Class 52 sound

Dan Bennett

Speaking as from a few years ago, I bought the South West Digital sounds for my Heljan Western. I found that, while the sounds themselves were really good, they forced you to drive to the sounds, whereas I much prefer the sounds to match my driving of the loco.

With that in mind, I had the decoder (an ESU LokSound v3.5) reblown by Howes. The sounds are equally as good as the SWD ones but the driving experience is much better and more responsive.

I am not sure if any changes have been made since the changeover to LokSound v4 decoders - if so, my comments may be out of date.

If you look in the DCC Sound section, I, and many other people, have posted videos of our sound locos to assist people like you to assess whether or not they like what they see and hear before forking out large amounts of money for a decoder.

of course, even if you decide you don't like what you chose after all, it is not all that expensive to get them reblown by an alternative supplier or even with completely different sounds.

• RMweb Gold

All of my Class 52 Westerns and Class 42 Warships have ESU Loksound v4 sound decoders installed, and provide excellent sound quality.

Installation is also quick and simple to complete.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Compbck which company's sound recordings are on your ESU decoders?

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I recently refreshed my YouChoos Class 52 and Class 42 sounds for Zimo. The Class 52 in particular had a lot of rework compared to the old CT project, so a big improvement.

Thanks for the reply John. I tried the digitrains version as I had ready ordered this by the time you replied. It is impressive, however I'm not satisfied with the sound on full power. Class 52s should have a very noticeable "scream" on full power, a bit like the HSTs used to, and the digitrains version doesn't have this.

It is am demonstrated well in this video:

Does your version have this John?

Archived