48 minutes ago, Mike Boucher said:

Lot of work for a "static model".  Looks amazing.  Someone surprised you're not powering it, "just in case"

Not really. The detail (or lack of) on a static loco at the front of the layout will be much more obvious than on one trundling around. I will have at least two powered panniers which will be more than enough.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I have made a start on butchering the next pannier. This is an earlier 57xx, again starting with the Bachmann body. The pic below shows just how much of the main body casting needs removing (along with the balance pipe stubs). The steps have been removed for fining down as they also need a minor relocation. Handrail knob holes have been filled. The knobs on this body were much courser than those on the previous pannier.

357956920_Details01.jpg.6ac625542cc799cd5480acedbe8b90d3.jpg

Edited by Killybegs
text correction
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

John,

Good point about the level of detail versus location on the layout, but it does seem a lot of effort. I'm particularly impressed with the pipe flanges and clips and the super-fine sanding operating rods/linkage.

Dave.

• Thanks 1

The pipe flanges are from the Martin Finney range of detailing bits now marketed by Brassmasters. You get 16 round and 18 oval flanges on the etch.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I was perusing photographs while working on the second pannier when I realised that I had not fitted an ATC pick up on the first one. Using a cast white metal one from an un-built kit as a reference, I fabricated two from black styrene sheet. They are not super detailed but, as they are tucked away under the locos, that doesn't really matter. Their location clashes with the rear chassis fixing, so I filed the heads of  a couple of M2 bolts to a square profile to fit inside the pick ups. Hopefully, a dab of paint will hold them in place.

833525239_Details03.jpg.c1fa312ccfba7603d95b58b9cac398f4.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Another set of sanding operating gear duly manufactured and awaiting installation.

906045079_Details04.jpg.a1f44adad00e3e95aed3c7703dff4be4.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Manufactured, Now that sounds easy, They look nice and big in the picture, But they are Tiny, Nice work, Way too small for me, I would have lost them a couple of times as well.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Not until after I had done the first one. It only takes a few hours to file up a set. If I had any more to do I might have gone down that road.

Looking at the photo of the etch, the link at the front end of the operating lever should be facing forward, not parallel to the one at the other end.

Edited by Killybegs
additional info

That's just a lovely sight to behold. The Castle's especially nice.

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

Hi John,

That was good of her but I'm sure they all enjoyed your talk. Did they ask for a running session?

Robin

A few locos shuffled around the shed. Main line running requires the bridge in place across the door, which could have caused a few access problems! I think they enjoyed themselves although it was the model of Killybegs station that was, not surprisingly, the biggest talking point. Must get around to finishing the train shed one day. 

• Like 7

Really interesting thread, great modelling.  Apologies if you've already said, but is Totnes Castle a Malcolm Mitchell kit of a Hornby model with a comet chassis?

On 15/11/2019 at 17:13, GWR8700 said:

Really interesting thread, great modelling.  Apologies if you've already said, but is Totnes Castle a Malcolm Mitchell kit of a Hornby model with a comet chassis?

Hornby body on a Malcolm Mitchell chassis

• Thanks 1

Currently putting the brake gear together but I couldn't resist a bit more fiddling with the ash pan!!

970151222_Progress10.jpg.ebb9b9140844a75972c01a637ed48fdb.jpg

I'm afraid my old set of 'assembly' wheels are starting to look a bit tired.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

I’d be well pleased with that in 7mm, nice work!

atb

Simon

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1