Traeth Mawr -Building Mr Price's house , (mostly)

ChrisN

As threatened, here is the parade.  You may wonder what this is about but it is my next painting project.  Also, it is another opportunity to photograph models and hopefully learn something.  Although it was a case of having a few minutes and plonking them down and snapping away as otherwise it would not have got done.

So the parade.  It is a recruiting parade for the Royal Welsh Fusiliers.  It is led by none other than Lieutenant-Colonel Viscount Dydreth, who is the elder brother of the Headmistress at the local girl's school.  In the parade he is followed by a bugler and then an Ensign, a Second-Lieutenant, with the flag.  (An Ensign, and he is wearing red.  Umm dangerous.)  He is followed by four sergeants, then another two bandsmen, this time carrying rifles, and finally two more sergeants.  I am not sure as yet how many will be sergeants, lance- sergeants or if we will have a colour sergeant.  The sergeants all have the chevrons on their arms.

attachicon.gifParade 1.JPG

Another view.  Yes, you have noticed why the picture is so narrow.  There is no roof on the station building.  It is in limbo as it will be the station for the narrow gauge line and there is no rush to finish it.

attachicon.gifParade 2.JPG

Ah, the Ensign has turned to look at us.  He is definitely and officer as he carries a sword and a pistol on his chest.  I am a bit worried as they all have their trousers tucked into their leggings which I think is battle order.  Showing off I suppose.  Hello, what's the man at the back pointing at?

attachicon.gifParade 3.JPG

Ah, two possible recruits.

"You lads, you would look good in scarlet, three square meals a day and lots of travel to sunny places in foreign parts."

First lad, "Nah, not me cock.  We're only 'ere on 'oliday.  Me Muvver would never forgive me if I turned up at home all dressed up like you."

Second lad, "Any ole ways, you all talk funny 'ere.  Proppa 'urts me lugoles it does.  Not like what we talks in Lundun.  You just keep on marching down the ole frog and we won't trouble ya to stop any more."

attachicon.gifParade 4.JPG

Opps, oh dear that looks like Jaz.  She doesn't look to pleased.

"When Kal left this morning and said see you in town later, I thought he meant he was taking me to the dress shop not expecting me to wave as he walked by."

I see Mrs Griffiths has been joined by her husband.  She looks a little sheepish, I wonder what has happened?

attachicon.gifParade 5.JPG

The soldiers are from HaT and are quite excellent with an amount of detail considered normal in wargamming circles, (yes, I know there are some dreadful ones as well).  I thought they looked small but from the soles of their boots to the tips of their pith helmets they are a scale 6ft 3".  When they are finally fixed in position they will have their bases removed otherwise they are likely to be sent on patrol to fight the 'fuzzy wuzzies'

I would also like to point out that the silver figures are from A C Stadden and are all standing on their own feet/bases without being stuck there with blue tack or anything else.  Impressive.

The parade will reappear in due course but I shall post the painting of the figures.  They have already been given a spray of primer.

My figure needs a lasso and a hogtie.......he won't being going off to play soldiers.......tut tut....he can have a dress up day later......

and where's the recruiter.....I've got a Doberman who wants to meet him...... :butcher:

• Like 1

Hi Chris

Yes those multipacks seem useful and are OK if they tell you what they contain. The 20 thou I use is 0.5mm or thereabouts and then I have sometimes used a 10 thou (0.25mm) piece with added rivet detail if needed to lay on top. I have found the need for formers is crucial to stop distortion.

As for the HO figures, yes I had seen that and added a reply.

Take your time with the figures and the result will be worth it, I don't know about you but I found painting them under artificial light harder than good daylight, maybe I needed more lamps.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Those two ladies look suspiciously like the Finching sisters, probably looking for more soldiers to befriend...

Stu,

Or someone similar.  I had not come across these sisters but mine may have been born a little earlier.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris

Yes those multipacks seem useful and are OK if they tell you what they contain. The 20 thou I use is 0.5mm or thereabouts and then I have sometimes used a 10 thou (0.25mm) piece with added rivet detail if needed to lay on top. I have found the need for formers is crucial to stop distortion.

