Traeth Mawr -Building Mr Price's house , (mostly)

ChrisN

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Charlie586 said:

When I did my dean bogies I realised  (too late) that top hat bearings were too big for the axlebox, I keep meaning to buy waisted bearings to see if they fit.

Always good to plan/research  the next four or five layouts in advance.

Charlie,

Thank you.  I have both types so hopefully...……….

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, drduncan said:

Chris,

The Dean bogie looks very good.  When will you cut and assemble a pair?

Duncan

Duncan,

Now that is a good question.  I actually need to get the cutter out and work out how to use it.  That will be top of my 'to do' list come a couple of weeks time.  I will try and cut the sides first and then try and fill a sheet with the Dean Bogies.  I also need to decide how I am going to cut the spacers.  I will probably use 20 thou plasticard and the decision is do I cut it by hand or cut it with the Silhouette and finish it by hand.  I also need to find my wheels, which I have a number of, but not sure how many.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris, a quick one about your spring assemblies. As they're drawn, it looks like all the different parts of the assembly will be cut separately. If you want to cut each part as a whole part, you'll have to remove some of the lines. Also, it's difficult to see in the picture, but be careful the ends aren't cut off, there doesn't seem to be much keeping them attached to the main spring. If it was me, I'd cut one and see how I get on.

I've attached a drawing below to show you what I mean.

cheers

Jason

delete.jpg.fd42a5939abce67e8fff95c41a2e9668.jpg

Edited by JCL
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, JCL said:

Hi Chris, a quick one about your spring assemblies. As they're drawn, it looks like all the different parts of the assembly will be cut separately. If you want to cut each part as a whole part, you'll have to remove some of the lines. Also, it's difficult to see in the picture, but be careful the ends aren't cut off, there doesn't seem to be much keeping them attached to the main spring. If it was me, I'd cut one and see how I get on.

I've attached a drawing below to show you what I mean.

cheers

Jason

delete.jpg.fd42a5939abce67e8fff95c41a2e9668.jpg

Jason,

Thank you.  I meant to say at the end that I had forgotten to remove those lines from that image, and thank everyone for reminding me.  I had not removed them before so that I could delete them when copied.  I take your point on the bits at the end, (is it where the springs are bolted into the bogie?), and having looked at them again I have not deleted the line on the side where the spring is.  I will cut one and see if they are there afterwards, if not perhaps I will expand the end of the spring a little.  If that fails I will glue on a bit of plastic rod.

Thank you again.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ChrisN said:

Duncan,

Now that is a good question.  I actually need to get the cutter out and work out how to use it.  That will be top of my 'to do' list come a couple of weeks time.  I will try and cut the sides first and then try and fill a sheet with the Dean Bogies.  I also need to decide how I am going to cut the spacers.  I will probably use 20 thou plasticard and the decision is do I cut it by hand or cut it with the Silhouette and finish it by hand.  I also need to find my wheels, which I have a number of, but not sure how many.

If you're on a Window 10 machine have a look at JCL's thread before you connect your Silhouette, there are some recent update incompatability issues.

Alan

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Buhar said:

If you're on a Window 10 machine have a look at JCL's thread before you connect your Silhouette, there are some recent update incompatability issues.

Alan

Alan,

Thank you for the warning.  I had intended to trawl through various cutter threads but I may not have persevered to the end as once I have the basics I tend to stop.  My wife's laptop now does not 'see' the printer when she wants to print so we have to run 'Toubleshooter' and the it says, 'Oh yes, it's over there!' and prints.  If all else fails I have an old XP machine, very noisy, very slow and its battery holds no charge so is constantly pluuged in.  As long as I do not need the internet it might work.

My wife says to me, 'Why are you getting stressed?  I thought modelling was supposed to be enjoyable and relaxing.'   Ummmm.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

3 hours ago, ChrisN said:

.........If all else fails I have an old XP machine, very noisy, very slow and its battery holds no charge so is constantly pluuged in.  As long as I do not need the internet it might work................

For me, XP remains indispensable for various drivers and older bits of software.  I run it in a virtual machine under Windows 7.  I believe this is also possible in Win 10 although, like most things, not quite so easy.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris there is a picture of a 157 on here http://www.gwr.org.uk/no-tenders.html showing the tender collecting water near Goring. Interesting for modellers the train is described as a short up express ideal for a modeller.

Don

ps Once retired the extra time seems to disappear unless you are careful.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris, you really have come very far with the drawings. It's going to be exciting when you start cutting. And thanks for providing metric measurements for us continental types!

On 21/10/2019 at 22:01, ChrisN said:

Shall I talk about bogies? 

That sounds like something T.S. Eliot could have written.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Donw said:

Hi Chris there is a picture of a 157 on here http://www.gwr.org.uk/no-tenders.html showing the tender collecting water near Goring. Interesting for modellers the train is described as a short up express ideal for a modeller.

Don

ps Once retired the extra time seems to disappear unless you are careful.

Don,

Thank you.  The Northern Express in the later years was two coaches, plus about four through coaches so at the right moment it is not very long at all.

I know what you mean about time.  I am semi-retired at the moment and when I went from a full week down to two days I had much more time than I do now.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mikkel said:

Hi Chris, you really have come very far with the drawings. It's going to be exciting when you start cutting. And thanks for providing metric measurements for us continental types!

That sounds like something T.S. Eliot could have written.

