Traeth Mawr -Building Mr Price's house , (mostly)

ChrisN

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Chris, I call that game "life" :)

Many thanks for taking the time to post this. I use Inkscape for the drawing so haven't actually used the Silhouette drawing software yet. It is useful to see what it can do, so far it looks pretty much the same as Inkscape.  The resizing option is one of the extra bonuses that comes with this sort of software I find, being able to scale a drawing to correct size so easily is very useful I think. 

I'm also taking notes of your proposed brass coach building techniques. Now where can I get a blindfold... :D 

Mikkel,

I have not used Inkscape.  I have found it fairly self explanatory except it was measuring in inches for months until I found the right button.  Never read manuals, do not understand them.  I will probably when it comes to cutting.

I have some other tips as well,

Measure once cut twice, throw away start again.

Always cut towards yourself

Always do things in a hurry

Never wait for something to dry before gluing the next bit

Have a modelling lamp but work sitting next to your wife and have the lamo the other side of the room

I do have good days when I do not do any of the above except the last one.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

Hello Chris, I think that loud thump was the sound of you toppling off the pedestal I had placed you on when signing up to follow this thread.  How can I remain in awe of workmanship that has been accomplished hurriedly, in darkness and with all manner of slapdash techniques?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Buhar said:

Hello Chris, I think that loud thump was the sound of you toppling off the pedestal I had placed you on when signing up to follow this thread.  How can I remain in awe of workmanship that has been accomplished hurriedly, in darkness and with all manner of slapdash techniques?

Alan,

I am like everyone else and have off days.  This week has been particularly bad as I am away from home with only a little bit of modelling with me so I have tried to do it all at once.  To be honest sometimes I am in awe of my work.  I look at what I have made later and think, 'Wow! Did I really do that?'

The thread is not called 'Traeth Mawr for nothing, but the other end of the line is Twll Du, but the pronunciation is English and not Welsh.

However, thank you for appreciating what I have already modelled and I will try and not disappoint in future, either of us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, ChrisN said:

Nigel,

I think the answer is, probably not, but I think that the difference is quite small so will not be noticable, or have an effect if there is a tumble home on the side but not the end.  If I remember correctly the MSLR coaches are like that but I have not quite got there in making my first one.  As there  is a tumble home on both the end and the side it could be that the coach is slightly smaller.  By measurement and calculation the tumblehome part that actually curves is approximately 6.49mm, and the straight line of that curve is 6.4mm.  Given how ham fisted I have been with the ration coaches 0.1mm is within my tolerance.

It was the flat ends but curved sides case which I was more worried about; as you say if both are curved then they match. Probably can ignore it, but I'll end up doing a few measurements to make sure.

Nigel

• Like 1

Chris

I've read through the thread the past month or so, there's some very interesting research and modelling throughout. I especially like your figure painting. I appear to have caught up at the perfect time as I'm looking to get a silhouette myself soon.

I just had a look at the weather in Oxford, early June 1880, not much sun and a bit of rain.

Charlie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Charlie586 said:

Chris

I've read through the thread the past month or so, there's some very interesting research and modelling throughout. I especially like your figure painting. I appear to have caught up at the perfect time as I'm looking to get a silhouette myself soon.

I just had a look at the weather in Oxford, early June 1880, not much sun and a bit of rain.

Charlie

Charlie,

Thank you, I do hope you have enjoyed it.  You may have noticed I seem to have ground to a bit of a halt with lots of projects on the go and not getting very far with any of them.  I think there is a section on Silhouette cutters which I have not read but I suppose I ought to now.  There is one thread by JCL which I am told is very good.  Andy G has a coach thread which he has not added to recently but he has given me the ideas of how to build the coaches and in fact has cut the first ones for me and given me advice.

I do enjoy figure painting and I still have a number to do.

What are you planning to model?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ChrisN said:

Charlie,

Thank you, I do hope you have enjoyed it.  You may have noticed I seem to have ground to a bit of a halt with lots of projects on the go and not getting very far with any of them.  I think there is a section on Silhouette cutters which I have not read but I suppose I ought to now.  There is one thread by JCL which I am told is very good.  Andy G has a coach thread which he has not added to recently but he has given me the ideas of how to build the coaches and in fact has cut the first ones for me and given me advice.

I do enjoy figure painting and I still have a number to do.

What are you planning to model?

Chris

I did notice the past year or so didn't cover as many pages as the previous years, real life has a way of interfering with modelling. I read the JCL thread a year or so ago and am rereading again now, and fiddling with Inkscape in advance of ordering a cutter.

I'm modelling GWR broad gauge in the 1880s, albeit very slowly, so the first Silhouette coach will be a K2 luggage van followed by several 10' wide bodied carriages. I'll need a hefty supply of Dean 6'4" bogies and am thinking the silhouette may also be able to do a basic overlay until I can get other ones.

Charlie

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Charlie586 said:

Chris

I did notice the past year or so didn't cover as many pages as the previous years, real life has a way of interfering with modelling. I read the JCL thread a year or so ago and am rereading again now, and fiddling with Inkscape in advance of ordering a cutter.

