Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

AIMREC - Ashford International Model Railway Excellence Centre

Seems a bit odd to go to the effort and expense of stands at exhibitions and yet not keep website and other social media up to date.

It seems odd to the type of person who actively uses the web. That is, almost by definition, any member of RMweb!

There are, however, still a significant number of people for whom the web, and even more so social media, is an irrelevance.

As has been said, we do need to update the website, it needs to be brought in to line with the latest software as well.

The center is now part of a much bigger project for the area and as such things seem to take a long time to move on although the cogs are turning in the background.

However, a benefit of this is we now just have to concentrate on the content of the centre, for which we have the services of an internationally experienced company on these types of exhibit.

It is difficult for us to give out much useful information on the project due to a number of NDAs we have to adhere at the moment.

• Like 2

As has been said, we do need to update the website, it needs to be brought in to line with the latest software as well.

The center.........

Maybe the language setting should be updated to be English (UK) too? :jester: Edited by leopardml2341

• 4 months later...

I see that the original site chosen to house AIMREC, the former Klondyke Works site, is going to be developed for housing.

The works site was declared contaminated, but AIMREC said they couldn't afford to pay for the required site clean up on top of the purchase price.

Presumably the new housing developer is able to meet these extra costs....or was it waved through?

https://www.clague.co.uk/news/ashford-strike-gold-thanks-to-klondyke/

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

This was covered on Facebook a few months ago. The council offered to buy part of the old works site on the other side of the road, but failed. They then offered to help find some land some where else in Ashford. That was what was last said, heard nothing more since.

Cheers.

• 1 year later...

AIMREC have opened in Ashford Kent town (opposite the bottom of Bank street) in the newly opened cinema also in the same complex, opposite Debenhams store.  Currently only open at weekends 10:00 to 16:00 Saturday and Sunday.  Admission is free but a donation is welcomed.  

4 hours ago, Brian said:

AIMREC have opened in Ashford Kent town (opposite the bottom of Bank street) in the newly opened cinema also in the same complex, opposite Debenhams store.  Currently only open at weekends 10:00 to 16:00 Saturday and Sunday.  Admission is free but a donation is welcomed.  

That sounds a mite less ambitious than the original plan...

steve

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

I see this thread is a bit old, but I thought I'd add a much needed update. 

At present AIMREC has moved out of our exhibition site at Elwick Place. We had hoped to move into Debenhams, but for the time being that is on the backburner. 

As of next month, we will open up at our new workshop site shared with Railmen of Kent. This is just outside of Ashford in Bethersden. This is a interim location whilst we try to locate and secure funding for a larger premises within Ashford town center. 

Due to space restrictions, we'll be running sessions with up to 10 people per hour. These will be more interactive with control of some of the layouts being handed over to our guests, gone are the days of "look but don't touch".

For more information it's best to look at our website https://aimrec.co.uk/ or Facebook

It's been a long road to get this far, but the future for AIMREC is bright. I will be an active member of the RMWeb forum and I am happy to try and answer any questions you may have.

Thanks

Mike W

• Like 2

• 1 month later...