Traeth Mawr -Building Mr Price's house , (mostly)

ChrisN

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

POWSides are perfectly respectable as an online retailer. The pre-printed kits are the best place to start - you will have to paint solebars to match but they give a Humbrol reference; in some cases you will have to touch up the black ironwork too. 

Slaters Gloucester kits are good for wagons built by that company to the RCH 1887 Specification - in fact they have the earlier style of Gloucester axlebox with a rounded bottom, which is appropriate for wagons built up to the mid-1890s. 

The Slaters Gloucester kits are good not least because the Gloucester photo archive survives, so that builder's wagons are probably the best-documented of the main wagon firms. So plenty of authentic liveries to choose from! It would be reasonably straightforward to modify or replace the V-hanger to represent the style used by other builders. 

In 1895, there would still be large numbers of dumb-buffered PO wagons, especially on a line such as the Cambrian that hadn't the means to pursue a vigorous policy of discouraging them. The Parry wagon is a good start for that; the Stephenson Clarke wagons are to that company's standard design and a bit longer than was usual.

But if you've been reading my wagon building topic, you'll have seen examples of converting Cambrian 4-plank PO wagon kits to dumb buffers (Huntley & Palmers) and more recently, using some Cambrian components for the solebars of dumb buffered wagons with scratch-built bodies. I have the intention of building more such.

Stephen,

I know POW sides are quite respectable, but my sons, the ones who work in IT, are quite wary online.  I was surprised, nay shocked, to be told that Dart Castings last Christmas did not have an encrypted website.  They do now as I checked soon after.  They are concerned about the vulnerability of small suppliers.  One asked why there was not a model railway equivalent of Etsy, where the resources were pooled.  I have no answer to that.  It is only in the last year or so that RMWeb has be encrypted.  It is not a mistake my image and date of birth is not on the site.  (If you want to know I was born in 1864, which makes me 30.)

I understand some of the Slaters Gloucester wagons are too big which is why I have only got three of each of 4040 and 4035.  I would be interested in what you think about the others.

Yes, I do follow your thread, but I am in catch up mode at the moment and am currently on page 21.  You started your thread when life got busy and so it was ignored.  I try and limit how much time I spend on RMWeb as I can spend all my time here and not do any modelling.  (Perhaps I ought to take notes as I work through it.)

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

@ChrisN, I'd noted that you have been working your way through!

The following Slaters kits represent Gloucester-built RCH 1887 Specification wagons, all 15'0" over headstocks:

• 4035 10 ton 6 plank side door
  • 4036 10 ton 6 plank side and end door
  • 4044 8 ton 5 plank side door
  • 4058 10 ton 7 plank side door
  • 4059 10 ton 7 plank side and end door.

It's also well worth having a look at a couple of Cambrian kits for Wheeler & Gregory wagons, which use their 15'0" over headstocks Gloucester underframe with the later style Gloucester axleboxes:

• C53 10 ton 4 plank side door
  • C74 4 plank side door.

These two are particularly ripe for bashing to dumb buffer wagons.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, NCB said:

Here's a pic of two of my 3mm/ft wagons, an 1887 spec RCH one and a 1906 spec one:

m1020508.jpg.80ad6f0ee9f45381b9e987370cb70e45.jpg

As can be seen, the earlier one is noticeably smaller than the later. The 1923 RCH design in longer again, 16'6" against 15' for the 1906 design.

In looking at these, I realise I may have made a mistake; the 1887 one has been built with 2 independent brakes not 1, not impossible but unusual. And I have only 1 V hanger per side on the 1906 one.

Nigel

Nigel,

Can I ask what the length of the smaller wagon is please, and its wheelbase.  The Parry dumb buffered wagon is 14' 6" with a wheelbase of about 8' 3".

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

@ChrisN, I'd noted that you have been working your way through!

The following Slaters kits represent Gloucester-built RCH 1887 Specification wagons, all 15'0" over headstocks:

• 4035 10 ton 6 plank side door
  • 4036 10 ton 6 plank side and end door
  • 4044 8 ton 5 plank side door
  • 4058 10 ton 7 plank side door
  • 4059 10 ton 7 plank side and end door.

