Traeth Mawr -Building Mr Price's house , (mostly)

ChrisN

7 minutes ago, ChrisN said:

My trouble is that there is so much that I want to do, all of it interesting.  Fortunately railway modelling is not like train travel.  You travel on a train to get somewhere, although you may enjoy the journey, but with railway modelling it is the journey that is important, and if you arrive, then you start looking where to go next.  My wife has told me that I need to get my priorities right when she asked what I had intended to do today, and said that I ought to be building the station.

I am trying to do the window surrounds first.  I am assuming the Silhouette does not cut embossed plasticard very well and I will have to cut the indents on those myself.

It might be better using the Silhouette to cut the back of embossed plasticard rather than the front? 

I haven't tried that myself but I suppose you would have to be careful in positioning it to avoid cutting between brick courses.

Edited by Nick Gough
Damned autocorrect changing words.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Jonathan, Thank you.

You have probably forgotten but you did send me lots of photos of Newton a few years ago.  You will be pleased to know that I have studied them intently over the last few days along with the photos from @Donw's thread of Barmouth.  Even so that article will be very useful as well.  I would like to say that I am not going to try and do individual carvings on the tops of the windows divides, as they are  3 x 3mm at most.

I can feel an item on my Christmas list coming on, if the book is out on time.  Ratio's signal box and this one from Seven Models both fit the bill, (I like the Seven Models one), but a drawing would be favourite

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Nick Gough said:

Nice start on the station building Chris. Looking forward to seeing your progress on this.

Another distinctive building that shouts mid-Wales and Cambrian.

If I had a pound for every time I've visited the area around Barmouth station - I might have enough to buy a small, new Hornby/Bachmann/Dapol loco!

38 minutes ago, Nick Gough said:

It might be better using the Silhouette to cut the back of embossed plasticard rather than the front? 

I haven't tried that myself but I suppose you would have to be careful in positioning it to avoid cutting between brick courses.

Nick, Thank you.  

I do like the Cambrian station buildings as they are so distinctive.  If you have enough to buy a small loco then you must have been there a lot!  :D

It is stone work and not bricks so the fact that it is not cut along the lines may well not notice.  I was trying to cut 5mm strips the other night and it was proving somewhat difficult so I decided the back was the best way.  There is a right way up though......

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Jonathan,

Is the canopy at Newton just metal, or is it covered in felt.  It does look just metal but I would like to check.  I ask now as I have a number of old dried out wipes that could easily be used for tar paper but I am just at the point of throwing them out as unnecessary. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, corneliuslundie said:

I'll have to check as I can't remember. I'll come back to you when I have had a chance to look at the station but that will probably not be until Monday or Tuesday. Of course the canopy as Tywyn has gone.

Jonathan

Thank you, there is no rush.

• RMweb Premium

The station building on my 3mm layout Port Aeron was "inspired" by Aberdovey. But compressed, built in stone, no fancy stonework around the windows, and a canopy based on Dunster:

h391a.jpg.2f50eae954dd868a1cec518248f8550d.jpg

In 1982 I took a number of pics of Aberdovey, just before the canopy was finally removed and it was converted into holiday accommodation. Here's a couple of general ones:

m5.jpg.4d64e26c881c57f6bc353cc5ffebf907.jpg

m6.jpg.ec456b66fa2f1957a6e2427c9fc7cc7c.jpg

Nigel

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, NCB said:

The station building on my 3mm layout Port Aeron was "inspired" by Aberdovey. But compressed, built in stone, no fancy stonework around the windows, and a canopy based on Dunster:

h391a.jpg.2f50eae954dd868a1cec518248f8550d.jpg

In 1982 I took a number of pics of Aberdovey, just before the canopy was finally removed and it was converted into holiday accommodation. Here's a couple of general ones:

m5.jpg.4d64e26c881c57f6bc353cc5ffebf907.jpg

m6.jpg.ec456b66fa2f1957a6e2427c9fc7cc7c.jpg

Nigel

Nigel,

Thank you, all pictures are most welcome.

I do like the look of your building, I hope mine turns out as good.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/07/2021 at 12:02, ChrisN said:

I am trying to do the window surrounds first.  I am assuming the Silhouette does not cut embossed plasticard very well and I will have to cut the indents on those myself.

Chris, I used my Silhouette to cut SE Finecast English Bond with good results. I see now that I cut it from the back as Nick suggests above.

I stuck two cutting mats together for a long cut. Some Silhouette users would be horrified at this, so I had better add: I take no responsibility! :)

image.png.f0bec0b09ae95e33739c557167ca29ec.png

The Silhouette won't cut all the way through, so it only cuts the guidelines.

image.png.39b1a196399c30033131af53df09ec80.png

image.png.4ccb3f65f4df2a44ecebae10bc984dd6.png

The lintels etc were cut in Evergreen styrene. The grooves aren't so good, but the shapes are OK considering that Silhouettes aren't intended as high-precision instruments.

image.png.388cebb4f39feda874f7faed10369fb5.png

Of course each machine is different, and I haven't tried Slaters card yet yet so don't know how that works.