Thank you Mikkel.  It will be exciting to start cutting.  I have it in my diary for next week.  I am a little concerned though about this Windows 10 upgrade problem.  I do have a Cameo so it should have an SD card port., so if all else fails I will use that.  Have you had any problems?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

It has been a bit quite round here, so in lieu of any modelling:-

1708473423_PandM.jpg.8e5774105a5f5a8655ac7d667262552c.jpg

Young Lady Sitting: “Oh dear, oh dear.”

Plump Gentleman: “Are you alright mademoiselle?”

YLS: “Yes, yes.  I am sorry I seem to have mislaid my knitting. I thought it was in my bag.”

PG, (not impressed): “Yes, very tiresome.”

YLS: “Oh my goodness, It’s Hercule Poirot!”

HP, (Smiling): “Why yes, but how did you know?”

YLS: “Easy really. I am Miss Marple.  You were famous long before I was, in the 1930s.”

HP: “But zis iz 1895, and we are both a lot younger.  What brings you to Traeth Mawr?”

MM: “The contractor, the man who is supposed to be building this place.  Claims someone has stolen all his time.  I asked to see his diary, He says he has not got one.  Well, of course he has no time if he does not have a diary!  I told him to buy one, then he would have plenty.  Said he still could not do anything on Mondays though.  I asked him why, and he said it was his day off.  You cannot help some people, can you?”

HP: “Iz zis why you are shiny and grey?”

MM: “Yes, he has not had time to paint me.  Anyway, what brings you here?”

HP: The Young Englishman.  He has been entertaining me at his house, very pleasant.  Along with a Catholic Priest, which I found strange as he is a Methodist.  But he asks me to leave before the weekend.  He says it iz very dangerous to have a weekend with Hercule Poirot as someone always gets murdered.  He says he feels very vulnerable as he is the only one there with his servants.  I suggest that he arrests his butler on Friday, as it iz always the butler, but he does not find my little joke funny.”

MM: “Oh dear.  Now look, we appear to be on the wrong platform.  The other platform has the through coach to take us to London.”

HP:  Mais non, mademoiselle.  I am going to Afon Wen, and from there by the LNWR to catch an express to Manchester and then on to London.  I am reliably informed such trains have corridors, with toilets and First Class dining facilities.  On the GWR they are just compartments.  I was in agony on the way here.”

MM: “My dear Mr Poirot, if you get the right First Class compartment it will have a toilet, and if you ask the Station Master he can telegraph forward and there will be a hamper that meets us at Ruabon.”

HP:  Really?  Are you sure of zis.”

MM: “Most certainly.  Anyway, you cannot go to London.  The flat where you live will not be built for another thirty years.  You probably ought to come home with me.”

HP: “But Miss Marple, if there are two private detectives living in one village, then how many murders will there be?”  (Smiles to himself.)

MM: “Now do not be silly, I live in St May’s Mead, not one of the Midsomers.  There has never been a murder in our village.

HP: “Miss Marple, how kind of you.  You know I think we would get on very well.  Why do we not cement the relationship?  Will you marry me?”

MM: “Well, that would be fun, how could I say ‘No’?  Just think of all the books that will not get written, or will they be called a Mrs Poirot mystery?”

HP: “Excellent, ah look here comes the priest, perhaps he could, how you say, do the honours.”

Priest: “Good morning Mr Poirot, Miss Marple.”

MM: “My goodness, how did you know my name?”

Priest: “Easy really, my name is Father Brown, and as this is a sketch about Fictional Detectives then I thought it was obvious.”

HP: “Father, will you marry me to Miss Marple, please?”

FB: “Well there are certain formalities before I can do it, but I know an easier way.  It is a little known fact that GWR guards have the authority to marry people on their trains, providing, they are in GWR carriages, on GWR lines, and the train is moving.  If you ask the guard on your through carriage, he will join you in your compartment at Dolgelley.”

MM: “And the hamper at Ruabon will be the wedding breakfast, how exciting.”

FB: “Look, they are getting their Christmas Tableau ready.”

HP: “Mon Dieu, it is only March!”

Tableau.jpg.f60a07d8c31c93095c583fda31efed55.jpg

MM:  “Never mind, let us wish everybody ‘Happy Christmas!’”

HP, MM, FB: “HAPPY CHRISTMAS to all our readers!”

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Mon Dieu! Zis iz trrruly newz!

What An excellent way to end the year at Traeth Mawr, Chris.  I'll never be able to read or watch those two again without thinking of this :). And that time thief , I know him well. He never seems to get caught, does he?

Happy christmas and best wishes for the new year!

PS, just found this: http://poirotchronology.blogspot.com/p/hercule-poirot-timeline.html

Edited by Mikkel

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Mon Dieu! Zis iz trrruly newz!

What An excellent way to end the year at Traeth Mawr, Chris.  I'll never be able to read or watch those two again without thinking of this :). And that time thief , I know him well. He never seems to get caught, does he?

Happy christmas and best wishes for the new year!

PS, just found this: http://poirotchronology.blogspot.com/p/hercule-poirot-timeline.html

Mikkel,

Thank you for the link, it is very informative.  I do hope I have not spoiled your enjoyment of either next time you watch them.  The only problem may be that Miss Marple is underage, (under 21),  when he meets her.  Still maybe being married by a guard on the GWR is the same as being married at Gretna Green.

Hope you had a good Christmas and have a good New Year.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, ChrisN said:

The only problem may be that Miss Marple is underage, (under 21),  when he meets her. 

Well, he is French :jester:

Edit:  Oops, oh dear no he is not, of course. Double insult! :D

Edited by Mikkel
  • Funny 3