It's also well worth having a look at a couple of Cambrian kits for Wheeler & Gregory wagons, which use their 15'0" over headstocks Gloucester underframe with the later style Gloucester axleboxes:

• C53 10 ton 4 plank side door
  • C74 4 plank side door.

These two are particularly ripe for bashing to dumb buffer wagons.

Thank you.  That is very helpful.  I know that some of the Slaters wagons which are said to be early are in fact too large, so if you are happy that these are the right size then I am as well.

Will I need to change the axelboxes on the Cambrian kits?

(I want people to know that I am taking notes, well sort of.  When I used to go to scientific conferences unlike some of my colleagues who took copious notes, I just sat and listened, and only wrote down, 1) things that we could implement in our department, - a diagnostic department in a hospital, and 2) things that were relevant for information about what we did.  If I came away with five things to implement from a three day conference I thought I had done well.  So, I will note down, on a special little Word document, bits of information like the above, and other things that I will follow up straight away I will not note but try and do it before I forget.  No 1 of those, email Chris Cox which I have been meaning to do for over a week about something else.)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, ChrisN said:

Nigel,

Can I ask what the length of the smaller wagon is please, and its wheelbase.  The Parry dumb buffered wagon is 14' 6" with a wheelbase of about 8' 3".

43.5mm, so 14'6". Also measured the Slater 1907 spec wagon; 46.5mm so 15'6". These are over headstocks. I have doubts about the 15' figure I dug up for 1907 spec wagon;  maybe 15'6" is right. I've also seen 16' quoted, but I'm dubious about that. All are 9' wheelbase.

Nigel

Edited by NCB
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, ChrisN said:

Will I need to change the axelboxes on the Cambrian kits?

If you want them to represent Gloucester axleboxes of the early-mid 1890s, then yes. Otherwise, if you're modelling a "builder unknown" wagon, then you could get away with leaving them - just carve off the Gloucester inscription on the axlebox front. However, the Cambrian axleguards and springs are a bit crude, though the solebars are nice, so you might want to think about using MJT axleguard units and whitemetal spring/axlebox castings, of which they do a wide range. There's an Attocks L&Y box that's quite good-looking with the rounded bottom characteristic of many 19th century types.

A really good general introduction is A.J. Watts' Ince Wagon book, published by and normally available from the HMRS. While its main focus is the wagons of one particular builder, it discusses the history of the RCH specifications and includes some good detail drawings for the 1887 and later specifications.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

If you want them to represent Gloucester axleboxes of the early-mid 1890s, then yes. Otherwise, if you're modelling a "builder unknown" wagon, then you could get away with leaving them - just carve off the Gloucester inscription on the axlebox front. However, the Cambrian axleguards and springs are a bit crude, though the solebars are nice, so you might want to think about using MJT axleguard units and whitemetal spring/axlebox castings, of which they do a wide range. There's an Attocks L&Y box that's quite good-looking with the rounded bottom characteristic of many 19th century types.

A really good general introduction is A.J. Watts' Ince Wagon book, published by and normally available from the HMRS. While its main focus is the wagons of one particular builder, it discusses the history of the RCH specifications and includes some good detail drawings for the 1887 and later specifications.

Stephen,

Thank you that is most helpful.  I have used the MJT springs and have a number of their axelboxes as there are none for Cambrian coaches and the ones I have are apparently a good match.  (I would have to go and look to tell you what they are, probably Attocks ar they sound familiar.)

I shall look for that book and put it in my reading room when I finally get it.  I am really only at the start of researching wagons although if you trawl through this thread, (The links in the index are all broke. :(), you will find that I have discussed wagons before, with some helpful pointers, and the type of loads I might receive.  (Hops from Suffolk for instance.)  The theory is that I am not going to start wagon building until after coaches and locos, but I have a few to finish off already.  I have been fairly good at keeping focussed on er, started projects but once I get back to a rhythm, (ha ha), I might begin to slip the odd wagon in, over and above an 1890s LB&SCR horsebox.

