Worseter - update

Killybegs

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Killybegs said:

That explains it. The later set up was fitted from 2856 onwards!

I suspect the difference might be to do with the fixings. The middle ones sit on a frame stretcher that goes accross the frames at that point, where as the one on the front is attached on the back of the spasher. 

In terms of the engine, knowing the group it will be accurate to the engine as it was. 

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Simond said:

Looks to me (much to my surprise) that the one on the second axle is fixed to the splasher top.

I've got a photo somewhere from when the boiler was out showing it. Sadly at the moment the shed is off limits due to covid as the paid staff are working 5 on 5 off in bubbles so can't go and take some photos. 

I took these of 2857's 'waggly bits' when it first came into service - probably not showing the bits you're interested in, but it does show the lubrication pipes heading down to the axlebox.

IMG_0284.JPG

IMG_0285.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 16/03/2021 at 14:43, BenW said:

I took these of 2857's 'waggly bits' when it first came into service ...

One thing is for sure - it will never be that clean again!

Great modelling John - thanks for the continuing updates.

Cheers,

Howard

Coming along nicely, John, and very neat workmanship.

Going back to the "handlebar" discussion, I checked the frames of 2807, at work today, and can confirm that they, and the various "goal post" brackets all have large, flat(ish), 4 feed oil pots mounted to their inner faces - presumably to lubricate the axles box and horn guides.

Dave.

• Thanks 1

I think they are meant to represent the mounting for the spring centre, the ends of which are attached to the horn blocks, and providing some equalisation between adjacent axles. 

The spring mounting arrangement was different between early and later 28xx. 

52 minutes ago, Killybegs said:

I have a question. Does anyone know what the bits circled on the photo of the frame overlays represent? In photos of the prototype they are hidden by the brake hangers.

1612139225_Loco18.jpg.519d908bbd1031f30f2991bb3dcef605.jpg

I think they are the pivot points for equalising bars.

Duncan

• Agree 1

Thanks everyone. The consensus is that 'the prototype has a beam compensation between the springs and these are to represent the pivot points of the beam'.

Edited by Killybegs
  • Agree 1