Hornby K1

davidw

I have just taken delivery of three of these wonderful locos and all of them have the wonky footplate! I have dismantled one of them to fit a decoder so while apart I had a look at the footplate. On the side that was wonky I found the location where one of the sandboxes were fitted to be the culprit in that its locating pin and glue were pushing down on the chassis causing it to lift the footplate. Simple solution file off the excess glue and part of pin that sticks through which seems to have cured the problem.

Ian

Hi all

Took the k1 apart last night, Silverlink is correct, up and down like been on a fair ground ride

post-4503-0-87887800-1418901305_thumb.jpg

Hi all

Took the k1 apart last night, Silverlink is correct, up and down like been on a fair ground ride

Sounds like most K1's are afflicted with the wonky running plate which will have to be repaired by the owner, if it is considered offensive.

This is really an unacceptable quality problem from Hornby and this should have been fixed at source. A new purchase should not require repairs as soon as you get it home.

What is more, once you've taken file to model, your warranty will be invalidated. Worse, if during the rework you damage something, would Hornby do the honourable thing? I doubt it.

I will be undertaking the same repair with the same risks. Would we do the same if we had just bought a new dishwasher, television or car?

The problem is that we've become used to such poor service that anything is acceptable. The press and some parts of this forum give the manufacturers repeated pats on the back for a superbly detailed model but you don't see any comment about the faults which modellers have had to correct because the prospect of sending it back doesn't bear thinking about. With all models affected, what can you expect as a replacement?

With most if not all models to be affected in this way, it is inconceivable that someone within the Hornby quality system was not aware of it. If this is the case, it suggests a complete disregard for the customer.

As I suggested earlier in this thread, it is time that these people grasped the concept of customer culture. It is us who are keeping them in business.

Bob 

• Like 2

Sounds like most K1's are afflicted with the wonky running plate which will have to be repaired by the owner, if it is considered offensive.

This is really an unacceptable quality problem from Hornby and this should have been fixed at source. A new purchase should not require repairs as soon as you get it home.

What is more, once you've taken file to model, your warranty will be invalidated. Worse, if during the rework you damage something, would Hornby do the honourable thing? I doubt it.

I will be undertaking the same repair with the same risks. Would we do the same if we had just bought a new dishwasher, television or car?

The problem is that we've become used to such poor service that anything is acceptable. The press and some parts of this forum give the manufacturers repeated pats on the back for a superbly detailed model but you don't see any comment about the faults which modellers have had to correct because the prospect of sending it back doesn't bear thinking about. With all models affected, what can you expect as a replacement?

With most if not all models to be affected in this way, it is inconceivable that someone within the Hornby quality system was not aware of it. If this is the case, it suggests a complete disregard for the customer.

As I suggested earlier in this thread, it is time that these people grasped the concept of customer culture. It is us who are keeping them in business.

Bob 

Hi all,

Bob,think you are spot on, although just like the real thing off it goes back to the works for attention, now then if only darlington north road was still open!!!!

Got me thinking just how many of this first batch are like this though?....

Regards

Craig

Rather than being a slip up at the production stage it seems to me to be a design error at source.

The footplate is flexible under finger pressure.

To me that means it is not fit for purpose.

If I work on it then bang goes the warranty.

If I send it back I have little chance of getting a replacement.

Time for Hornby to hold their hands up and issue a recall?

Models to be returned at a time that suits the customer of course.

Bernard

Maybe we are all victims of sharp marketing practice that most companies/corporations partake in now?

With regard to Hornby and the K1; First consumers were led to believe that 62027 was going to arrive before Christmas but then a definite announcement  that no K1s would be seen before April 2015. Suddenly.. . they are here... Queue clamour and "panic buying" and then less of a tendency for the end consumer to complain about any perceived fault, large or small, just because he has managed to acquire his or her desirable object.

I don't buy that a business is so out of touch with its manufacturer and supply/delivery chain that it is taken by surprise when a product turns up  in the delivery bay.

There has been speculation that Hornby may have arranged to have a delivery flown in but regardless,  and although it's not my place to say it, they should have rescinded and amended  their earlier "expected delivery" statements.

The running plate problem should have been noted and corrected before delivery. If it turns out that the majority of running plates are wavy, (give it time and the power of the internet) Hornby should at very least be acknowledging it by offering a solution and making sure it doesn't' t occur on subsequent releases.

As previous posters have noted it looks like there is a solution that involves a little modelling but there are those who would never want to do this.

As has been said you would not be expected to knock out a body panel ding or stitch up a split seat seam on a newly delivered car.

Porcy

Who's  in Grump mode and wondering if someone at Hornby Towers is already working on a Damage Limitation statement .

• Like 1

Maybe we are all victims of sharp marketing practice that most companies/corporations partake in now?