You mentioned once that you were going to start a coaches thread.  Has it happened as there are no links in your signature?  The Midland did run through coaches to the Cambrian but only to Aberystwyth in the winter; the Coast Line had them for summer traffic, so it is about the only local large company I do not have a coach for.  Maybe I will have to find a saloon, sometime.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, ChrisN said:

You mentioned once that you were going to start a coaches thread.  Has it happened as there are no links in your signature?  The Midland did run through coaches to the Cambrian but only to Aberystwyth in the winter; the Coast Line had them for summer traffic, so it is about the only local large company I do not have a coach for.  Maybe I will have to find a saloon, sometime.

Here it is - languishing lately, for which my apologies to @chris p bacon - aiming to do some more over the holidays:

I should tart up my signature.

I hadn't come across the Aberystwyth through carriage before but looking in my reprint of the Summer 1903 Midland timetable book, I find it ran from Hereford at 12:45pm via Three Cocks Jn, arriving at 5:45pm - five hours! The up working was even slower, leaving at 9:35am, arr. Hereford 3:00pm. Bing maps gives 1 h 48 min for 79 miles by road - though not following quite the same route. There was no Midland-worked passenger service further into England from Hereford, the Birmingham - Swansea through carriage being worked by Great Western train between Worcester and Hereford. So the Aberystwyth carriage is unlikely to have been the newest and most splendid of Midland vehicles. I suspect that in 1895 it would have been a 40 ft bogie composite, having the appropriate combination of first, third, and luggage accommodation.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you.

The Cambrian coaches were apparently quite comfortable, they had to be, the trains were very slow.  Still plenty of time to admire the scenery.  In 1895 I think all trains stopped at all stations.  Comfortable yes, but no steam heating until 1912, I think.  They would supply a foot warmer if you asked.  No restaurant cars either, probably even going at the rate they did the journey was not long enough.  I think you could get a hamper if they telegraphed ahead to get it prepared at a station with a refreshment room, run by, er Palmers?  Need to check

The LNWR left London at 9:30 and the through coach arrived at Traeth Mawr at18:20.  The GWR left Paddington at, I think 10:00 and arrived at Traeth Mawr at 18:55.  Those through coaches that were not dropped off carried on to Pwllheli and arrived at 20:25.  The passengers did not receive medals when they arrived.  They must have really wanted to travel to Wales, but in the summer at least on the coast it would have been warm and dry.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

According to volume 1 of the Christiansen & Miller history from the late 80s most of the refreshment rooms were run by Spiers & Pond.

Re PO wagons, Gloucester normally quoted the inside dimension which would be about 5 inches less than the outside dimension.

I am not sure how readily the 5and9 wagons are available at the moment. The website is a bit reticent on the subject.

And the Ince book has been reduced to £7 plus p&p because we printed too many. I am always recommending it as it is a mine ofn information on the development of PO wagons. (Advert over)

Jonathan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

According to volume 1 of the Christiansen & Miller history from the late 80s most of the refreshment rooms were run by Spiers & Pond.

Re PO wagons, Gloucester normally quoted the inside dimension which would be about 5 inches less than the outside dimension.

I am not sure how readily the 5and9 wagons are available at the moment. The website is a bit reticent on the subject.

And the Ince book has been reduced to £7 plus p&p because we printed too many. I am always recommending it as it is a mine ofn information on the development of PO wagons. (Advert over)

Jonathan

Jonathan,

Yes, Spiers and Pond.  Sorry was working from memory and wondered why the refreshment room had the name of Compounds favourite biscuit maker.  

Interesting about the Gloucester wagons, especially if I scratch build one from the specification.

I will email Chris.  He had a price list in an LBSCR Digest a while ago and he does have some kits.  I will see what is available.

I understand that HMRS is in lockdown and not trading at the present. Well, that is what I thought but it does appear that it will sell me that book.  Too late tonight, I will try tomorrow.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

Don't know what you're apologising for, making stuff is good fun......when it goes right...:rolleyes:

even better was someone using Florence Street Works as their sign in name so naturally were referred to as Florence.