I'm modelling GWR broad gauge in the 1880s, albeit very slowly, so the first Silhouette coach will be a K2 luggage van followed by several 10' wide bodied carriages. I'll need a hefty supply of Dean 6'4" bogies and am thinking the silhouette may also be able to do a basic overlay until I can get other ones.

Charlie

Charlie,

Have you seen Mike Oxen’s blog on broad gauge?  He has been working from scratch, has used a cutter and is now into 3D printing.

There is a Shapeways 6ft 4” Dean bogie but it is for 00 and they come at £5.00 each which is quite expensive for any number as you need two per coach.  I am not sure I want to make my own bogies.

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ChrisN said:

Charlie,

Have you seen Mike Oxen’s blog on broad gauge?  He has been working from scratch, has used a cutter and is now into 3D printing.

There is a Shapeways 6ft 4” Dean bogie but it is for 00 and they come at £5.00 each which is quite expensive for any number as you need two per coach.  I am not sure I want to make my own bogies.

Chris

I have seen Mike's blog and it's been very helpful.

The broad gauge society do dean bogies to the correct gauge, but they're nearly £30 so are  even worse.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Chris, Charlie,

A way forward with the bogies would be to use the silhouette to make the patterns for a resin cast sides and bolster...

Regards 

Duncan

Edited by drduncan
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Resin casting is very satisfying.  I made some more suitable wheels for a Corgi Thorneycroft lorry, and some brake hangers & shoes that didn’t cause short circuits for my 28xx.  

There’s a 1/32nd thread on WT where the writer has made bogies for a bolster wagon, I suspect bogies would be quite easy, (if messy!) and I’d certainly give it a go.

best

Simon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Charlie586 said:

Chris

I have seen Mike's blog and it's been very helpful.

The broad gauge society do dean bogies to the correct gauge, but they're nearly £30 so are  even worse.

Charlie,

I have just seen your signature link, not sure how I missed it earlier.  I remember reading it but will go back over it again.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, drduncan said:

Chris, Charlie,

A way forward with the bogies would be to use the silhouette to make the patterns for a resin cast sides and bolster...

Regards 

Duncan

3 hours ago, drduncan said:

It may also be a useful approach to the coach sides and ends: a master and then resin cast the ones for the coach 

D

2 hours ago, Simond said:

Resin casting is very satisfying.  I made some more suitable wheels for a Corgi Thorneycroft lorry, and some brake hangers & shoes that didn’t cause short circuits for my 28xx.  

There’s a 1/32nd thread on WT where the writer has made bogies for a bolster wagon, I suspect bogies would be quite easy, (if messy!) and I’d certainly give it a go.

best

Simon

Thank you both.  Resin casting, I have no idea how to even begin.  Well no, I have read others doing it so I have some idea but have never investigated it.  I think for the bogies it might be worth looking at but I would have to go and re-read others who have made bogies from the cutter.  As for the coaches all my GWR stuff will be one offs. 

I will make my Silhouette files available, in fact if anyone wants anything I have drawn up to now please ask.  (I am not going to put them up as links as I would like to know who has them.)

I will however keep it in mind.  I have a number of GWR coaches that need Dean 6ft bogies.

• Thanks 1

Chris, Charlie,

I’ve just been digging around on the web and Dart MJT do a GWR 6’4” etched compensatied bogie sub frame  for broad gauge but not (yet) the cosmetic overlay.  They may also,if asked, be able to produce a standard gauge version.

D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Duncan,

Thank you.  I had intended to look at Dart castings but had not got around to it.  Brass is also smoething I only use at the moment when I have to.  It is on my 'to do' list.  However if I had a reasonable picture/diagram of the outside of a 6ft 4" bogie I could make a file for the cutter.

I will try and dig these out and have a look at them.

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, drduncan said:

Do you have access to the Russel GW coaches book because I’m sure there is a drawing in it.

D

Duncan,

I have Russell's Vol 1 and both Appendicies so I will have a look

• RMweb Premium

Chris

Here's a pic I took while building a Mallard D15 brake third in 3mm/ft. The bogies are very simple, simply springs whacked onto a flat etched surface. Needs steps and scroll irons.

m0719.jpg.66606c7f545d658658daf419de1573c2.jpg

By the way, who's bright idea was it to carve up Special Interests? Most the the stuff in this new Prototype section are as much about models as the prototype. And harder to find!

Nigel

• Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Nigel,

I will reply without quoting as the pictures always get duplicated and makes things harder/more annoying to follow.

Andy G I think, and also JCL made bogies from plasticard so maybe I ought to look at doing that.  Just need to find the right springs.

Lovely model.

• Agree 1

Hi Chris,

I was reading a thread on the BGS members forum which suggested that the Slaters C10 and E37 could be used to make a C3b and E25 is you could live with the wrong clerestory profile.  It struck me that you could draw and cut new ends on the silhouette and make a more accurate model but without the faff of drawing up sides- assuming you can get hold of the slaters sides as spares from coopercraft - which is a minefield I admit...

Duncan

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Just a heads up. I recently acquired a kit from Taff Vale Models for a six ton Cambrian van. It can be built with several undergear variants and had a resin cast body. The instructions are very goo, though I have not assembled it yet. And excellent service form the company. 

Jonathan

• Informative/Useful 1