With regard to Hornby and the K1; First consumers were led to believe that 62027 was going to arrive before Christmas but then a definite announcement  that no K1s would be seen before April 2015. Suddenly.. . they are here... Queue clamour and "panic buying" and then less of a tendency for the end consumer to complain about any perceived fault, large or small, just because he has managed to acquire his or her desirable object.

I don't buy that a business is so out of touch with its manufacturer and supply/delivery chain that it is taken by surprise when a product turns up  in the delivery bay.

There has been speculation that Hornby may have arranged to have a delivery flown in but regardless,  and although it's not my place to say it, they should have rescinded and amended  their earlier "expected delivery" statements.

The running plate problem should have been noted and corrected before delivery. If it turns out that the majority of running plates are wavy, (give it time and the power of the internet) Hornby should at very least be acknowledging it by offering a solution and making sure it doesn't' t occur on subsequent releases.

As previous posters have noted it looks like there is a solution that involves a little modelling but there are those who would never want to do this.

As has been said you would not be expected to knock out a body panel ding or stitch up a split seat seam on a newly delivered car.

Porcy

Who's  in Grump mode and wondering if someone at Hornby Towers is already working on a Damage Limitation statement .

Absolutely.

Ditto the post from Bernard Lamb.

There's something rotten in the state of .......... Oh! that's Heljan. Sorry.

In the County of Kent.

I think thats a bit extreme. My B1 when comparing that is a little similar, but my K1 compared with others is relatively fine. You can perhaps take the body off and file down the sandbox pins, if they are the cause. Its about as much hassle as it is to go and renumber your engine, or to take it apart to fit it with DCC Sound - a conversion that is relatively easy.

As a result, mine is now chipped and getting its number changed...

• Like 1

Do you seriously think that Hornby, aware of a problem, announced a false delayed launch, then released them 'unexpectedly' onto the market just before Christmas in order to 'lose' any criticism and returns?

Was this conspiracy drawn up on Houstons moon stage whilst the CIA planned 9/11? Is David Icke aware, where's me purple shell suit and tin foil hat.....

• Like 1

I think thats a bit extreme. My B1 when comparing that is a little similar, but my K1 compared with others is relatively fine. You can perhaps take the body off and file down the sandbox pins, if they are the cause. Its about as much hassle as it is to go and renumber your engine, or to take it apart to fit it with DCC Sound - a conversion that is relatively easy.

As a result, mine is now chipped and getting its number changed...

I agree it might be a bit extreme but it's entertaining to be controversial, now and again.

The thing is, fitting a decoder or changing the running number is something you have decided to do.

This correction, however slight, is something that some modellers will not be confident in carrying out. What is more, these problems should have been sorted out before they get to the customer.

My Thompson 01 was exactly the same.

The attention to quality detail is consistently poor, to say the least.

Bob

• RMweb Gold

I've seen other loco's with far worse distortion on their running plates - O1's, B1's, A3's, Castles, Rebuilt WC/BoB's to name a few (Bachmann and their cast running plates aren't immune either - N Class anyone?).

Aside from the wonky running plate, the K1 itself runs faultlessly, all the detail parts fitted without needing fettling and it looks like a K1.

and it looks like a K1.

I would hope it does or the bandwith would really be jammed up with complaints. :)

But with rising prices  should the consumer not also expect improved manufacturing standards?

P

• RMweb Gold

It is disappointing to read some of the posts above.I accept that we all tolerate nothing but perfection and that we strive for even higher standards from the r t r manufacturers.

I am almost embarrassed to post that I am delighted with my K1,notwithstanding a barely perceptible buckle in the running plate which won't really trouble me anyway. The finish and lining are superb. The performance is whisper,silky smooth.

We are miles away from "Design Clever".We have returned to the days of the B17,the O1 and the B1.Let's rejoice. This is a quantum leap forward. Does it matter when it's delivered ? For Heaven's sake.....it's here.

• Like 3

It is disappointing to read some of the posts above.I accept that we all tolerate nothing but perfection and that we strive for even higher standards from the r t r manufacturers.

I am almost embarrassed to post that I am delighted with my K1,notwithstanding a barely perceptible buckle in the running plate which won't really trouble me anyway. The finish and lining are superb. The performance is whisper,silky smooth.

We are miles away from "Design Clever".We have returned to the days of the B17,the O1 and the B1.Let's rejoice. This is a quantum leap forward. Does it matter when it's delivered ? For Heaven's sake.....it's here.

The last sentence of your reply sums it. That is exactly what Hornby are hoping for "its here and no one sends them back to us"

Poor design and or quality control, but why make excuses for a Model Train when as said before , if it was anything else you would take it back and get a refund or exchange. 

