2 hours ago, Simond said:

John,

will you insulate the backs of the brakes?  Araldite & fag paper?

cheers

Simon

That's a new one to me Simon. What point of contact would you be worried about?

Hi John,

Blocks to wheel treads / flanges

they look wonderfully close, but I would want to be sure there’ll be no shorts!

atb

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Agree 1

Hi Simon. I have checked the chassis with a meter and nothing is shorting out at the moment. I set the brake shoes level with the outer face of the wheels when they are dead centre on the chassis and that should give enough clearance as the side play on the centre axles will be less than 0.5mm.

• Like 2
  • RMweb Gold

15 hours ago, Simond said:

Hi John,

Blocks to wheel treads / flanges

they look wonderfully close, but I would want to be sure there’ll be no shorts!

atb

Simon

It's special non conductive Irish brass, you should try it!

Mike.

It may be less of a concern in 4mm, counterintuitively, but I had issues getting some common motors into wasp-waisted Belpaire boxes in 7mm.  I presume your tubes are far enough apart?

looks excellent.  I built one Finney kit, a 47xx, and I have to say the kit was a joy to put together.  

atb

Simon

• Informative/Useful 1

The motor was rather a tight fit so I have filed the tubes down a bit to give myself a little more play room. I have also raised the height of the opening between the firebox and boiler for the same reason. I think it's still going to be a fairly tricky exercise uniting chassis and body. I won't have a gearbox until High Level reopen for business so can't do a full insertion test at the moment!

• Informative/Useful 1

I've made a start on the long list of things to do before fixing the boiler/smoke box. One of these is fitting the extra boiler support fitted to the earlier locos. The instructions tell you to solder it to the top of the frame spacer. Soldering .012" thick brass edge to edge did not appeal to me and, as the support would then sit a little low, I added a small strip to the bottom and soldered two strips of 0.012" brass either side. this enables it to slot over the frame spacer. It won't even need soldering in place as it's a snug fit and will be held in place by the boiler.

118148282_Loco29.jpg.8f4f4f0b2aeb3841d1a6952b0ab3918f.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8