Don

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The 1904 Cambrian railways timetable available from the WRRC I think give details of timed connections from all sorts of railways and also lists through coaches but not clearly the owning companies. A lot are LNWR and GWR as to be expected

Fom Manchester there are through coaches fom London road, Central and Exchange to Barmouth or PWllheli but I am ignorant as to which companies they might be from. 

It does list GC coaches from Leicester Nottingham and Sheffield but only to Aberystwyth.

Spiers and Pond offer Luncheon baskets hot or cold exclusive of drinks at 2/6 from Machynlleth 

or Tea baskets  single 1/- double 1/6 from Machynlleth Barmouth Junction and during summer season only Barmouth 

Don

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Yes, the HMRS is able to handle sales, but only by Tony taking batches of books home when he is able to visit Butterley. The Midland Railway Trust has closed the site though HMRS Officers can visit, under strict social distancing rules. So your order might not get despatched very quickly.

This caused problems with our latest book as the printer could not deliver it to Butterley. Eventually, it was agreed that one of the Trustees would have a batch delivered to his flat and deal with orders but the bulk of the print run is still with the printer. All good fun.

The Brighton Circle website seems fairly optimistic about availability of 5and9 products so I may have been too pessimistic. I was looking at the wagons mentioned above and they are mostly LB&SCR or SECR wagons, nice but probably not very common on the Cambrian coast (though I have a couple for South Wales).

I am currently painting figures and am therefore once again in awe at your ability in this area. Fortunately the current batch is seated figures for inside a carriage, so fine detail will not be crucial. But I doubt if you will be able to see the whites of their eyes. Incidentally, I have had the idea of only putting them on one side of the carriage, so that if one turns it round the carriage will appear empty unless examined closely. What do others here think?

Jonathan

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Yes, the HMRS is able to handle sales, but only by Tony taking batches of books home when he is able to visit Butterley. The Midland Railway Trust has closed the site though HMRS Officers can visit, under strict social distancing rules. So your order might not get despatched very quickly.

This caused problems with our latest book as the printer could not deliver it to Butterley. Eventually, it was agreed that one of the Trustees would have a batch delivered to his flat and deal with orders but the bulk of the print run is still with the printer. All good fun.

Jonathan

Jonathan,

I had heard there were some restrictions, but once I have ordered the book when it is delivered will not be an issue.  Knowing the RCH 1887 specifications is neither a matter of life and death or something of national importance so I think I can wait.

I hope your new book is sorted out soon.  Which one is that?

45 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

The Brighton Circle website seems fairly optimistic about availability of 5and9 products so I may have been too pessimistic. I was looking at the wagons mentioned above and they are mostly LB&SCR or SECR wagons, nice but probably not very common on the Cambrian coast (though I have a couple for South Wales).

I have just emailed Chris Cox and what I am hoping is that the PO wagons are not specific to the area.  It is hard justifying an SER wagon, but less so an LCDR one.  (My third layout, ho ho ho, will be Faversham in about 1880.)  If they are more general then I can add the painting and lettering as appropriate.  Here lack of prototype photographs is an asset.  I am sure if Mr Price says they look alright then they must be.

51 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

I am currently painting figures and am therefore once again in awe at your ability in this area. Fortunately the current batch is seated figures for inside a carriage, so fine detail will not be crucial. But I doubt if you will be able to see the whites of their eyes. Incidentally, I have had the idea of only putting them on one side of the carriage, so that if one turns it round the carriage will appear empty unless examined closely. What do others here think?

Jonathan

Figure painting.  Large magnifying glass and a steady hand is what you need, but Mikkel is the real expert.

It is an interesting idea to only have passengers on one side.  I know people who will not put passengers in their coaches as they say you cannot see them when the trains are running and they look silly sitting in the siding.  When would you turn the coach round?  Thinking about my layout the coaches would be the same way round in the siding as in the platform.  Very interesting idea though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The new book is Ian White's fourth volume on LB&SCR carriages. It includes the American Pullmans and looks like being quite a weighty tome. I am just about to start laying out chapter 5 and that chapter starts on page 133.

