Traeth Mawr -Building Mr Price's house , (mostly)

ChrisN

2 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Well, he is French :jester:

Edit:  Oops, oh dear no he is not, of course. Double insult! :D

And that's why he has Mayonnaise on his Pomme Frits !

Bel G. Ian

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

Bel G. Ian

Bel G. Ian

• Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

My attention has just been drawn to a post I made back in February 2015 of a Cambrian 2-plank wagon. Now with better resources, I see that the buffer arrangement with the buffer base the height of the headstock plus the floor was still being used as late as 1896 in a batch of fixed side 2-plankers built by Ashbury and numbered 1750-1759 - though the wagon in the photo does not seem to be one of them as it has, as far as I can tell, wooden brake blocks and so is much older. I can't read enough of the number of the wagon in the photo to identify it other than that it ends in 7. Since the Cambrian was very fond of 2-plankers, both fixed and drop sided, that is not a lot of help, especially as the early wagon history is decidedly murky still.

I am still working on the books of CR drawings for the WRRC but don't expect the first volume (up to 1892) until next year at the earliest and it may well get pushed down the list by other titles.

Jonathan

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

My attention has just been drawn to a post I made back in February 2015 of a Cambrian 2-plank wagon. Now with better resources, I see that the buffer arrangement with the buffer base the height of the headstock plus the floor was still being used as late as 1896 in a batch of fixed side 2-plankers built by Ashbury and numbered 1750-1759 - though the wagon in the photo does not seem to be one of them as it has, as far as I can tell, wooden brake blocks and so is much older. I can't read enough of the number of the wagon in the photo to identify it other than that it ends in 7. Since the Cambrian was very fond of 2-plankers, both fixed and drop sided, that is not a lot of help, especially as the early wagon history is decidedly murky still.

I am still working on the books of CR drawings for the WRRC but don't expect the first volume (up to 1892) until next year at the earliest and it may well get pushed down the list by other titles.

Jonathan

Jonathan,

Thank you.  I am a little way from building wagons but all information is always welcome.

I do look forward to the Cambrian book of drawings.  I hope it is sooner rather than later.  The Barry and Rhymney books were a Christmas present and certainly look good.

Happy New Year to you.

• RMweb Gold
On 26/12/2019 at 16:00, JCL said:

Merry Christmas and a happy new year Chris

Sorry, I appear not to have replied to this post.

Hope you had a good time and all the best for the New Year.  The cutter is at the top of my 'To Do'  list but life keeps getting in the way.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
On 07/01/2020 at 10:34, corneliuslundie said:

Jonathan

You can add me to the list of those panting at the bit for the CR drawings :D  Dividing it up into manageable chunks seems a very good idea. I haven't as much pre-1892 info as I would like, in fact nothing in terms of useful drawings.

Edited by NCB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 23/12/2019 at 22:00, ChrisN said:

HP: “But zis iz 1895, and we are both a lot younger. 

HP:  Mais non, mademoiselle.  I am going to Afon Wen, and from there by the LNWR to catch an express to Manchester and then on to London.  I am reliably informed such trains have corridors, with toilets and First Class dining facilities.  On the GWR they are just compartments.  I was in agony on the way here.”

M. Poirot is sadly misinformed - Ms Marple knows better. He's got a three-year wait as the first LNWR (rather than WCJS) corridor carriages came out in 1898. I suppose he could change at Crewe and catch the up 2pm "Corridor".

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Simond said:

by ‘eck, he’d ‘av ‘is little Belgian legs crossed twice by then...

As Mlle Marple states, he should choose a compartment with lavatory - reasonably common on the better trains from the early 90s.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

One of my Christmas presents this year was a lap board for modelling complete with little light, and a soft squishy bit underneath.  I am not sure if I am allowed to say where it came from but it is so that you can do crafting for your hobbies.  It means that I can sit next to my wife while I model, although, laminating from the cutter and painting will be something else and will need to be done on the table in the extension.  It replaces a tray which was wider and more annoying, although that has to come down as well as I need several modelling projects in front of me, tools, plasticard and bits and pieces so I can look at it in utter confusion so as to prevent me doing anything.  It has a nice little 'ink well' but no lip around it to stop things rolling off.  My eldest son suggested I get some Victorian Fencing and stick it around the edge, but so far I have resisted that idea.  It also comes with a handle at one side for carrying so that you can pick it up and everything can fall off...……..  

