Worseter - update

Killybegs

Just catching up John and definitely looking the part.

I would agree with your decision to simplify the trusses, and I am sure it will look the part when it is all done.

Grahame

• 2 weeks later...

By now I was hoping to show you the roof complete with glazing and louvres.The louvres are in and the glazing is fabricated and ready to be installed. Well not quite. At the last moment, I remembered that on the rear side of the main roof the smoke vents penetrate the glazing and would therefore need making, painting and fixing in place prior to the glazing being installed. Cut outs would also have to be made in the glazing itself. There are only 8 smoke vents penetrating the glazing, but all 20 vents really need making and painting in one go. I have made a start! Similarly the brick chimnies to the office accommodation penetrate their own bit of roof glazing, so these have also been brought forward in the building programme. They are now awaiting the paint brush prior to fixing in place.

post-7952-0-11287400-1541797809_thumb.jpg

post-7952-0-07078500-1541797820_thumb.jpg 

This may be the last time you see the back of the shed!!!!!

• Like 19

John,

Just caught up! Thanks for the link - I shall go back and read your thread from the beginning, there’s some lovely work here.

The sheds looking the part! I too am facing splitting the smoke hoods where they go through the end walls, same issue, and 8 had envisaged a very similar solution. I hadn’t thought of doing the rainwater goods whilst it was all flat, I suppose because mine was all in bits. Anyway, I’ll 3D print them when the time comes.

Following with interest

Best

Simon

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

At long last, I have finally finished assembling the smoke vents. Nearly 600 pieces of styrene had to be cut out and put together. They have now had a light coat of primer and a coat of cream. Once that has hardened off, the framing will be brush painted in chocolate and finally they will all need weathering. Because of their position in the roof glazing, the ones on the rear of the roof need fixing before the walkways. The front ones will be fixed after the walkways and before tiling commences.

post-7952-0-23533600-1542978912_thumb.jpg

In between applying coats of paint on the vents, I have made a start on cleaning up the etched components for the walkway brackets and made a start on soldering them up.

post-7952-0-75531300-1542978920_thumb.jpg

post-7952-0-72138400-1542978936_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Couldn't resist putting together the short walkway over the offices.

Here's the walkway still on the assembly jig. This is a bit of oak left over from when the kitchen was put in 18 years ago (I don't throw much away), with saw cuts to hold the brackets in place. The cuts were made with a piercing saw to a depth and slope to match the profile of the underside of the brackets. I didn't want to risk the brackets coming apart, so I used a lower melt solder paste to fix the boards but you can never be too careful.

post-7952-0-53365400-1543064981_thumb.jpg

... and here it is off the jig.

post-7952-0-96345000-1543064988_thumb.jpg

post-7952-0-09342800-1543064995_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

The chimneys look a bit better now that they are painted!

attachicon.gifProgress 12s.jpg

Looking very good John.

I notice you've done the clerestory/vent roof on the shed. How did you go about that? I've something very similar to do for the station roof on Cheddar.

Keep up the good work

Looking very good John.

I notice you've done the clerestory/vent roof on the shed. How did you go about that? I've something very similar to do for the station roof on Cheddar.

Keep up the good work

Below is a scan from my notebook. I built the louvres onto a sheet of 0.5mm styrene then trimmed it to size afterwards. It's much easier working on a stable sheet than on a narrow strip of thin styrene. Build order:

1. Top and bottom rails to backing sheet

2. Divisions between panels. I used 2 thicknesses of 0.75mm, it's easier to cut accurately than 1.50mm. The real thing was probably built as a series of panels anyway, so there would have been 2 vertical members between the louvres,

3. Bottom spacer. This runs the length of each panel/bay and is critical as it sets the height and angle of the louvres. 

4. Bottom louvre.

5. Full length spacer

6. Repeat 4 & 5

7. Top louvre

8. Sand back leading edge of louvres. This, together with the splayed bottom edge, gives the impression of thinner material.

I built a single panel first to check that everything worked OK.

Hope this is useful.

post-7952-0-88783400-1543071193_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The first of the full length walkways is now finished and ready for the paint shop. Needless to say, I had to see how it looked in-situ. What this did show me was that I would need to do the slating before I fixed the walkway as, otherwise, the top rows of slates would be difficult to fix. This meant that I could finish fixing the smoke vents, which I need to do before starting the slating. I had been worried that these would get in the way when fixing the walkway but, in fact, they will help hold the walkway in place while the glue sets. So here it is with all the smoke vents fitted. 

attachicon.gifProgress 14.jpg

I think that I will still get on and finish the walkways, get them painted and put them somewhere safe before I make a start on the slating.

Just make sure you do !

Absolutely excellent modelling and certainly set off with the smoke vents, a BIG thumbs up from me.

G

Edited by bgman
  • Like 1

The first of the full length walkways is now finished and ready for the paint shop. Needless to say, I had to see how it looked in-situ. What this did show me was that I would need to do the slating before I fixed the walkway as, otherwise, the top rows of slates would be difficult to fix. This meant that I could finish fixing the smoke vents, which I need to do before starting the slating. I had been worried that these would get in the way when fixing the walkway but, in fact, they will help hold the walkway in place while the glue sets. So here it is with all the smoke vents fitted. 

attachicon.gifProgress 14.jpg

I think that I will still get on and finish the walkways, get them painted and put them somewhere safe before I make a start on the slating.

Looks fantastic, excellent modelling.

Robin

Slating is continuing at a steady pace. The plain areas can be quite relaxing but I don't know where the time goes. However, I need to stop playing trains for a while and make a start on the ever expanding list of household chores before I get shown a yellow card. In the meantime, a progress pic.

post-7952-0-38335300-1544616603_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Looking very nice! How are the slates made, please?

I print them out on good quality 80g/m2 A4 printer paper. In a  Microsoft Excel spread sheet, I set the column width to 14 pixels and the row height to 32 pixels. This gives you (as near as makes no difference) slates 4 x 8mm or 12" x 24" at 4mm/ft. I use light borders (dotted on the menu) around all cells and use a suitable fill colour for the whole sheet. You could make some  individual cells a slightly different shade if you wish. This will not be the final colour, they will be toned down a bit on completion. 

Very narrow slots approx 3.5-4mm long are cut between the slates before the strip is removed from the sheet. I use neat PVA applied to the roof to fix the strips. Do not try applying the PVA to the paper! I lightly scribe the styrene sheet used for the roof surface before it is assembled. These lines give a top edge for the slates and for 4 x 8 slates these would normally be 3.5mm apart. However, to replicate the prototype that I am using, I have set mine 3.25mm apart. Immediately prior to fixing slates I run a pencil along the etched lines to make them more visible. To aid adhesion you can also scribe the styrene diagonally. This can be done freehand with the tip of a scalpel, it doesn't have to be pretty.

Hope you find this useful.