Worseter - update

Killybegs

2 hours ago, Simond said:

John,

will you insulate the backs of the brakes?  Araldite & fag paper?

cheers

Simon

That's a new one to me Simon. What point of contact would you be worried about?

Hi Simon. I have checked the chassis with a meter and nothing is shorting out at the moment. I set the brake shoes level with the outer face of the wheels when they are dead centre on the chassis and that should give enough clearance as the side play on the centre axles will be less than 0.5mm.

• Like 4

It may be less of a concern in 4mm, counterintuitively, but I had issues getting some common motors into wasp-waisted Belpaire boxes in 7mm.  I presume your tubes are far enough apart?

looks excellent.  I built one Finney kit, a 47xx, and I have to say the kit was a joy to put together.  

atb

Simon

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The motor was rather a tight fit so I have filed the tubes down a bit to give myself a little more play room. I have also raised the height of the opening between the firebox and boiler for the same reason. I think it's still going to be a fairly tricky exercise uniting chassis and body. I won't have a gearbox until High Level reopen for business so can't do a full insertion test at the moment!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 19/04/2021 at 12:33, Killybegs said:

2822 undergoing weight distribution trials prior to fixing boiler/smokebox to footplate/firebox.

2127880946_Loco31.jpg.61cdb4a0ea87ff2a717d58066c3ab251.jpg

Hi John,

I ticked your original post as 'informative' but could you explain how you weigh each axle, do you have something like a weigh bridge?

Thanks

Duncan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Duncan. said:

Hi John,

I ticked your original post as 'informative' but could you explain how you weigh each axle, do you have something like a weigh bridge?

Thanks

Duncan

Nothing so sophisticated, I'm afraid. I do some initial calculations taking into account the space available then load up a steel rule with the estimated quantities of lead in their approx locations in relation to the centre of the overall wheel base represented by a length of tube on which the rule should balance. Adjustments can be made at this stage. Once the loco is at a suitable state of construction, I load it with lead based on the previous exercise and adjust the mount of lead until the loco sits level and at the correct height.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• 6 months later...