encounter said author, he will be tarred and feathered.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, MikeOxon said:

The whole weight of Danish law should be applied

Mike

Oh no!!  Not the Danelaw again.  We tried that once and it was very unsatisfactory, unless you were Danish.

Alan

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Buhar said:

Oh no!!  Not the Danelaw again.  We tried that once and it was very unsatisfactory, unless you were Danish.

Alan

12 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

I don't remember Danelaw affecting Cymru very much.

But otherwise there is always that sword they keep by for use at eisteddfodau. There must be one in Traeth Mawr.

Jonathan

On 18/10/2020 at 19:33, Mikkel said:

I just wanted to check up on Mr Price and make sure he is not too offended by a recent incident elsewhere on RMweb, in which it was indirectly insinuated by a scholar of some disrepute that the Cambrian Railway is inferior to other great railways. I would like to convince Mr Price that  should I ever encounter said author, he will be tarred and feathered.

On 18/10/2020 at 20:08, MikeOxon said:

The whole weight of Danish law should be applied

Mike

I believe that Danelaw ran along the Thames. up the River Lea, and then ran north west, I think running south of Birmingham and then eventually to the river Mersey.  So everything to the right of it was in the Danish Kingdom, except Northumberland.  So, yes, Wales was not in Danelaw so Mr Price's ancestors would not have been affected.  However, it would appear that all of the ancestors that I know about, certainly did, so perhaps, who knows, perhaps Mikkel and I are distantly related.  ('On NO!' says Mikkel)

Mikkel,

Mr Price thanks you for your support, but says it is not necessary. He goes on the say that once the full understanding of the great enterprise that is the Cambrian Railways has been explained to him he will withdraw with abject apologies and great embarrassment.  

Mike/Alan.  Not trial by jury?  How er, oh yes we still have that.

Jonathan,

I did not know about the sword.  I will ask Mr Price to ask the Mayor if he knows where it is.  I am fairly certain that Traeth Mawr does not have its own Bard though.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The Danelaw boundary used Watling Street as a demarcation line, that is out of London on the Edgware Road, then what is the A5, before motorway construction messed up road numbering. It followed a graceful curve serving nowhere very much, to come to a stop at Uriconium (Wroxeter) just east of Shrewsbury. Later on Telford continued the route as the Irish Mailcoach route to Holyhead.

The interesting thing is I was born South of the A5, and my wife was born North of it. A few years back, one of her middle fingers developed a tendency to curl into her palm, (Dupuytrens Syndrome) and she had an operation to cure this, with an incision into a tendon. The doctor told her that it is common with people of Viking descent.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

When I was at school in Cardiff we had a big eisteddfod every year, a whole morning in the theatre of the National Museum of Wales. Apart from the Chief Choral when the four houses competed en mass, there was the chairing of the bard. This involved a sword as seen in this photo (not our school!):

bard.jpg

The audience is asked (in Welsh of course: "A oes heddiwch?" - is there peace?) if they accept the new bard. If not his/her head is presumably cut off. That never happened at school.

Jonathan

Edited by corneliuslundie
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Northroader said:

The Danelaw boundary used Watling Street as a demarcation line, that is out of London on the Edgware Road, then what is the A5, before motorway construction messed up road numbering. It followed a graceful curve serving nowhere very much, to come to a stop at Uriconium (Wroxeter) just east of Shrewsbury. Later on Telford continued the route as the Irish Mailcoach route to Holyhead.

The interesting thing is I was born South of the A5, and my wife was born North of it. A few years back, one of her middle fingers developed a tendency to curl into her palm, (Dupuytrens Syndrome) and she had an operation to cure this, with an incision into a tendon. The doctor told her that it is common with people of Viking descent.

A much more accurate description than my hand waving rough outline.  What is also interesting is that one of my mum's fingers tended to get stuck in the palm of her hand.  I am not sure what she did apart from perhaps rubbing it but she said to me, 'It will go off,' which it did.  She never bothered to have anything done about it.  Her father came from Hertfordshire, her mother from Derbyshire.  Both north and west of the A5.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The school I was at in North Wales had an annual eisteddfod. No swords, costumes or ceremony though. The winner was awarded a miniature wooden chair, made by the woodwork master. Except when my sister (who was English) won it, when he forgot to produce it...

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

You never know what you will learn next on RMweb :)

20 hours ago, Northroader said:

The Danelaw boundary used Watling Street as a demarcation line, that is out of London on the Edgware Road, then what is the A5

I am getting mental images of a band of Pythonesque Vikings, huddling over a map, arguing about whether they are North or South of the A5. 

On 16/10/2020 at 10:06, ChrisN said:

[snip]

Going from the image that @Bedders put up

The_Engineer_1873.jpg.5374165c3c2fe24fa4323cf63bbfedde.jpg

Chris, I was going back over your posts. That drawing of the MSLR from the Engineer is a thing of beauty in itself. I have sometimes thought it could be decorative to make some sort of deep picture frame that would contain a drawing of a prototype, and then in front of it a model.  Although there would be a challenge with the glazing if you want to use the model :huh:

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Fascinating stuff.

Interesting about chiney pots. There are a lot of variations it is all down to getting enough draw and avoidng downdrafts.

A tall chimney would tend to increase the draw. Chimneys with vents in the side or cowls where designed to stop downdrafts

I am  not surprised if the vikings get lost looking for the A5  Near Wroxeter someone seems to have nicked it the A5 used to cross the Severn at Atcham with an old bridge by the side of a newer one. Now it is just a B road. I also seem to remember that part of Wroxeter used to be signposted as Wall  because there was just a big piece of wall in the field. It was impressive I wondered if any of Telford New Town will still be standing in AD3500.

Don

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Mikkel said:

You never know what you will learn next on RMweb :)

I am getting mental images of a band of Pythonesque Vikings, huddling over a map, arguing about whether they are North or South of the A5. 

Chris, I was going back over your posts. That drawing of the MSLR from the Engineer is a thing of beauty in itself. I have sometimes thought it could be decorative to make some sort of deep picture frame that would contain a drawing of a prototype, and then in front of it a model.  Although there would be a challenge with the glazing if you want to use the model :huh:

"No, that is not Watling Street it is the Fosse Way!"

"No, it's not!  You have the map upside down!"

The picture of the coach.  I assume that is your next project Mikkel?  :jester:  You realise now you have mentioned it someone will have to do it.  Someone with a Silhouette cutter, perhaps.  Someone who has MSLR coaches on their layout.  I am sure I know someone like that..........

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Sorry, still on Roman roads rather the Cambrian, Wall (Letocetum) was the next settlement on Watling Street heading  to London, in Staffordshire. There’s even less there than there is at Wroxeter.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall,_Staffordshire

I used to travel along this leg before they invented the M54, going back to college on Sunday nights, and it struck me that for an “A” road, it was the most loneliest, deserted stretch going, certainly no Vikings. Waggle your fingers for us, please, Mikkel.

• Like 3