So, I expect you want to see it.  Well I took a photo

839274106_NewLapWorkStation.jpg.4866919763c0c5584710a144406e1239.jpg

I noticed that I had apparently disturbed some kind of Traeth Mawr Station Staff meeting.  I was right.

980728078_Priceandson1.jpg.caa8bea58f9f45aa34fc6184f448ba95.jpg

It was more than a staff meeting.  Mr Price was talking to his son, who works at the same station as a booking clerk, plus the signal boy, and an unknown bearded gentleman, who probably is a ganger of some sort.  Probably foreign as he appears to be to H0 scale, unless he is a schoolboy doing amateur dramatics with a false beard.  Mr Price is most upset as it appears that his son has the ganger's clothes on and the ganger his son's clothes.  Oh dear.  Also Mr Price was quite firm with the signal boy as 'He needed to get his hands out of his pockets and go and clean the signal lens.'  The boy's reply that he had his hands out of his pockets but somehow inexplicably they were stuck to the side of his trousers, and that anyway there were no signals, did not go down well.

Mr Price went off to try and find his contractor, leaving the three lads perplexed and pondering what to do.  When the coast was clear I tried to help the first two off with their clothes, but quite unsuccessfully.  There was nothing for it, I laid them both down and removed their heads with a scalpel.

1220051115_OwenPriceJnr.jpg.31f57673bf6371dc17982defc3b9900b.jpg

I then drilled young Price's Head with a 0.35mm drill and inserted a 0.32mm brass rod and superglued it.  It was then snipped off leaving a couple of millimetres  or so protruding.  It was off to one side, so I then drilled a hole to one side, angled towards the centre.  When I offered it up I realised that I had to clean off the superglue that was on the rod, so I got my modelling lamp/magnifier, went to the table and attacked the glue with a scalpel.   I also found that young Owen Price needed some filing where I had not cut his head properly.    Then it was offered up again and superglued.  It may need some filler but at the moment it appears that the superglue has performed that task.  Mr Price seems happy anyway.

1907084926_Priceandson2.jpg.12219e2e6ff1547a15ec2109d085e7ed.jpg

I realise of course I have not put up a picture of the signal boy with his hands free.  This was achieved by careful scoring with a scalpel.  I am hoping now, when the signals eventually appear to bend his arms to the correct position, or at least have him with a bucket and cloth.

The smaller figures are Andy Stadden's H0 workmen.  Unfortunately he does not have any H0 train crew as it would have saved cutting two heads.  Young Owen is supposed to be about fifteen but he looks a little small against his dad for that.

(In case you are wondering how Andy Stadden is getting on and what has happened to his latest figures, he appears to have gone through some difficult times.  Andy's Blog )

I must also apologise that the pictures are not wonderful.  Despite my extension having as much light as being outside, the outside light has been quite dim recently.

If you have been, thanks for looking.

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Charlie586 said:

Good to see things going on, Chris. I've thought about using trays (even a briefcase) but haven't seen one with an attached light before. 

Charlie,

The light is not wonderful, and is a bit unidirectional unless you have it as far away as you can, and is certainly better than nothing.  I think the lights, 8 of them, are LEDs, and are powered by 3 AA batteries so I will see how long it is before they need changing.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Re figure heights, you have to remember that the Cambrian worked its staff for long hours and little pay, which probably resulted in stunted growth, particularly if they had joined the company at an early age. Railwaymen in general seemed to have had a lean and hungry look, which is why, to me, model figures produced by scanning modern day humans, often of the well fed variety, often don't look quite right.

Nigel

• Like 3
  • Agree 1