Edited by Mikkel
Corrected poor memory!
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

A bit sooner than I expected. It was far too hot today for our normal afternoon walk, so my wife and I wandered up to the station this evening. As you can see the station canopy is timber, with what does appear to be corrugated iron on the upper surface. I must admit that from a distance we thought it was felt. It is only the photo which makes it clear. Or is there in fact felt over the corrugated iron? What do others think?

PICT0002.JPG.7597bd3fcd0c28a42d76ac3d478940f1.JPG

PICT0003.JPG.de6951d3ca17c40196da548142e44e81.JPG

PICT0009.JPG.90aa5665754ec257b52f7949c9239193.JPG

The covering of the roof of the shelter on the other platform is definitely corrugated iron.

PICT0008.JPG.3ca25e39d9dc73ee252834f8a5800240.JPG

One thing I had not noticed before – or if I had noticed I had forgotten - is the fancy capitals to the columns supporting the canopy. Mind you, some have got damaged over the years and are now plain on one or both sides.

PICT0004.JPG.21d5e491dc834b019094380d43a4d86e.JPG

I hope this answers your question, at least enough for the model.

Jonathan

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

A bit sooner than I expected. It was far too hot today for our normal afternoon walk, so my wife and I wandered up to the station this evening. As you can see the station canopy is timber, with what does appear to be corrugated iron on the upper surface. I must admit that from a distance we thought it was felt. It is only the photo which makes it clear. Or is there in fact felt over the corrugated iron? What do others think?

The covering of the roof of the shelter on the other platform is definitely corrugated iron.

One thing I had not noticed before – or if I had noticed I had forgotten - is the fancy capitals to the columns supporting the canopy. Mind you, some have got damaged over the years and are now plain on one or both sides.

Jonathan

Useful pics. Wonder if the corrugated iron is a recent addition. The Cambrian become quite fond of the corrugated stuff, but I suspect when Newtown was built  then either tarred felt or tiles would have been used.

Interesting the similarity in style of the station building with Aberdovey. Newtown was built after the Cambrian Railways was formed; it's possible Aberdovey (then at Pwllheli) was as well.

Nigel

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, NCB said:

Useful pics. Wonder if the corrugated iron is a recent addition. The Cambrian become quite fond of the corrugated stuff, but I suspect when Newtown was built  then either tarred felt or tiles would have been used.

Interesting the similarity in style of the station building with Aberdovey. Newtown was built after the Cambrian Railways was formed; it's possible Aberdovey (then at Pwllheli) was as well.

Nigel

Nigel, Thank you.

I have been looking for pictures such as those, they are very interesting.  Barmouth is similar in appearance although it is built from stone, as will my building.  I have not really looked at Porthmadog which has the same canopy, to see if the architecture is similar.  Barmouth does not have stone sills just sloping stonework at the base of the windows but I have already started, so I am committed now.  The pictures of the sills in your photos are very useful as they show clearly they extend out past the sides of the window.  Fortunately I have only done two, on the men's toilet so no one is going to be looking there too much.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Chris, I used my Silhouette to cut SE Finecast English Bond with good results. I see now that I cut it from the back as Nick suggests above.

I stuck two cutting mats together for a long cut. Some Silhouette users would be horrified at this, so I had better add: I take no responsibility! :)

image.png.f0bec0b09ae95e33739c557167ca29ec.png

The Silhouette won't cut all the way through, so it only cuts the guidelines.

image.png.39b1a196399c30033131af53df09ec80.png

image.png.4ccb3f65f4df2a44ecebae10bc984dd6.png

The lintels etc were cut in Evergreen styrene. The grooves aren't so good, but the shapes are OK considering that Silhouettes aren't intended as high-precision instruments.

image.png.388cebb4f39feda874f7faed10369fb5.png

Of course each machine is different, and I haven't tried Slaters card yet yet so don't know how that works.

Mikkel,

Thank you.  I should have remembered what you had done.  However, when I thought about it, unlike the window surrounds, every piece of stonework is a different size so I have started to do it by hand, well with a knife.  More in a post in a day or so.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

Jonathan

Jonathan, Thank you again. 

This is very interesting.  I had assumed the underside of the canopy was quite plain, but obviously not.  I will either need to get lots more plastic strip, or use the great pile of tea stirrers that I have accumulated.  (My wife will be pleased if I actually use some.)

The roof of the down shelter I assumed was tar paper as it looked to be covered in felt in the last set of pictures, but I obviously made a mistake.  I will have to think about how I cover it and how many dried up wipes I still have.  If I do corrugated iron I will have to look at @westerhamstation's patent method which like everything he does is very clever and cheap.  It is also nice to know that the columns are round, I used square ones for the down shelter.

I believe the clear section is a more modern innovation, (i.e. post 1895), so perhaps the corrugated iron is as well.  I will have to see if I can find photos of tops of canopies.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Here's the underside of Aberdovey canopy:

m3.jpg.e4e91d5894c2496d4df847be3571d73d.jpg

I think using planking then laying felt and/or tiles on top was fairly common. Aberdovey used tiles but there might be felt underneath.