As for the HO figures, yes I had seen that and added a reply.

Take your time with the figures and the result will be worth it, I don't know about you but I found painting them under artificial light harder than good daylight, maybe I needed more lamps.

Jim,

The multipack may well have had what was in it, and if I looked it may say what they are on Slaters site.  Having said that I have got them all out of their packet and mixed them up.  I will try a thicker one.  As I said it may be push fit but if not hopefully the tops of the compartments should act as formers.

Painting.  I am doing an experiment using your method and someone else's.  Have I already said that.  I am struggling at the moment with it.  I think I will paint the soldiers and Jaz the way I know and see where we go from there.  I will then put pictures up of my experiment once it is finished.

I am told at 60 you need 4 times as much light to do detailed work as when you were 18.  (Who told me that?)  Anyway, when I did the first lot of stuff 20 years ago I did not have a lamp, or need it.  Now I have one of these modelling ones and hold my hands together to stop them shaking.  daylight is probably better but I tend to be busy in the day unless my wife is at home doing her thing when we sit at the table together.

Thanks for your comments

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 1

I don't know if this will make you feel better, but when I am painting I often end up with the paint going where I don't want it and just have to go back and repaint.... sometimes several times. And for faces....especially those clowns I put in a blob of black paint let it dry then a blob of white (or other) paint to get the eyebrows!!!. I prefer dry brushing towards the end if I can get away with it for the final touches because then the stuff does not run and mix anywhere else. Check out Northern Maiden. She does 4mm and 7mm and has some nice touches. The purple ....... (I can't think of his name) does 4mm and 7mm also and has a distinctive way of doing eyes. He does work that looks as though he dips his characters in washes. I personallyI find washes are handy for characters as they make good shadows under arms, between the legs on the clothes and faces. I find using two similar colours for a single items helps give a shade and light effect, which often is more realistic than adding white or black to lighten or darken.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I don't know if this will make you feel better, but when I am painting I often end up with the paint going where I don't want it and just have to go back and repaint.... sometimes several times. And for faces....especially those clowns I put in a blob of black paint let it dry then a blob of white (or other) paint to get the eyebrows!!!. I prefer dry brushing towards the end if I can get away with it for the final touches because then the stuff does not run and mix anywhere else. Check out Northern Maiden. She does 4mm and 7mm and has some nice touches. The purple ....... (I can't think of his name) does 4mm and 7mm also and has a distinctive way of doing eyes. He does work that looks as though he dips his characters in washes. I personallyI find washes are handy for characters as they make good shadows under arms, between the legs on the clothes and faces. I find using two similar colours for a single items helps give a shade and light effect, which often is more realistic than adding white or black to lighten or darken.

Jaz,

Thank you for this, both helpful and interesting. I also find that I am painting and touching up as I go along.  What I also have found, as I mentioned to Jim is that it is not as easy, or rather I do not think I am as good as I was 20 years ago.

I have seen Northern Maidens thread and have decided to try two other methods first.  Purple person put a figure up on one thread I saw and when I asked him how he did it he said it 'was painted professionally'.  (He paints for a living.)  I will have to see if he has a thread where he shares some of his secrets.

I read somewhere that you could start off with a black wash and then paint over it and it would give you shades.  (Not Jim's method.)  I tried it and it did not work for me.  I am a bit nervous about using black washes at the end as advised by some people.

Washes.  Observation.  If you have a dark colour and use a wash then the folds will be dark but if you use a light colour and then use a wash the folds will be light.  I assume that you use a wash for dark colours and highlights for light ones.

The thought of using two similar colours to get the shades seems a good idea.  I think 1ngram uses this type of method but he uses Warhammer inks.

Questions.  Are your washes home made or bought?

How do you prime your whitemetal figures.

