Worseter - update

Killybegs

Progress pic of pannier tank as promised the vac pipework along the valance has been removed as it didn't match my prototype. Similarly, a redundant part of the injector and the lubricators have been dispensed with. The handrails have come off and the one knob that broke off has been drilled out. A false bottom has been added to the boiler as has a balance pipe between the tanks. Although I will be using a High Level chassis on each of the panniers, only one will be motorised as the other two will be 'on shed' (with no crew and no lamps). It is for this reason that I have been able to fit the false bottom and balance pipe. 

If you think the safety valve cover looks a bit skinny, it's because some of it got removed when I was taking out the background! Incidentally, I did remove it from the body (as it wasn't seating properly) and refixed it. The cab and bunker have been removed for the time being and the coal has also been cut out of the bunker.

The tool box looks a bit low but, as it's cast in with the body, I will have to live with it.

1455946518_Details03s.jpg.0590df66aa532c187dd89927c4734949.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 weeks later...

Very little work done on the Pannier in the last month, mostly work in the cab area and some modifications to the tool boxes on the footplate. The detailing inside the cab is 'generic' as it is not that visible.

1648633810_Details04.jpg.4bead1fe9400eb00918f3f9bead837b6.jpg

• Like 11

No more work on the Pannier. Too busy working in the garden and playing in the woods with my new toy.

149254778_Ards05a.jpg.a128cc0eb1d47a9abf1a909211b13b07.jpg

Visitors next week, then I'm off to the UK for Scalefour North so It may be a couple of weeks before I make a start on the chassis. After that, I will get on and finish the detailing.

Edited by Killybegs
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Killybegs said:

playing in the woods with my new toy.

Oooh ! Very nice new e-mtb John, is it a Hiabike ? Can't quite make it out.

Please tell me more !!!  

I'm sussing ( sorry for the pun !) one out currently too. 

Have you seen the new Greyp G6 whoa ! now thats something else.

Grahame

It's a Fullseven LT4.0 and is a 2018 model that I picked at a very large discount. I am waiting for a 500Wh battery upgrade from the 400Wh battery that was standard on last tear's model and was part of the deal. It's a very different ride to my old full suspension bike, great going up hills but a bit of a handfull downhill. Saturday's race was the first time I had ridden it in anger (only collected it a week ago) and I had a few hairy moments. I will have to play around with the setup and get in a bit more practice. I used it Eco mode for the race and used 40% of the battery capacity  in 25km. This is about 2/3rds of the distance I was getting in offroad 'touring' mode.

• Informative/Useful 2

2 minutes ago, Killybegs said:

It's a Fullseven LT4.0 and is a 2018 model that I picked at a very large discount. I am waiting for a 500Wh battery upgrade from the 400Wh battery that was standard on last tear's model and was part of the deal. It's a very different ride to my old full suspension bike, great going up hills but a bit of a handfull downhill. Saturday's race was the first time I had ridden it in anger (only collected it a week ago) and I had a few hairy moments. I will have to play around with the setup and get in a bit more practice. I used it Eco mode for the race and used 40% of the battery capacity  in 25km. This is about 2/3rds of the distance I was getting in offroad 'touring' mode.

Thought it was John, they are one of the manufacturers I have been looking at especially since they are starting to run a new motor system ( Flyon ).

Certainly a completely different ride to a standard full sus but makes it all worth while. 

I still enjoy "sending it" and look forward to making a purchase when I move house soon. It'll be fun seeing the younger faces as I go passed ( 65 this year and still out on the trails. )

Dartmoor will be my first port of call to test it out.

Just now, Killybegs said:

Yamaha. Less resistance when not using e-power.

The Bosch system has more resistance to my way of thinking / testing / riding, I reckon Yamaha have currently got it right.

Enjoy !!!

G

p.s. pity about e-bike speed restrictions :yahoo_mini:

I have a soft spot for the Bosch system as I was closely involved in the development of the manufacturing of the battery systems, and worked closely with the Bosch team in Germany and France.  Happy days!

my two wheel transport is perhaps less environmentally friendly...

00AA2C9F-FD14-40A8-BFE6-7C2EB70996F0.jpeg.9ac62b417e266ff687497df07cec18bc.jpeg

Over 41 years old & still going strong...

best

Simon

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

John,

Nice looking High Level chassis? I did one in EM for a Pendon Pannier, last year. Went together and ran beautifully.

On the body, did you fill the huge holes with plastic card plugs or some sort of filler/modelling putty, prior to fixing the new hand rails, lamp irons and fire iron rests? I've got the same issue on my Bachmann Ivatt 2 tank body and was wondering about the best method.

Dave.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

John

That Pannier is looking really good - amazing what can be done with the RTR moulding. 

Just wondering how you have dealt with pick-ups on this chassis?  I've got one nearly complete in P4 and am having a real struggle getting reliable, invisible pick-ups fitted.

Thanks

Jeremy

This particular loco is destined to just sit on the shed and is therefore not powered. The last High level pannier chassis I built has plunger pick ups. These use the bushes from Alan Gibson pickups but the plungers are brass rod drilled to take a length of phosphor bronze wire which provides much softer springing.

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, jbg said:

Thanks John, I’ll have to have a look at how to do that to see if I can make it work. 

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Here's a very quick sketch of the system I used.

675474564_Details13.jpg.e7b0eb17e85cc8a8389f04982ac8e9d9.jpg

• Informative/Useful 4

On 12/07/2019 at 12:54, Killybegs said:

This particular loco is destined to just sit on the shed and is therefore not powered. The last High level pannier chassis I built has plunger pick ups. These use the bushes from Alan Gibson pickups but the plungers are brass rod drilled to take a length of phosphor bronze wire which provides much softer springing.

Lot of work for a "static model".  Looks amazing.  Someone surprised you're not powering it, "just in case"