Worseter - update

Killybegs

The latest little project is the ground frame controlling the road crossing. This is based on Soudley No 1 Crossing on the GWR's Forest of Dean branch. I suppose I will have to knock up something to go inside before I put a roof on. As the prototype had horizontal sliding sash windows, the wall panels were made up of 6 layers of white and clear styrene, see my cutting notes below.

post-7952-0-91380700-1520772581_thumb.jpg

post-7952-0-76493900-1520772606_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

No sign of collision damage on the gates (yet). I bet the real ones took a hammering.........

Tony

The gates do not open/close across the road, so any collision with the gates would involve a loco/wagon and any such collision would probably prove fatal for the gates. However, as the crossing is protected by catch points it shouldn't happen. Vehicular traffic is controlled by signals and a man with a red flag.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Was that the crossing over the Tolladine Road? Where the track used to lead up in diesel days?

I'm really enjoying this as Worcester was a place I wish I'd got to in steam days, but finding photos of anything much except the shed, is pretty difficult.

Was that the crossing over the Tolladine Road? Where the track used to lead up in diesel days?

I'm really enjoying this as Worcester was a place I wish I'd got to in steam days, but finding photos of anything much except the shed, is pretty difficult.

The crossing is loosely based on the Shrub Hill Road Crossing on the Vinegar Branch in Worcester.

• RMweb Gold

Morning John.

Can I ask how you made the signage for the ground frame ?

Rob

Morning John.

Can I ask how you made the signage for the ground frame ?

Rob

I did the artwork in Publisher (but I'm sure there are other suitable software packages). I used white lettering on a very dark grey background and printed it Epson Archival Matte photographic paper which is quite thick (I happen to have quite a large stock of it). It was then cut out leaving a white border around the dark back ground and secured in place with superglue.

• Like 1

Here's a little something I knocked up this morning. I'm not sure what it was used for originally but, looking at the photograph of the original, it seems to have ended up as a rubbish bin!

post-7952-0-65836600-1521927647.jpg   post-7952-0-61625700-1521927665.jpg

• Like 13

Here's a little something I knocked up this morning. I'm not sure what it was used for originally but, looking at the photograph of the original, it seems to have ended up as a rubbish bin!

attachicon.gifBunker 01s.jpg   attachicon.gifBunker 02.jpg

Nice model John, Looks like sand in there with the rubbish but as it is open to the elements wet sand would be of little use. Ash bin maybe? I have a photo of a similar receptacle made of concrete used for ash at Barrow Road.

Robin

Here's a little something I knocked up this morning.

....as you do. Was that really the work of a morning? I would have thought the painting, alone, would have taken several days.

A very nice representation of the mysterious original all the same.

Dave.

....as you do. Was that really the work of a morning? I would have thought the painting, alone, would have taken several days.

A very nice representation of the mysterious original all the same.

Dave.

Actually, not a lot over two hours. Partly because rather than being painted, it has been treated with gun blue.

• Like 1

Nice model John, Looks like sand in there with the rubbish but as it is open to the elements wet sand would be of little use. Ash bin maybe? I have a photo of a similar receptacle made of concrete used for ash at Barrow Road.

Robin

It was next door to the dry sand store and furnace (both subsequently demolished), so it could have held wet sand waiting to be dried.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifBunker 01s.jpg   attachicon.gifBunker 02.jpg

Very nice work John and beautifully weathered - I seem to recall that such things were coated in tar for protection rather like some buffer stops and bridge girders. 

There was an iron bunker very similar to yours at Maiden Newton where it functioned as a coal bunker for the steam engine in the pump house which raised water from a well for the locomotive water supply.  I could bore for hours on the 'dodgy' locomotive water supply at MN but I won't!  Isn't there something similar still extant at Didcot - it's certainly something that was found elsewhere on the GWR and seemingly provided by the Locomotive Dept.  And don't you think your bunker looks to be related in some way to an 'Iron Mink' which probably dates it and indicates that it was made at Swindon?

Well done - a very characteristic GWR item!

Gerry

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

John, what is your preferred 'undercarriage' for your wagons?

We have a large quantity of wagons to build and the decision is yet to be made whether to go fixed, compensated or sprung chassis or maybe a combination!

John, what is your preferred 'undercarriage' for your wagons?

We have a large quantity of wagons to build and the decision is yet to be made whether to go fixed, compensated or sprung chassis or maybe a combination!

I use the chassis that comes with the kit. I have never been a great believer in suspension on short wheelbase wagons, so I use Alan Gibson waisted pin point bearings with Exactoscale wheel sets. I do 'tidy up' the plastic brake gear which can be a bit chunky. As most of my stock will be viewed on the move from a distance, I am happy with this arrangement. I have used Rumney Models chassis on wagons that lurk at the front of the layout - see earlier posts on this thread.

Probably still the only 9F in P4 which is running on the correct pattern wheels. The rest of us wait in hope that there might be a correct wheel one day that doesn't need too much re-engineering.....!

Or re-mortgage the house?