Finally.  Just to show you what you are up against, or rather what I am up against in trying to improve, here's one I did earlier.

post-11508-0-84074500-1397073403.jpg

Much earlier, about 20 years ago although I have touched him up a bit.  I am not sure who they are but they have three lads but I did not have time to photograph them as a family today.

post-11508-0-75412000-1397073611.jpg

You see here the Headmistress of the Gwyneth Eldin Academy for Young Ladies talking to one of her pupils.  In this view you would think she is asking why she has been chewing gum and is now trying to hide it under her foot. 

post-11508-0-46818600-1397073746.jpg

In this view you can see the real reason.  She is pointing out that her bloomers are showing.  Poor girl.  I feel mortified.  I will have to get my paints  out and rectify it for her.

• Like 4

I love the colouring AND the story telling.

I believe it is true, painting black first helps gets shadows.

Darker washes give shadows, lighter washes give highlights. 

BUT when you do this make sure the figure is stood upright...or the angle of the shadows and highlights can look a bit strange. I favour any ready made washes, Citadels a personal favourite ...especially aggrax earth shade. But dirty water from cleaned brushes works well too, especially on bogies of wagons and on some buildings or some trees. It is my personal belief the more colour you can add in washes the more realistic it looks BECAUSE real life has lots of shades and colours when you closely examine it.

That said...I think you painting is admirable.And with that as a basis you are sure to only get better. Personally I'd leave the bloomers...they were probably her sisters hand me downs........she will grow in to them...

Examination of enough of purple primers figures which he advertises for sale start to show a pattern...which if you wish is not too hard to copy. He has a distinctive style which has plenty of followers. Going on ebay and searching for figures brings up a number of options...i look looking at the Warhammer characters. But then I am a fantasy Warhammer fan, a by product of Kal's Dungeon and Dragons, and our joint Warcraft.

• RMweb Gold

I love the colouring AND the story telling.

I believe it is true, painting black first helps gets shadows.

Darker washes give shadows, lighter washes give highlights. 

BUT when you do this make sure the figure is stood upright...or the angle of the shadows and highlights can look a bit strange. I favour any ready made washes, Citadels a personal favourite ...especially aggrax earth shade. But dirty water from cleaned brushes works well too, especially on bogies of wagons and on some buildings or some trees. It is my personal belief the more colour you can add in washes the more realistic it looks BECAUSE real life has lots of shades and colours when you closely examine it.

That said...I think you painting is admirable.And with that as a basis you are sure to only get better. Personally I'd leave the bloomers...they were probably her sisters hand me downs........she will grow in to them...

Jaz,

Thank you.  I will probably need to buy some washes.

I used to use a white primer but I am moving to grey, perhaps I should do a black wash first after the primer.

I will leave the bloomers

The best thing is trial and error, and finding your own way. Some people like working with different paints or materials. you just get that....oooh this is nice.....and you know good or bad that 's the way you are going to go. and doubtless some people will like it and some not. Even the most talented of artists are not loved by everyone. White primer can be quite appropriate, especially for yellows etc. Frankly ANY primer is a good idea (I say that being the person who often does NOT prime her work) Just enjoy... :sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jaz,

Thank you.  I will probably need to buy some washes.

I used to use a white primer but I am moving to grey, perhaps I should do a black wash first after the primer.

I will leave the bloomers

I would, definitely.  They were all the rage in the late '60s (1960s, that is) but you wouldn't have caught me in them. I left that to others.  

Now where would that craze have come from other than Gwyneth Fach, above? :mosking:

Polly

Edit: If you are unfamiliar with things Welsh: Fach rhymes with composer Bach and means little with the meaning of Dear Gwyneth - as I understand it, anyway.

Edited by southern42
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I would, definitely.  They were all the rage in the late '60s (1960s, that is) but you wouldn't have caught me in them. I left that to others.  

Now where would that craze have come from other than Gwyneth Fach, above? :mosking:

Polly

Edit: If you are unfamiliar with things Welsh: Fach rhymes with composer Bach and means little with the meaning of Dear Gwyneth - as I understand it, anyway.

Polly,

Thank you.  I do not claim to know much Welsh but I have tried to research all the Welsh names I have used.  Most of the names are on the narrow gauge line and hopefully all have a double meaning, that is they really mean something in Welsh but if the say it with an English pronunciation it will mean something else. 

