Worseter - update

Killybegs

• RMweb Gold

John 

Thank you for sharing some superb work

By way of Christmas greetings I can only send this link

https://railway-children.myshopify.com/collections/christmas-cards/products/railway-viaduct-at-worchester

Have a great festive season!

Phil

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind comment, I haven't received my copy of MRJ yet but am glad the article has apparently turned out OK.

On the shed front, the roofs are now all slated and painted and all the walkways and railings are all fabricated. However, when I came to paint the latter, despite searching high and low, I could not find my face mask so I had to order a new one. It was not due to arrive until tomorrow but actually turned up yesterday. In the meantime I made a start on the yard lamps. The first one is now ready for the paint shop and, when I have made the second one, I can have a major bash with the rattle cans.

post-7952-0-62308700-1547548933.jpg

It's a relatively crude representation employing three different sizes of brass tube, some n/s wire and carved styrene for the lamp and shade.

Edited by Killybegs
  • Like 9

As above... that looks anything but crude to me!

I have a need to do similar lamps (though unfortunately as replacement heads on octagonal posts), but I had been trying to over complicate things in my mind and make them illuminate.  Even small leggy LEDs look too big, and the legs too fat, to make them look anything like right, so thanks for sharing this - much food for thought! 

Not illuminating probably gives a wider choice of post options too.

I have measured a BR(M) 'head unit' (which for some reason is at the Ffestiniog) - what height have you made your post?

Thanks,

Edited by Jub45565

If you want “small”, SMD is the way to go. You’ll need to be handy with the soldering iron, but you can get LEDs down to about 0.7 x 1 x 2.5mm and probably smaller. One end soldered to the fitting, decoder wire or varnished transformer wire soldered to the other. Fiddly but feasible!

Don’t forget the resistor!

Best

Simon

• Like 1

As above... that looks anything but crude to me!

I have a need to do similar lamps (though unfortunately as replacement heads on octagonal posts), but I had been trying to over complicate things in my mind and make them illuminate.  Even small leggy LEDs look too big, and the legs too fat, to make them look anything like right, so thanks for sharing this - much food for thought! 

Not illuminating probably gives a wider choice of post options too.

I have measured a BR(M) 'head unit' (which for some reason is at the Ffestiniog) - what height have you made your post?

Thanks,

I scaled mine from photographs of Stratford on Avon shed. They appear to be 1950's BR replacements (possibly when the extra road along side the shed was added) of the original GWR lanterns and posts as even the posts appear to be not a standard GWR pattern. Interesting that they are still gas. Neither are they the same height, I have one at 14'0" and one at 18'0". I don't think this is going to help you very much, sorry.

I scaled mine from photographs of Stratford on Avon shed. They appear to be 1950's BR replacements (possibly when the extra road along side the shed was added) of the original GWR lanterns and posts as even the posts appear to be not a standard GWR pattern. Interesting that they are still gas. Neither are they the same height, I have one at 14'0" and one at 18'0". I don't think this is going to help you very much, sorry.

Thanks John - not entirely as you say (and scaling is difficult with camera perspective - at least signals have ladders to rung count!) but does explain why the head looks very similar - also being a 1950s replacement!

But food for thought nonetheless.

After a long exhausting week I finally managed to read the MRJ last night before bed.

I really enjoyed your article on the Prairie which only goes to show if you've got the determination its worth doing !

Nice addition to your stock.

Grahame

I’ve been quietly marvelling at the quality of your work for some considerable time, John. Simply inspirational, especially to someone modelling a mainline running past a motive power depot.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Best wishes,

Iain

• 2 weeks later...