GWR Diesel?

They had started to trial diesel shunters before Nationalisation, though only two had entered service before 1948. Have a look at this link to Wikipedia for more detail:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_diesel_shunters.

They were pioneers in the field of diesel railcars (autorail) for both branch line and some main-line duties.

They also ordered a gas-turbine main-line loco for trials, which arrived after Nationalisation, I believe.

The (Great) Western Region insisted on being different to the other Regions, and ordered a bespoke range of main-line diesels with hydraulic transmissions in the mid-late 1950s...

• RMweb Premium

This is the GW diesel, No.2 built in 1934.

post-1643-0-07953200-1392209257_thumb.jpg

My model is finished in BR livery as 15100 but it was originally GW lined green.

The kit covers this loco and the very similar ones built for the LMS, in our catalogue it is referred to as English Electric/Hawthorn Leslie 0-6-0DE. EE supplied the engines and electrical equipment, rest built by HL. Price is £50, postage to EU is £5.

Michael Edge

Judith Edge kits

They also ordered a gas-turbine main-line loco for trials, which arrived after Nationalisation, I believe.

Two of them in fact:

18000 from Brown Boveri of Switzerland. Its shell is now at Didcot.

18100 from a British manufacturer whose name escapes me. On withdrawal this loco was converted to 25kV overhead and used to test the Manchester-Crewe electrification before being cut up.

• RMweb Premium

Two of them in fact:

18000 from Brown Boveri of Switzerland. Its shell is now at Didcot.

18100 from a British manufacturer whose name escapes me. On withdrawal this loco was converted to 25kV overhead and used to test the Manchester-Crewe electrification before being cut up.

Metropolitan Vickers?

• 2 years later...

This is the GW diesel, No.2 built in 1934.

attachicon.gifDSCF2834.JPG

My model is finished in BR livery as 15100 but it was originally GW lined green.

The kit covers this loco and the very similar ones built for the LMS, in our catalogue it is referred to as English Electric/Hawthorn Leslie 0-6-0DE. EE supplied the engines and electrical equipment, rest built by HL. Price is £50, postage to EU is £5.

Michael Edge

Judith Edge kits

I'm very interested in building one of these.  Is there a donor chassis needed?  Are there any recommended decals for the locomotive?

Many thanks!

Thanks, Richard.  I may have some free time in October/November so will have a think prior to then!

PS - I meant a model one... I don't think Dave G would be too happy if you tried converting "George Mason" when he wasn't looking, especially now he and Trish have repainted it! ;-)

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm away from Gravitas Towers at the moment, but I'm sure there was a big feature on the first pre-nationalisation diesel shunters in Model Rail in the last three months, with pictures of examples purchased by all of the Big 4.

The August edition of Model Rail is the one you are thinking of. Eleven pages of the big four's diesel shunters, with a further three of an N scale SR Maunsell shunter kit being built.

• 2 months later...

Archived