Nigel

Edited by NCB
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, NCB said:

Here's the underside of Aberdovey canopy:

m3.jpg.e4e91d5894c2496d4df847be3571d73d.jpg

I think using planking then laying felt and/or tiles on top was fairly common. Aberdovey used tiles but there might be felt underneath.

Nigel

Nigel, thank you.

I can see a pattern of how they built these things.  Unless someone comes up with more information it looks like I will be doing tar paper.

Now please rearrange to following words into a well know phrase, 'back', 'own', 'making', 'rod', 'a', 'your', 'for'.  Do you, or does anyone else know what was on the floor, in these buildings?  Tiles, parquet flooring, flagstones?  I assume the public areas were different to the private ones?

• RMweb Premium

For Newtown the question is too late as Newtown Station Travel has closed so there is no access to the interior except the bit used by a ladies' hairdresser at the far end, which is probably not typical anyway and I think it was originally a parcel store or similar as it has a sliding door on the platform side. I did once get in to the original waiting room when it was briefly a cafe a few years ago, but wasn't really looking at the floow.

Jonathan

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ChrisN said:

does anyone else know what was on the floor, in these buildings?  Tiles, parquet flooring, flagstones?  I assume the public areas were different to the private ones?

"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Simond said:

there are a few in Westminster to whom that would be good advice. 

I am sure the Prime Minister, the Earl of Rosebery might even concur.

• RMweb Premium

Some years ago was on Caersws station; the dmu had broken down and we were waiting for a replacement to arrive from Machynlleth. Took a look at the main roof. Was surprised to see the tiles had been covered with felt. Presumably this was one way to solve roof problems.

The driver of the replacement wasn't hanging about; the descent from Talerddig to Cemmaes Road is etched on my memory.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, I promised an update in a couple of days, so here it is.  With one hand I am applying PVA glue to the model, with the other I am typing this. and with the third one I am making my wife and I a cup of coffee.  (Spare hands are available from Eileen's Emporium in there Extreme Products range, or did I just buy the fingers and make the rest myself?  Umm.)

794736792_Surrounds1.jpg.d671f7bfa48b94ce53b705b96e644c34.jpg

Here you see the door and widow surrounds.  They were cut on the cutter and are in two parts.  I decided that I wanted them to be cut through so they are 10 thou plasticard  Also I needed them to wrap around the doors and windows and this is more easily done in 10 thou and also it takes up less door space.  the two at the front are the wrap around piece and the padding piece.  The others show them stuck together with polystyrene glue.  The outside piece is scored for the individual stones and for where you bend it around the door.    This gives a nice solid piece and is better than gluing them not bent and trying to keep the bend in after with PVA on the cardboard.

489023647_WindowSill1.jpg.c8144693f3b85f66a13b06d35f05aa2d.jpg

A close up of the base with plasticard strip over the cardboard and a strip of stone in place.  The window sills slope so I drew a line roughly half way between the two lines where the white plasticard will go.

1278830273_Surrounds2.jpg.28356c7f53150c88571c52f4c7df36c6.jpg

This one shows the surrounds in place, well three perhaps if you can see them.  They have to be done and allowed to dry which is why there are not two on the same window.  You will also see, if you look hard enough with a good imagination, that I have scraped the card down to give an angle for the window sill.

71635274_ToiletEnd1.jpg.8ae361cace343f953da7c6eb15646c78.jpg

This is the toilet end.  Fortunately it is the end that faces away from any viewing so is perfect for first tries.  All the surrounds are in place.  I then took another surround and laid it next to the stone embossed plasticard and in it cut where the indentations were.  I then drew on the back of the sheet a line roughly how far in they should go, and anothe the greatest width of the stone insert, that is where one side sticks out to where the othe side sticks out.  The indentations were cut out first, then the whole piece cut off, the other surround offered up and the indentations cut.  This was then offered up and of course it did not fit.  A little while laterafter the application of a file and 'hey presto!'  Stuck down with PVA.  I thought it would be easier than cutting with the Silhouette as each piece will be different, and I would need to finish cutting anyway.

You will notice the window sills.  Put in place before @NCB posted his most informative pictures.  I should have realised from the diagram the sills were wider than the window.  These are 2mm x 4mm pieces of Plastrut so will be interesting to file to fit in future.  These were straight onto the card but in future I am going to glue the plasticard strip on first, then cut it the size of the window and fold back the piece under the sill.  The sill can then be glued to it with polystyrene cement or Plastic Weld.  Two things about the sills, I am not going to file the front of the sill to make it vertical, and if I had been modelling Barmouth that has no sill, just the sloping stone surround.

This will not be a particularly quick build as so much needs to be left to dry.  The trick will be to have enough surrounds done to get some in lace and when no more can be put on get on with more surrounds, or stone infills.

If you have been, thanks for looking.

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5