I am not sure her pupils will have called Lady Gwyneth, Gwyneth Fach.  A bit fierce she was.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I was referring to the pupil, the "Young Lady" in the bloomers, Chris, or does she have a different name?  Maybe I was pushing my luck suggesting she had the same name as her prestigious namesake. (Actually, that's a bit fictitious as I am trying to cover up the fact that I slightly misread your text....uh...hmm...It's not just when it comes to painting where the eyes fail at a certain age, it seems...)

Anyway, love the characters; love the stories.  Where would our railways be without them?

Polly

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I was referring to the pupil, the "Young Lady" in the bloomers, Chris, or does she have a different name?  Maybe I was pushing my luck suggesting she had the same name as her prestigious namesake. (Actually, that's a bit fictitious as I am trying to cover up the fact that I slightly misread your text....uh...hmm...It's not just when it comes to painting where the eyes fail at a certain age, it seems...)

Anyway, love the characters; love the stories.  Where would our railways be without them?

Polly

Polly,

Thank you.  That would make more sense.  The Headmistress is in fact the famous Lady Gwyneth Eldin who planned, built, paid for and set up the school, but that is another story.  The young lady is in fact Fiona Scuttlebucket.  You can tell this because she has it written on little tags in her clothes and if you look very, very carefully ............... ;)

Not sure I said earlier thank you for 'Fach'.  I did not know that one, it is very useful to know.   :imsohappy:

• RMweb Gold

Just so that you do not get the idea that this thread is descending into a Model Railway Eastenders, or worse Brookside,

(Mrs Jones1: 'I hear there has been a Nuclear Explosion')

(Mrs Jones2: 'What's a Nuclear Explosion?'                    ') No I must stop.

To prove that I am actually building a model railway here are some pictures of the baseboard I built yesterday.

post-11508-0-33394500-1397146201.jpg

post-11508-0-96267700-1397146238.jpg

It went together quite well although one of the ends was a long 2ft.  9mm ply glued and nailed.

You are now going to ask, 'Why did you not do a step by step guide?'  Well I asked that as well once I had finished.  Never fear, I have three more to build and so I will do one as I build the next one.  It may be tomorrow but I have to paint the kitchen ceiling as well as other things so it may now be after Easter.

Edited as I pressed 'Add Reply' rather than 'Attach Files'.

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 5

Nice little story and painting Chris, it's good to see a lot of the parts coming together and now with the baseboard under construction there will be no stopping you.

Looking at that last post I know for a fact there is 'NO WAY' I would be allowed to do that anywhere in our house let alone the living room. :nono:

I've definitely become a shed man now.

Keep up the good work.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Nice little story and painting Chris, it's good to see a lot of the parts coming together and now with the baseboard under construction there will be no stopping you.

Looking at that last post I know for a fact there is 'NO WAY' I would be allowed to do that anywhere in our house let alone the living room. :nono:

I've definitely become a shed man now.

Keep up the good work.

Jim

Jim,

Thank you.  I have actually built another board tonight although today has been a bit traumatic.

My shed is so full that you can hardly get in there.  I used to do such things in the garden but since we have had the builders in it is a muddy wasteland.  The grass is growing again but I do not want to work out there.  I also have a nosey neighbour and his gardeb is about two feet higher than mine so he can see over the fence without even trying.

My secret is, I work two days a week, and my wife works three. :sungum:   To be honest she is not that precious about the house but I would not try it when she was in.  That is why the paper is down, and we have a wooden floor so I cannot ruin the carpet, and I tidy up afterwards.

I was going to put a blind up today and it needs a wooden batten above it.  Now, you cannot buy 2" x 1" from a DIY superstore in lengths of 2ft.  Such a shame, I might just have to buy enough to do the legs of the baseboards.  Wednesday, Diamond Geezer day at B&Q.  :yes:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Baseboard Legs

As I mentioned to Jim I shall probably be buying the wood for the legs this week.  I intend to use 2 x 1s and brace them with something smaller.  They will be attached to the side frames with bolts and wing nuts, one or maybe two per leg.  They will have the baseboard resting on them, and they will not be permanently attached to fold underneath. (This is the method of the end legs used b Phil Parker in the 'First Layout' Supplement in BRM.)