I agree that the weakness of the "people one side" idea is that the carriage will need the Hand of God to achieve turning as my layout is end to end. And of course at a show the operator would be one side and the audience the other, so one or other would always see the people. Not that I have ever taken a layout to an exhibition yet - though I have operated plenty.

Yes there are also pretty generic PO wagons from 5and9. Since they mostly tended to be built by nationally operating companies I think there are relatively few which are specific to particular areas. There are already a couple of Chris's sitting in my cupboard lettered for the Nantcwmdu Coal Company.

Actually, scratch building coal wagons is not very difficult. Admittedly I use commercial axleboxes, springs etc (and buffers when needed) Certainly a lot easier than carriages.

Jonathan

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 14/12/2020 at 21:43, NCB said:

Here's a pic of two of my 3mm/ft wagons, an 1887 spec RCH one and a 1906 spec one:

m1020508.jpg.80ad6f0ee9f45381b9e987370cb70e45.jpg

As can be seen, the earlier one is noticeably smaller than the later. The 1923 RCH design in longer again, 16'6" against 15' for the 1906 design.

In looking at these, I realise I may have made a mistake; the 1887 one has been built with 2 independent brakes not 1, not impossible but unusual. And I have only 1 V hanger per side on the 1906 one.

Nigel

A little thought has revealed how I might correct my "mistakes". In my time period (if I use them for my GWR interests rather than Cambrian) then it would be reasonable for the 1887 spec wagon to have acquired a second set of brakes, if it had survived that long.

The 1907 spec wagon has an extra fault; the single v-hanger on each side has been added to the inside of the solebar, not the outside. Doh! But I think this is relatively easy to correct and add an extra v-hanger at the same time.

Nigel

• Like 2

On 16/12/2020 at 10:25, ChrisN said:

I have just emailed Chris Cox and what I am hoping is that the PO wagons are not specific to the area. 

Message received and replied to, thank you. The wagons aren’t specific to area so you should be fine with that. I’m also happy to supply any axleboxes, springs brakes etc if you have a scratch build in mind.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, 5&9Models said:

Message received and replied to, thank you. The wagons aren’t specific to area so you should be fine with that. I’m also happy to supply any axleboxes, springs brakes etc if you have a scratch build in mind.

Chris,

Thank you.  I will have a look at what you sent me and decide what I would like.  I am not at the point of scratchbuilding but I will see what I need when I do.  You have on your list some 'self contained buffers', are those the sprunf buffers that were designed to replace the dumb buffer on a dumb buffered wagon without having to do too much alteration?

Thank you.

On 17/12/2020 at 16:02, ChrisN said:

You have on your list some 'self contained buffers', are those the sprung buffers that were designed to replace the dumb buffer on a dumb buffered wagon without having to do too much alteration?

The ones I list are specifically Stroudley’s self-contained buffers for his standardised LB&SCR wagons and vans, probably not right for your project?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

297118475_20201.jpg.254b417d82f68b07ecfd13567c0b5734.jpg

You obviously know who I am, I am Hercule Poirot, the famous Belgian detective.  You may wonder why I am in Traeth Mawr again at zis time of the year.  Well, you may remember that I met on zis very platform, the lady that became the love of my life, that is the excellent Miss Marple.  You may also remember that a certain Catholic Priest, Brown by name, told us that the guards on Great Western trains could marry passengers, providing that they were on Great Western rails, and not in a station.

So, why are we back here in Traeth Mawr?  We are doing a little investigating.  Now I have to apologise this post is quite long. And the light, c’est terrible.

Now I have spoken to a number of people to see how they have got on zis year.  The Contractor, what a difficult man.  He has tried my patience!  He says he has found some time zis year, under the bed or something.  I do not know, he told me, ‘Lookdown’, so I did, but even Hercule Poirot was baffled.  I must move on, I will talk as I go, tell you what has happened.

