Worseter - update

Killybegs

3 hours ago, Simond said:

John, 

I’m not sure it’s much help, but my 7mm 28xx scales in at a kilo for the loco, which would be around 186g in 4mm if my sums are right.   She’ll pull a reasonable, if unusual train.  Video in link below.

atb

Simon

There's certainly nothing wrong with your arithmetic Simon! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Dave Holt said:

John,

On some recent models, I've tried oiling the paper barrier, as you describe - I use cigarette paper - but found the oil must have wicked into the joint and I just couldn't get the solder to take. As a result, I've reverted to using the paper dry but with the part not being soldered chemically blackened. So far, so good.

Dave.

To save the mess of chemically blackening, I use a Sharpie or similar felt pen, quicker and wipes off afterwards.

Mike.

• Informative/Useful 5

John,

That's the sort of forward planning I admire. Although I do try to do lats of planning, there have been occasions when I've rushed in and then regretted it - like chopping out the horn slots and then wishing I left them in to locate axle centres or, as you have, align the frames for drilling.

I commend your more organised approach.

Dave.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Dave Holt said:

John,

That's the sort of forward planning I admire. Although I do try to do lats of planning, there have been occasions when I've rushed in and then regretted it - like chopping out the horn slots and then wishing I left them in to locate axle centres or, as you have, align the frames for drilling.

I commend your more organised approach.

Dave.

Me, planning? You could say that although I do sometimes think I might over do it! (secretly, I enjoy playing in Autocad)

Planning.jpg.ed88cdec7798228c53a4b0d3136dfaa8.jpg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Duncan.

There's also white and blue - so i suspect the colours help avoid mixing up axleboxes/wheel sets, in due course. I'm sure John will explain the real purpose.

I'm intrigued by the little "ape-hanger" handlebars sticking up from the top edge of the frames - or, perhaps, stylised reindeer antlers?

Dave.

You are quite correct Dave re the colours. The handlebars have me puzzled too. I have checked photos and the GA's (admittedly for the later Collett version) and can't find anything. The oil boxes are mounted on the rectangular frames further back. The best way of finding out what they are for would be to cut them off as I would then find the answer the following day!

• Friendly/supportive 1

The springs are supplied with the kit and comprise 3 etched laminations. They are designed to be soldered in place. I have modified them slightly so that the legs on the retainer can be soldered to the rear of the centre etch. This just involved cutting off one end of the inner etch.

• Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 13/03/2021 at 09:27, Killybegs said:

Just found another pic in GWRJ #34. They are part of the linkage to the sanding gear.

WRONG!!  I have had another look at the pics and drawings and they are nothing to do with the sanding gear! I think Simon was quite right, they do appear to be mountings for the oil boxes to the front drivers. Why they are a different shape to those for the middle drivers, I don't know. There are six oil boxes in the kit but no info to confirm where they go. Sorry for earlier misinformation and apologies to Simon.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

John

please don't apologise, I should have put a "?" after my comment, because I had not looked at the drawings, I have a recollection, no more than that!

I shall go have a look at my references tonight.  See if I can shed any light

atb

Simon

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Killybegs said:

WRONG!!  I have had another look at the pics and drawings and they are nothing to do with the sanding gear! I think Simon was quite right, they do appear to be mountings for the oil boxes to the front drivers. Why they are a different shape to those for the middle drivers, I don't know. There are six oil boxes in the kit but no info to confirm where they go. Sorry for earlier misinformation and apologies to Simon.

When you say oil boxes do you mean the oil lubrication which was /is around the axleboxes or the separate oil boxes on the running plate which have to be topped up daily?