Peco Code 60 rail

davidcrabb

Just realised the solution.

Peco N gauge track SL200 uses Code 60 rail. So we can still get Code 60 rail but have to buy the SL200 yard lengths and discard the sleepering. However that still leaves the question of the insulators if you don't want to use the Scalefour ones.

• RMweb Gold

SL200 is the Z gauge track.

I think Shinohara do some Code 60 N.

Seems strange that Peco would stop selling kit for building 3rd rail after many years when there is finally a reasonably wide variety of SR 3rd rail stock available from Hornby and Bachmann. Perhaps they have a supply issue on the Code 60 rail?

REPLY FROM PECO

Dear Mr Puddick

Thank you for your email.

We can confirm that we have good stocks of IL-1 rail (code 60) and we have no plans to discontinue this item. If you are having problems obtaining supplies we can supply by mail order. Please phone us on 01297 21542 if you have any questions or if you would like to place an order.

Kind regards

A Beard

PECO Technical Advice Bureau

Much better to ask, than to speculate.......

Edited by The Bigbee Line

SL200 is the Z gauge track.

I think Shinohara do some Code 60 N.

Seems strange that Peco would stop selling kit for building 3rd rail after many years when there is finally a reasonably wide variety of SR 3rd rail stock available from Hornby and Bachmann. Perhaps they have a supply issue on the Code 60 rail?

As I hadn't got a 2013 or 2014 Peco catalogue I looked on their web site where they list it under N Gauge - Narrow Gauge. 

It was Hattons that told me IL-1 was being 'cancelled from production an would no longer be available' !

So I made that information available to all, clearly the Peco response belays the accuracy of Hattons statement !

David,

With the information coming from a "reputable" retailer, you had no reason to doubt it and passed it on in good faith, and that was good enough for me.

However as Peco have now said that IL-1 remains in production, I wonder what made Hattons think that it was being discontinued?

as with most things Peco, this rail is not suitable for Underground models. The correct 150lb/yard conductor rail is available from the Scalefour society, and gives the correct "heavy" look. As already mentioned, their insulators are also much better, and a range of ramps is also available, depending on era/line speed.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not sure this is 'wisdom' but my approach on my old layout was to try and get something that looked the part, without too much skill needed.

I wasn't at all happy with Peco's offering of Code 60 for both conductor rails, given that the conductor rails are heavier than the running rails.  However, there are complications because OO track is only 4' 2" or so, and the fact that at-a-glance the conductor rails don't always look heavier than running lines due to conductor shoes rubbing only part of the tops.  I didn't feel that using scale conductor rail looked the part either!

My compromise was to use Code 100 as the centre conductor rail and slightly raised Code 60 as the outer conductor to try and achieve some visual trickery with this combo and weathering.

Description of the track here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/39422-4-rail-oo-without-to-many-tears/

And evolution of the layout here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/50822-aylesbury-junction/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...
On 11/02/2014 at 15:09, davidcrabb said:

Just been advised that Peco are no longer going to produce code 60 flat bottom rail that we use for 3rd & 4th rail !

Have had it on order from Hatton's for well over 6 months, so what do we use now ?

Hi there.   Strange that? Hattons had none in stock , I preordered the code 60 , then I received an email we have got Code 60 in stock and it arrived today. Best wishes Kev 

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, retiredoperator said:

Hi there.   Strange that? Hattons had none in stock , I preordered the code 60 , then I received an email we have got Code 60 in stock and it arrived today. Best wishes Kev 

That was over 7 years ago...

Andi