Worseter - update

Killybegs

• RMweb Gold

Will you be adding one of these to the Worseter stud John?

http://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/p/65551/MR-308-Rapido-Class-16XX-Steam-Locomotive-number-1661

Can see a Shrub Hill Rd diorama becoming popular.

Have a very Happy Christmas yourself and a successful 2020 - your modelling sets a standard that us mere mortals cannot dare aspire to!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's amazing what you can miss and how you never stop learning. I was on the computer looking for some old railway photographs which were filed under Railways/Prototypes/Old photographs. I found what I was looking for but then noticed that also under Prototypes there were two folders titled 36xx and 37xx. Opening them up I found loads of detail photographs that I must have taken years ago and forgotten all about! Needless to say, I perused them to make sure that all my deductions/assumptions, when detailing my two panniers, were correct. All OK except that I noticed reinforcing brackets to the brake hanger assemblies. I checked the GA drawing - not shown, publicity photo - not shown. I checked the photographs in my 'Pannier Papers' and there they were. There must have been a problem when the locos were first built and the additional bracing retro fitted. I have used brass channel filed to shape to represent them, not quite the correct profile but near enough. Another day and the chassis would have been in the paint shop!

1250250366_Progress16.jpg.8c837b8cfeb869cbaf45852e2ab44327.jpg

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Dave Holt said:

Wow! Cover of MRJ - some accolade. I thought there might be an article about your magnificent 9F but it turned out to be the shed building - still very impressive.

Dave.

And a very good article it was too.

Adrian

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Last summer when we were away down in Kerry, where Steph was helping with preparations for her niece's wedding, I had a few hours free one day when it was raining and I couldn't get out on the bike so I started work on a Parkside BR 13T Medfit. I never got further than putting the basic body together before I was summoned to do something or other. So yesterday, I dug it out and knocked up the chassis adding a bit of cosmetic brake rigging as it looked a bit bare. I was tidying up when I spotted 8 little bits of plastic left on the body sprue. After a lot of searching, I eventually found the instructions and discovered that they were end strengtheners. I hadn't spotted anything like them in the photo in the relevant Larkin 'Bible' so fired up the laptop and consulted Mr Bartlett. Sure enough, there they were but nothing like as bulky as the items on the sprue. I filled in the notch with slivers of 0.25mm styrene then capped them with more of the same, shaped to match the prototype. I think they will probably look OK once the wagon is painted as it's not intended to be a showcase model.

379025734_13TMedfit03.jpg.8bfbfd30a5d6c125ffd86161ab7f2dc9.jpg

383497721_13TMedfit01sm.jpg.d644adbe4a1f8010e2321f3e70e22d47.jpg    1872285104_13TMedfit02sm.jpg.e892ea359933d8f3da6b1f25099da494.jpg

Sprung buffers and couplings will be added once it is painted. Oh, and I suppose I ought to fit some vac pipes!

Edited by Killybegs
correction
  • Like 19

• 1 month later...

John, I have really enjoyed the thread, some fabulous modelling. 

A question though, you mention your mix for your shed ground, what exactly is in the mix?

The Layout I am building has lots of ash ballast but I am struggling to find anything suitable. I have thought of using some “real” ash ( from the Great Central Railway) but I have been told it’s very acidic.

So if you could explain what your “ magic” mixture that would be very helpful.

David

• Thanks 1

It's a mix of ash from our open fire and soot scraped from the throat of the chimney. We burn wood and coal on the fire and I use small sieves to produce a selection of different grades and colours which I can then mix to get the effect I want. I do trial patches before using it on the layout. As the track plan is fairly simple in the shed area, I was able to apply PVA in sections, drop lengths of rail in place (the exact positioning marked on the cork underlay shows through the PVA), then spread the ash mix using a sieve. When dry the surplus can be recovered for future use.

• Informative/Useful 1

John, thanks for the info on your ash ballast.

Just one follow up, any problems with the acidity of the mix? I am not a chemist so I don’t know if the acidity has any real impacts when it’s on the layout and if it remains dormant once the PVA has dried.

David

Hi John,

That's a lot of work. Just as well you've plenty to do otherwise you'd have to take several photos of the various stages.

I follow your thread but I never get notifications... very annoying.

Cheers

Duncan

On 17/05/2020 at 17:42, Killybegs said:

.... Hiding away at the back are some wagons made up from the old Airfix kits (of which I have rather a lot). The biggest thing here is modifying those awful door hinges and the pics show how this has been done. The buffers (less their heads) were fixed to the buffer beams, prior to assembly, and drilled out for sprung buffers. The W irons were modified to take the bearings in much the same way as detailed above. Then brackets on the end doors were reshaped and drilled out for 0.5mm n/s pins. Other final detailing under the doors and for the body support brackets was done with styrene strips.

001.jpg.f53823c2c1ddb7b4397eefb04cefa370.jpg002b.jpg.8204f731ce40978d48bd0ee9a26b9d69.jpg004a.jpg.dcdc879571f4c4a8abff61634c2131a2.jpg007a.jpg.4e0ed0e20488925dbe335f61f6aa9b69.jpg

All the wagons are weighted to approximately 25gm with the addition of lead to the underside of the body.

Next up is a visit to the paint shop.

Following this with interest as I still have several Airfix ones to complete.  When I started in P4 I conscientiously rebuilt all my 00 16-tonners to P4 with compensated W-irons, but your post suggests that's not really necessary.  I do weight mine to 25gm per axle though, ie 50gm per wagon, and replace the wee handles on the end doors with wire.

Alasdair

• Like 4

50gm is an awful lot of weight if you have a long train of them. Many years go I carried out a test between wagons with rocking W irons and the same wagons with a rigid chassis (like you,  I conscientiously built all my16-tonners to P4 with compensated W-irons). The rigid chassis won out and I glued up all my rocking W irons with epoxy! What I was found was that the compensation allowed the wheel to ride up just when you didn't want it to, causing a derailment. I was called a heretic at the time but, if your track is laid well, you do not need to compensate short wheelbase wagons. Now if you are going to propel wagons, I would certainly recommend springing the buffers. I do this on the majority of my wagons as a matter of course.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• 2 weeks later...

A wonderful scene, John. Mind, I'm a great admirer of your 9F, so that might be a biased opinion.

I imagine that your layout could be viewed to advantage sitting down, so that the embankment is above eye level, as it would be in real life.

Dave.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Dave Holt said:

A wonderful scene, John. Mind, I'm a great admirer of your 9F, so that might be a biased opinion.

I imagine that your layout could be viewed to advantage sitting down, so that the embankment is above eye level, as it would be in real life.

Dave.

Correct Dave, that pic was taken on my phone while sitting in my chair!

• Like 1