Worseter - update

Killybegs

Brilliant stuff. I've followed your website for ages John, I didn't realise you had a thread. The bridge scene is lovely.

Look forward to seeing future updates.

Kind regards,

Nick.

Glad you found it Nick. I did put an entry on my blog about starting a Worseter thread. Hope all is going well on Horrabridge.

John

Just found this. Not my era but definitely my area!

Are you sure you don't want to run it in Blue/Grey? ;) I'd love to see a 119 going over the canal.

Guy

You mean something like this? I do have a kit waiting to be built but it will be green!

John

post-7952-0-46448800-1416993381_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

I have, at last, finished one side wall for the factory. Thankfully, because of the building's location, the other side and the back don't need detailing! The ogee gutter has been fitted at this stage as it forms part of the structure.

The sloping bits at the bottom are set a little bit lower than the adjoining ramp down to the wharf. These will no doubt grow weeds once the building is in place! There are still a couple of corbels to go in the top corners to support the overhanging parapet walls at the front and back of the building.

post-7952-0-02165700-1417277024_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

John,

That corner of your layout really is very well modelled, I'm more certain than ever that a trip to the Emerald Isle will be required in due course in order to admire the whole thing!

I'm surprised a mill would have such a large wall area with no windows, getting enough light into the middle of the floors was usually a major concern. I assume that's how the real thing was? What did the mill do?

Dave.

John,

That corner of your layout really is very well modelled, I'm more certain than ever that a trip to the Emerald Isle will be required in due course in order to admire the whole thing!

I'm surprised a mill would have such a large wall area with no windows, getting enough light into the middle of the floors was usually a major concern. I assume that's how the real thing was? What did the mill do?

Dave.

I haven't been able to find out its origin's. The prototype has all the windows on the North side, not unusual in industrial building - no sun shining in. Fortunately the North side on the model is against the backscene so I won't be worrying about modelling thirty windows. The road elevation has nine.

post-7952-0-81410400-1417596161_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

As you say..

I'm more familiar with north-lights in the form of a saw-toothed roof, commonly found in single storey weaving sheds in the North of England. Compared with, say, cotton mills, the mill at Worcester (Worseter) is very narrow, so I suppose sufficient light would be provided by windows in the end walls and the north facing walls only. In contrast, lighting was a major issue in cotton mills and the later steel framed examples had walls made almost entirely of windows , with only very thin brick pillars between. Lucky for you that you're modelling the south facing wall!

Work on cutting out the base layer is now complete. I'm glad the circular opening wasn't any smaller as it was at the limit of my Olfa cutter. The jambs of the window openings have been lined with brickwork. The other cut-outs are for the corbelled brickwork that will sit in these pockets. The lowest level of windows are smaller as street level is a fair bit higher than ground floor level, which is related to the level of the wharf.

post-7952-0-07464500-1417870807_thumb.jpg

Edited by Killybegs
  • Like 12

Thanks Colin, I saw that you had been busy, I've never had so many ratings at one go. It was rather strange to start with the coach but I had been putting some Worseter stuff on my blog prior to that. However, I can see from my blog that it was silent for nearly a year! 

The front wall is nearing completion. Some filling of unwanted mortar joints still to be done, then it's on to the windows. Once these are done the wall can be fixed in place, when it will be properly aligned and the corbels supporting the parapet fitted. The copings to the parapet wall will probably go on once the roof is in place

post-7952-0-69645500-1418393976_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

John,

Sorry that I lost touch with your thread (trying to follow too many as Joanna would confirm!) but I've now become a 'follower! Apologies for the sudden rash of ratings.

As usual, very high standard of modelling indeed, thanks for the inspiration,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 1

John,

Sorry that I lost touch with your thread (trying to follow too many as Joanna would confirm!) but I've now become a 'follower! Apologies for the sudden rash of ratings.

As usual, very high standard of modelling indeed, thanks for the inspiration,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Jock, you are most welcome and thanks for the kind comments.

The front wall has now been fixed, so it's corbels next and then the roof.

post-7952-0-63376900-1418727786_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

John

I had no idea there was a thread, I usually pick up what you've been up to on your blog. So glad I found this. Any chance you'll be at Railex next year? 

kindest regards

Mike

Hi Mike,

Glad you found it! Not sure about Railex next year as 'holiday plans' for May are not yet finalised.

best regards,

John