“We caught the train to Dolgelley, and then the train to Ruabon, after of course, getting the Station Master to telegraph forward so that we could get a hamper at Ruabon.  Through coach or not, it had no corridor, so we had to get out and get in the Guard’s Compartment.  Mon Dieu!  Hercule Poirot with the luggage, and parcels!  I could not believe it.  But the Guard, he was a nice man, a Mr Perkins, not Welsh, but still nice, he married us.  Said all the vows, except I did not have a ring.  He gave us some string, yes ‘With zis string, I thee wed.’  I tied it around her finger until I could buy a proper ring.  He had no proper certificate, so wrote it out on a Luggage Label.

“What is zis?” I asked.

“Your certificate.  If you take it in person to Paddington, they will change it for a proper one.  That’ll be half a crown please.”

742665742_20202.jpg.5a0e45cb506a808d2e9b9a3640c1691a.jpg

Ah yes, the platform where I met my wife.  Here appear to be some hardened criminals, with their escorts.  Who is zis at the back?

“Constable Benson Sir.  Great Western Police.”

HP: “And why are you here?”

CB: “Escort duty.  These two have just been brought from Dolgelley Assizes and the Cambrian do not have any police.”

HP: “I see, you live around here?”

CB: “No, I am based in Ruabon, on secondment from Paddington.”

HP: “You are a long way from home then.”

CB: “Yes, I hope to get back for Christmas.  I hear a rumour, someone has got me some slippers.”

HP: “Bon, I wish you well.”

Now, I am waiting for a train, well no, a carriage.  So while I wait, I will tell you, the guard asked me for half a crown.

What could I say?  I did not have a crown, let alone half a one.  My dear lady came to the rescue and gave him 2/6 which seemed to keep him happy, but I do not know why.

I looked at the Luggage Label, it read:

To:  Mrs Hercule Poirot.

1151458147_20203.jpg.6255b201c05266da2f23f694381f5c05.jpg

Ah yes, the carriage, no two, “Hello, Sir John, how are you?”

Sir J:  “Well, better than last year.  They have taken my coach out of its box, and given it a lick of paint.  I still feel a bit grey though.  I have staff as well, and children.  Cannot be bad, some progress.”

HP:  “Ah yes, you have your Nanny and the Upstairs Maid?  In the compartment next door.  I am glad to see your Nanny at least has got some colour in her cheeks, after your long journey.”

2023496170_20204.jpg.5a616be0ef4ce0cc2e8328b4d6b07da5.jpg

I have just gone into the next coach, ah two ladies, “Good day to you.”

“Good day.”

HP: “May I ask who you are?”

1st Lady:  “I am Lady Melbourne’s Lady’s Maid, and I am not happy.  I know this coach has at least been put together this year, but it is Third Class.  If they had had a proper Saloon, I would have got to sit with her ladyship some of the time.  I mean they could have at least given me Second Class.  They did give me Annie, the Downstairs Maid to keep me company.  I am sure I do not know what his friend will say when he finds out that there are extra mouths to feed who do not need to be here.”

HP: *Shrugs* “I know zis gentleman; I am sure he will not mind.”

I left them, they are not happy, but at least they have a roof, unlike zis other coach.  I thought there had been made a law against that.  So where was I? 

Ah oui, 2/6 is also what they wanted for the hamper, which I bought for our Wedding Breakfast.  I thought was expensive, but you only get married once.  Now these hampers, they are, very English.  They are good when they are made fresh, but it is all bread and great chunks of cheese.  I had to spend a long time cutting it up into nice little squares.  I am told on the great expresses, that they are made beforehand and then sold so they are not always fresh.  A rumour has it that the only difference between a Third Class hamper and a First Class one is that the Third Class hamper is a First Class one that has not been sold for two weeks.

252027055_20205.jpg.cbf742d5ed1d9307a445cb6b505b2eaf.jpg

Now a little walk and I am in the coal yard.

“Hello Sir, pleased to meet you.”

“Hello, Robert Parry at your service, do come up.”

HP: “Er, no thank you.  How has your year been?