As to Hornby issuing a recall , guidance on how to fix or any admissions re the fault does anyone seriously expect any response.??  :jester:  :jester:

If like on previous occasions the most I have ever read from Hornby  is " We haven't had many back" I wonder why ?

The K1 is not my period so I sadly have no use for one. 

Edited by micklner

Yes we are but were it not for the end consumers airing their views and complaints about the design clever concept the K1 may have appeared with integrally moulded handrails and a one piece moulded boiler footplate. :O

I'm impressed overall with the K1 but regardless, for those with a wonky footplate the reality is it should have been delivered straight.

P

• RMweb Gold

The last sentence of your reply sums it. That is exactly what Hornby are hoping for "its here and no one sends them back to us"

Poor design and or quality control but why make excuses for a Model Train when as said before if it was anything else you would take it back and get a refund or exchange. 

As to Hornby issuing a recall or any admissions re fault does anyone seriously expect either.??  :jester:  :jester:

I think I made it quite clear that mine is not a candidate for a return .If anyone wants to send them back...then send them back.I am not. My choice. Yours not to buy but to look on. Cynicism rules.

• RMweb Gold

Yes we are but were it not for the end consumers airing their views and complaints about the design clever concept the K1 may have appeared with integrally moulded handrails and a one piece moulded boiler footplate. :O

I'm impressed overall with the K1 but regardless, for those with a wonky footplate the reality is it should have been delivered straight.

P

So should half the population of the planet.

So should half the population of the planet.

Nah... the other half couldn't live with the wavy footplate. 

Putting my serious head on for a second and nowt to do with this thread, the vast majority of those who walk the planet will not have a clue what a Hornby K1 is and a good proportion of those can only wish that they had the value of one in their pocket.

P

Poor design and or quality control but why make excuses for a Model Train when as said before if it was anything else you would take it back and get a refund or exchange. 

As to Hornby issuing a recall or any admissions re fault does anyone seriously expect either.??  :jester:  :jester:

I think I made it quite clear that mine is not a candidate for a return .If anyone wants to send them back...then send them back.I am not. My choice. Yours not to buy but to look on. Cynicism rules.

Nothing to do with cynicism or whether I want one or not. 

Until Hornby or any other company actually get feedback from their customers that their products that are being sold are defective. They will not do anything about changing their quality control , methods of production and/or design. 

Edited by micklner

• RMweb Gold

Nothing to do with cynicism or whether I want one or not. 

Until Hornby or any other company actually get feedback from their customers that their products that are being sold are defective. They will not do anything about changing their quality control , methods of production and/or design. 

Wouldn't it be a refreshing change,for once,to give them the opportunity to get things right.? And I am speaking from the experience of being on the receiving end of some poor QC from Hornby very recently. I happen firmly to believe that they ARE now beginning to improve.They know things are wrong, Throwing more bricks at them won't help.Encouragement when they do get it right...and they have with the K1....despite some gripes on this forum....will.

I've seen other loco's with far worse distortion on their running plates - O1's, B1's, A3's, Castles, Rebuilt WC/BoB's to name a few (Bachmann and their cast running plates aren't immune either - N Class anyone?).

Aside from the wonky running plate, the K1 itself runs faultlessly, all the detail parts fitted without needing fettling and it looks like a K1.

My K1 running plate has a very small rise over the valve gear fixing, but its not something that I am going to lose sleep over, and I am certainly not going to send it back with all the unpredictability that involves.

• RMweb Gold

My K1 running plate has a very small rise over the valve gear fixing, but its not something that I am going to lose sleep over, and I am certainly not going to send it back with all the unpredictability that involves.

The valve gear fixing is nothing like that used on the B1 or O1, it looks like it's been machined out of a solid lump of metal, rather than a pressing.

Having been searching images of the real K1's on Google, it looks like wonky running plates were the norm, so perhaps Hornby inadvertently got it right.

Edited by toboldlygo
  • Like 3

Having been searching images of the real K1's on Google, it looks like wonky running plates were the norm, so perhaps Hornby inadvertently got it right.

I suspect we must be using different versions of Giggle then...   :pardon:

A quick 20 seconds of my time turns up these...  As straight as my owld grannies lace.

2148485567_70cd10edb3_z.jpg?zz=1R0240 - North Blyth Shed by BarkingBill, on Flickr

9320328519_def2dda07f_c.jpg62024 by Dan86401, on Flickr

13248719205_2fea65e34b_c.jpgLNER Class 2-6-0 K1 No. 62005 at York NRM - 18th March 2014. by allan5819 (Allan McKever), on Flickr

8740582109_83c0f75637_o.jpg62005 BR Peppercorn K1 2-6-0 by Keith B Pics, on Flickr

14651686045_c206d9dd03_c.jpgK1 at the Gasometer by tatraškoda, on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/dNGBTv

https://flic.kr/p/dNGBUx

P

• Like 1