There are four boards.  The one at the front on the left and the one at the back on the right will have two pairs of legs, the other two only one pair, as when they are attached to each other that is all they will need.  However, I will make it that if the these boards are free standing to work on or attached to just one other they will be able to have a second pair of legs.

So thoughts please.  Have I missed anything glaringly obvious why this will not work?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I am at work for the next two days and I am away from home so I will post this now.  Buying wood for legs on Wednesday and fixing a blind so probably no more baseboards until at least Friday. 

As I said previously I will take you through a build of one of my baseboards.  Now I know for some this will be 'teaching Granny to suck eggs', which to be honest is something I am not sure I know how to do, but anyway here goes.  I will try and only mention what I have learned.

post-11508-0-14475300-1397413930.jpg

These are the end boards which I have already put 30mm panel pins in.  The one on the right has three across the top as they will be nailed in and then the main board turned over.  The other one has three across the top and two down either side, although I have taken two out but it will give me a start later.  Notice that I have not put them too close to the ends as it splits the wood when nailed in.  (Now how do I know that?)

post-11508-0-29274600-1397414171.jpg

PVA along the end.  You may ask why attach it to the end and not underneath.  This is due to my mistake in getting the sides cut to the same length as the board and not 18mm shorter.  I did know, and I had it written down, but I was distracted and I'm old so got it wrong.  However, it is much easier to do it this way and gives me 36mm more length!  :yes:

post-11508-0-86691200-1397414449.jpg

Both end on, glued and nailed.

post-11508-0-29288900-1397414521.jpg

Glue in place on bottom and ends.  Bottom first as the glue runs down.

post-11508-0-66980300-1397414632.jpg

I have nailed the ends on.  The first end with the nails already in or the holes made, and then the other.  This image shows that I start from one end and then nail at intervals along the side to get the side flush with the top.  The first side I did I did it first in the middle but it was not as good so I did it this way, gradually working down the side.  Nails, ooh, 10" to a foot apart.

post-11508-0-49704000-1397414895.jpg

Finished.  You will see that this means the sides are slightly deeper than the ends and if you look at the right hand end it is obvious that some 2ft cuts are longer than others.  As long as if there are two of them they stick out the same side then I am ok, except that they may have to be dealt with one way or another if they are where I want to put a connector.

The are, at the moment, carryable which is important.

Thanks for looking, comments always welcome.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Polly,

Thank you.  That would make more sense.  The Headmistress is in fact the famous Lady Gwyneth Eldin who planned, built, paid for and set up the school, but that is another story.  The young lady is in fact Fiona Scuttlebucket.  You can tell this because she has it written on little tags in her clothes and if you look very, very carefully ............... ;)

Not sure I said earlier thank you for 'Fach'.  I did not know that one, it is very useful to know.   :imsohappy:

But only for girls and ladies.

Presumably, little Fiona turned up on the first day of school wearing a luggage label on her coat with her name on it in big letters - still happened in the early 1950s.  Now, did they really think we wee kids were going to get lost....? 

The baseboard is coming on alright, then...

Polly

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Presumably, little Fiona turned up on the first day of school wearing a luggage label on her coat with her name on it in big letters - still happened in the early 1950s.  Now, did they really think we wee kids were going to get lost....? 

Polly

Polly,

I understand that the Welsh name/title for a married man is GWR so when the Cambrian was taken over by the Great Western on Grouping lots of young men found that they had a change of status.  :yes:

I have built 2 out of the four baseboards.  They appear alright at the moment, it is when they have been put up on their legs and attached to each other that I will really know.  I have never done this before and I think I will only have one chance at it. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Polly

Polly,

Something else I have thought of.  Bach also means small.  Is that used in the same manner for men?  Or is it purely fictitious when Jones the Steam calls Dai Station, 'Dai Bach'?