Worseter - update

Killybegs

• RMweb Gold

35 each for loaded and empties, but then you’ve got to consider another pair of full length rakes for hoppers, and the South Wales-Kingswinford cole traffic, and spares of each if there is a traffic flow in the opposite direction so you can have empties passing empties or loadeds passing loadeds. 

Plus your part fitted trains will have a dozen or so minerals behind the fitted head, not to mention fitted ones in the fitted head or running unfitted in the unfitted portion, or flows of 21ton steel or wooden double door minerals to power stations. That’s pushing 200 or so 9’ wheelbase wagons alone.  A location such as this will have seen over a thousand wagons in each direction every day, though a good number of these will have been at night. 

Then there are your local goods and pickups, and loco coal.   All individually and correctly numbered, no duplicates, in correct numbering style and livery.  

Enjoy...

My own BLT has two mineral rakes of a dozen wagons each, but I could easily justify double that and a couple of rakes of double door or hoppers; it is only lack of fiddle yard track footage that restrains me.  And I can still justify a few spares for the pickup.  

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I think its based on, or a model of, one in Worcester over the Worcester and Birmingham canal, between Shrub Hill and Foregate St.  I have a vague recollection a shot of a Castle, possibly Clun, crossing it in a combined volume,  but it’s a long time ago and I’m very old; so are you if you are remembering the same photo!

1 minute ago, The Johnster said:

I think its based on, or a model of, one in Worcester over the Worcester and Birmingham canal, between Shrub Hill and Foregate St.  I have a vague recollection a shot of a Castle, possibly Clun, crossing it in a combined volume,  but it’s a long time ago and I’m very old; so are you if you are remembering the same photo!

Old enough- it was in a picture book( b &w about A4 format) title may be Book of Trains for Boys or  British Rail Today....

The bridge is indeed based on that at Worcester, between Foregate Street and Shrub Hill. I first came across it in Colin Gifford's book Decline of Steam back in the mid 60's. Yes it is a Castle crossing the bridge in his photograph, 7002 Devizes Castle. I have visited the site more times than I care to remember, seeing the canal progress from being an unloved  and abused waterway to the great public leisure asset is today.

• Like 5

I've been building the layout off and on for nearly twenty years and there's a long way to go yet. 

The canal lock was introduced to create a scenic break.

Edited by Killybegs
correction
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

For a bit of a change, I am finishing outstanding bits and pieces on some of my locos. First up is the ex GW Mogul. I have done a bit of work on the pony truck including introducing some springing to keep it on track on curves and also made a few changes to the tender including work to the draw bar, adding some weight and making and fixing an AJ coupling. Here it is making its way along the embankment on a local pick-up goods.

Apologies for the squeaks from the wheels on my chair!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft_ivzQLOv4&feature=youtu.be

Edited by Killybegs
addition
  • Like 11

• 2 weeks later...