Worseter - update

Killybegs

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Killybegs said:

There's been quite a lot of progress since my last posting!

I appreciated just how much work goes into making, then converting the 7mm version John so I take my hat off to your skills with the 4mm loco in original form.

G

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

John.

What suspension arrangements have you got on this tender? The front and middle axle bearing are in slots but both sitting very near the top.

Regarding the coal-space strapping, now you've remarked on it, it will eat away at you, so you'll have to do something - even if it's just cover them with a full coal load!

Looking good, otherwise.

Dave.

Hi Dave. It has a compensation beam bearing on the front and middle axles, all part of the kit. The chassis is sitting level, so everything is working OK. I suppose I could have opened the front one up a bit but as it's probably only ever going to run on Worseter, I think approx 0.5mm of upward travel is sufficient. I have sent it whizzing through a series of turnouts and slips in the fiddle yard which it negotiated very smoothly. The loco will use CSB's. With regard to the strapping, the 2 offending items will be hidden by the fire iron tray so they will be left as I would undoubtedly end up doing more damage tweaking them!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've made a start on the loco. As it's going to have csb suspension, I need to know how much it will weigh at the end of the day, so I have been messing around with bits of lead. There's not a lot of room in the 28 but I think I can add about 160gm of lead to the estimated weight of the kit giving a total of 300gm. Not as much as I would like but it will have to do.

2017820733_Loco01.jpg.20be81b18ea34c3d59763508e221c34b.jpg

Next up were the coupling rods. These have pinned joints using 1.0mm dia n/s rod. The holes for the crankpins were drilled out slightly undersize then opened up with a broach once the two halves had been soldered together. The holes for the pins needed a little light work with a broach. 

283996987_Loco02.jpg.e90ec5438fd30d8d5840a21789118f5e.jpg

To prevent everything getting soldered up solid, I use very thin tissue paper to separate the parts before loading them onto the 1.0mm bar clamped vertically in the vice. The tissue paper is then soaked in clock oil before a mix of solder paste and Powerflow fux is placed carefully around the joint. A quick dab with the RSU probe and there you are. The other 'end' of the RSU has a crocodile clip which is clipped onto the vice. The excess of wire is cut off and the back of the joint soldered smooth. Once out of the vice, the other end is similarly treated but left slightly proud of the coupling rod.

168895345_Loco03.jpg.3aec64cb80c1ae2d0530e3b991597ae9.jpg

757388463_Loco04.jpg.55914d6acffa2f50439f6612c0994336.jpg

Next on the list will be drilling the hornblocks for the handrail knobs that will be hung on the csb. When I loaded the 8 hornblocks onto a length of 1/8" rod in preparation for making a jig, I noticed that there was quite a range of thicknesses. I got out my supply of High Level hornblocks and made up a set of 8 that were all within a 0.1mm range.

471801021_Loco05.jpg.ac6cdb9b2b7d9b23ae76f902a255b1f9.jpg

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

John, 

I’m not sure it’s much help, but my 7mm 28xx scales in at a kilo for the loco, which would be around 186g in 4mm if my sums are right.   She’ll pull a reasonable, if unusual train.  Video in link below.

atb

Simon

Edited by Simond

John,

On some recent models, I've tried oiling the paper barrier, as you describe - I use cigarette paper - but found the oil must have wicked into the joint and I just couldn't get the solder to take. As a result, I've reverted to using the paper dry but with the part not being soldered chemically blackened. So far, so good.

Dave.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3