Worseter - update

Killybegs

Magnificent work John.

I can't believe it has taken me so long to stumble upon your thread. It is now down as a must follow.

The Mogul looks the business as well, I presume it is a Mitchell kit?

Regards,

Andy.

Quite correct Andy. It, along with another, were started over ten years ago, then got put to one side as other priorities took over. Finally finished at the end of last year, it's mate still has some way to go! The large prairie on the right is from a Martin Finney Kit.

John

Edited by Killybegs
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

John, I know you've posted on Bitton and in the Lunester Lounge but how did I miss posting on here?

I've just has anothet look through and can see I have done many likes, but now you have a whole load more.

That Canal and Bridge is a work of art, and I notice your using Ronseal so that will help when we come to doing our Club's Layout Canal.

Well done again and some brilliant work.

Very nice John.The coaches are really close coupled, even to the loco.What do you use please? 

Hi Rob,

I use AJ's on locos and at the end of each rake. Coaches are coupled together with Kadees (714) and have Masokits BR Mark 1 Gangway Units. The Bachmann coaches need modifying to take the Kadees which are screwed to a packing on the underside of the floor.

John

I've just taken this pick of the underside of a pair of coaches showing the Kadees and the corridor connections. Hope this helps. I see that a packing piece appears to come loose. Something else to fix!

John

post-7952-0-09934500-1413549703_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

That's really neat but do they negotiate curves with that set up being so close.

My minimum curvature on the main line and fiddle yard is 1200mm. They handle that fine including the reverse curves coming out of the fiddle yard - that's where I test them!

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

While I was over in the UK, I took the opportunity to take a lot of canal shots hoping to get one that fitted the scene better than the temporary one I have been using so far. These were taken on both the Worcester and Birmingham and Kennet and Avon Canals. The best fit actually came from the Kennet and Avon. The photo looks as though I may have toned it down a bit too much but it looks about right on the layout.

I also thought it was about time Postlip Hall had a bit of screen time!

John

attachicon.gifPostlip Hall on bridge w.jpg

I think you should include a figure of Ben Ashworth recording the scene. This wonderful layout is so evocative of his photographic style and the era in which he worked.

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 2

I think I may have to change the title again after this posting as there really isn't anything left to do on the canal now. However, a fisherman has arrived but I don't think he has caught anything yet, the water looks a bit polluted to me. Maybe he will get lucky and catch a supermarket trolley. The roofers have also been along and slated the warehouse which is looking a bit grubbier than the last time it was shown.

I'm currently working on an old ford van which will shortly be abandoned on the wharf. The drawings for the building at the back of the wharf have been updated following my visit to the real Worcester last month with the camera, so I will be making a start on that soon. Earlier this week a wee parcel arrived containing a kit for a Midland Red S6 single decker. That will have to take its place in the queue.

post-7952-0-70709900-1414688535_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

The Fordson 10cwt pickup is now keeping the barge company down on the wharf. It's obviously been there some time as the brambles are already engulfing it. Surprisingly, it still has its wheels. One can only assume that the tyres were threadbare and the wheels so rusty that they were hardly worth nicking.

The pickup is a Road Transport Images resin kit, slightly butchered. It was primed, then painted rust colour before receiving a coat of grey, leaving small patches of rust. It was then further weathered with powders. Oh, I let the tyres down as well!

post-7952-0-07529700-1414942353_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I think I may have to change the title again after this posting as there really isn't anything left to do on the canal now. However, a fisherman has arrived but I don't think he has caught anything yet, the water looks a bit polluted to me. Maybe he will get lucky and catch a supermarket trolley. The roofers have also been along and slated the warehouse which is looking a bit grubbier than the last time it was shown.

I'm currently working on an old ford van which will shortly be abandoned on the wharf. The drawings for the building at the back of the wharf have been updated following my visit to the real Worcester last month with the camera, so I will be making a start on that soon. Earlier this week a wee parcel arrived containing a kit for a Midland Red S6 single decker. That will have to take its place in the queue.

attachicon.gifFishingw.jpg

Never saw anything bigger than sticklebacks in this part of the canal! Used to be some carp further out of town....

Phil

This week, I have made a start on the last building on the canal end of the layout. As the factory has a lot of ornate brickwork to the eaves and on the gable end, I decided to incorporate this detail in the base of the tall chimney to test the water so to speak. This structure (the base) is based on a larger version just to the south of Worcester, I am sure Phil B will recognise this! It worked out well, so the next step is the chimney itself then on to the main building.

post-7952-0-19797200-1415381360_thumb.jpg

• Like 7