Frappingtons workbench - Sharp Stewart Long Boiler 0-6-0, Take 2!

I did manage to take that big lump out...

(Terrible old photo alert)

P4170012.jpg

I used a saw to take off the back of the lump.  You can just about see how far the motor comes into the cab though. 

P4190022.jpg

I fitted the backhead from a Dapol Schools kit to cover the motor.  For the effort of sawing out the back of the lump I only gained about 1mm in cab space, not nearly enough to fit the crew that I wanted to add.  If I were doing it again I'd be tempted to keep the lump in place and detail it to look like a boiler backhead, rather than try to remove it. 

• Like 1

Thanks. Did you have to reduce the cab sides before using the saw or did it fit OK without damaging the cab wall?

Also, I think another thank you is in order, as I think it was your build thread here that assured me that this was do-able!

I think I was able to fit the saw into the cab from above after I cut away the rear of the cab roof.  When I reached the bottom of the cab cut-out I switched to a tiny blade fitted into a scalpel handle and even then it was a tight squeze when the cab walls were factored in.  When I reached the final cut along the cab floor I can't remember if I used this smaller blade or whether I switched to a stanley knife. 

Also, I think another thank you is in order, as I think it was your build thread here that assured me that this was do-able!

Yep, that's one of mine.  I never cease to be surprised how many other forums I've seen linking back to it (!)

So, progress has been made, and the model is now just about finished and ready for paint. I managed to remove the plastic lump in the cab. This was done by sawing off the top third of the lump with a hack saw, before sanding the face until the plastic was very/quite thin. I then set about attacking it with a Stanley knife. This left a large hole where the face of the lump used to be. Annoyingly I forgot to take pictures at this point, but for any one who's interested, see James Harrison's post above which shows what it looked like. I then took the  back head from the schools kit and modified it to take off the bottom section so as the back head fitted better and so that you can't see the motor behind it. The pictures below show all. The back head protrudes a bit more than I would have liked, but it can't be helped.

post-19778-0-59824400-1394985758_thumb.jpg

post-19778-0-91399800-1394985767_thumb.jpg

post-19778-0-80494200-1394985777_thumb.jpg

I now have to wait until the start of next month until I have the money to send it off for re-painting, but that's not too long, so I shan't have to get too impatient

• Like 5

If you turn the loco upside down there are three screws- one is under the cab and the other two are behind the driving wheels, one on each side.  I recall being able to gently pull the body off the chassis once I had undone these screws. 

Be careful though!- the lovely curved frames around the bogie can catch on the wheels and get snapped off (this happened on mine, and I had to glue them back on).  Incidentally, the model is a 2-4-2 version of an 0-8-0 masquerading as a 4-2-2.  The front and rear axles are set into the chassis with a large amount of sideplay, whilst the rear 'bogie' axle is geared to the motor and actually helps drive the model, along with the large single drivers.   

• 2 weeks later...

Well, motor's fixed, but it's with my Grandad as he fixed it for me so I won't have it back until Easter. However, I've decided to do the majority of the painting myself, leaving just the lining and numbering to be done by someone professional. Below are some pics of the engine as it is currently, the paint work isn't perfect, but it's only the first coat:

post-19778-0-18323800-1396298376_thumb.jpg

post-19778-0-03387700-1396298387_thumb.jpg

And for something a bit different, here's the model with the face blue tacked back on:

post-19778-0-66740600-1396298499_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

No real progress has occurred on the Stirling really, aprt from the fact that I've got the chassis fixed and it now runs. However, when I was at my Grandad's house to collect it, I stood it alongside his old kitmaster model. I'll let you spot the differences - beside the different style of tender, but it was interesting to note how much smaller the kitmaster model was in relation to mine, now I know that it's mine that's over scale not the kitmaster, but still, and interesting exercise.

post-19778-0-38307000-1397772471_thumb.jpg

Edited by Frappington Jct
  • Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Right, new project. The single has been sent off for painting and I'm moving on to another, slightly more ambitious project. This is a conversion of a Hornby Railroad Gresley teak brake 3rd into a diagram 97 sentinel railcar. This is inspired by Manna's project - which is/will be a lo better than mine! So far I've managed to remove the body from the chassis, the coach ends and all of the windows, along with part of the non-window section of the coach. These still all need to be filed down, but it's getting there.

post-19778-0-51915700-1400103202_thumb.jpg

post-19778-0-36056400-1400103211_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Update time. The sentinel's going nicely, with the window frames sanded down, the cabs made (and what fun they were...) with windows cut out and now attached to the body, and a recess has been put in to take the chimney. I would have gone a bit further tonight but I've got two exams tomorrow so haven't really got the time. One more point, as may be noticeable in a couple of the pics, I've left the clips on either end of the body to connect it to the chassis. These are fairly well disguised, with the plastic at the non-engine end cut down so that it's below window level and at the other end it's been coloured in with a black permanent marker.

post-19778-0-95425800-1400700277_thumb.jpg

post-19778-0-59516500-1400700287_thumb.jpg

post-19778-0-51189600-1400700298_thumb.jpg

• Like 7