RP: “It has been good.  My wagon has at last been put together, and painted.  Needs some gloss the man who built it said, for the letters.  I said, paint is what you need.  He just gave me a funny look.  ‘You will see’, he said.  I hope so, it is about time.  Needs couplings as well.  Meet my employee, Davies the Sack.  No, he is not Father Christmas, his sack is full of coal.  He is Father Christmas to all the naughty children.”

HP:  “Thank you, it is certainly a fine wagon, of the most excellent proportions, and so up to date.”

I will now go and see the other railway, well at least the station building.  As I walk I will tell you that I know about these hampers as I went to Paddington, on the express.  I found the office, and yes, they were prepared to give me a proper certificate, for 15/-.  I could not believe it, the good Mr Perkins had said nothing about that.  Still what is the cost of six hampers of mediocre English food, compared to a life long happiness?  It was signed by Viscount Emlyn himself.  You see I did not rush to Paddington.

257415804_20206.jpg.b8012740ac01b968acd00000500fd1ab.jpg

Here we are in the ticket office, and we have the good Mr Lewis and his friend the good Mr Price.

HP: “How are you both.”

Mr Price: *sighs* “Well what can I say.  No station platforms, no building, no footbridge, but at least we have some trains running, very odd looking ones, but still trains.  And I have my son, he had to change his clothes but he did not lose his head over it.  Finally as well I have my Signal Lad.  I think I might have all my staff now, well apart from the signalman.”

Mr Lewis:  “Well you can see what has happened, we have a roof!  Ten years it has been, no gutters yet though.  And look a stove, and a kettle.  At last we can make a cup of tea.  Mind you we all have to be in here now, and they have lost the wall to the toilet.  Would you like a tea?”

HP:  “Do you have a tisane?  Er, no?” *shrugs* “Never mind.”

Mr P:  “Are you here with your wife?  Busy?”

HP:  “Well, not so busy, I have been asked to investigate how you have all got on zis year.”

Mr L: “And your wife?”

HP:  “My wife, she is investigating Lewis’s Dress Shop for a new dress.  She has a whole wardrobe full of ‘I have nothing to wear’.  Do I mind, no, not at all.  The one problem is that I have not had a case in nearly a year.  St Mary’s Mead is so boring, no one gets murdered.  My little grey cells, they are in need of the stimulation.  We had thought of moving to Midsomer, but there is no mystery there.  There are so few people, they have all killed each other.  And as for finding out who did it, it is simplicity itself.  They are so mad, that the murderer kills everyone else, unless they have committed a fraud, or are a thief or some type of crime which means they have been arrested.  All the police have to do is arrest the last person alive.  Mon Dieu!  Somebody should intervene, to save lives.  But no, the Chief Inspector there, a man called Barnaby, will not allow anyone else in.  It is rumoured that when he retires, he will be replaced by a relative, and he got the job after his uncle retired.” 

“No, Midsomer is not for us.  Even my wife, whose little grey cells are, well modesty forbids me to say, and I have modesty par excellence, modesty forbids me to say that her little grey cells are not quite as good as mine, even she says that we would be of no help.  And lonely, we would have no neighbours.  I see the only solution is a flat in London, and home to St Mary’s Mead at the weekend.”

Mr P looks at Mr L and smiles:  “Now Mr Poirot, it is time for our tableau.  Please come, you are most welcome.”

HP:  “Thank you, I will come.”

Mr P: “Have you seen the Contractor?”

HP: “Yes, but he mumbled something about it will all end in tears, 4 tears.  Very strange, and that Christmas was cancelled.”

Mr P: “4 tears, sounds like a joke, and Christmas is not cancelled here.  Come with us.”

1575344068_20207.jpg.13133f6f96ec97259f506a5338a75aa2.jpg

Now zis is unusual, I am here, and no one dies.  You see, zis year the shepherd, not the Wise Men.  A real Shepherd, Mr Edwards, with his sheep, and a sheepdog.  Bon.

Now I must go, but the Contractor, he gave me a message.  He said, “Thank you for all the help and encouragement over the past year and all the ‘likes’”, and finally as he says, ‘If you have been, thanks for looking’, and of course Happy Christmas and all the best for the New Year.  Keep safe!

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 6
  • Funny 1