Church Norton

3 link

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update as the local P/way team have been busy over the festive period, probably something to do with the offer of double time and days in lieu.

Basically I have got the next board set back in place and have started to lay some more track at last, also I have been laying a bit of ballast down at the lower yard.

Hopefully I will be able to lay the rest of the track panels over the next few days although this will be slow going as there are 5 tracks across this baseboard. I have ordered some more chairs and sleepers and will be picking these up at the Bristol show towards the end of the month, so I have no excuses : )

post-7101-0-79142700-1483199217_thumb.jpg

post-7101-0-20077900-1483199302_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link
  • Like 9

It's coming along nicely, Martyn.  :good:

ps Is that Fittleworth Station (between Petworth and Midhurst) in the winter scene on post 332? 

Happy new year!!

Regards, Deano.

Hi Deano,

Well spotted, yes the station is still standing and is about a 20 minute drive from where I live, it is now a private dwelling albeit on the small side.

Happy New Year,

All the best,

Martyn.

Ahhh I thought I recognised it?! Many years ago I tried to acquire that station to renovate and turn into a small dwelling, but was beaten to it by I assume the current owners who did a lovely job of what I had planned. 

Its always good to see the old buildings restored. I even tried to get hold of Lavant, (Midhurst to Chichester, but of course you know that being a Sussex man (originally) like me!) but to no avail!!!

Regards, Deano.

Edited by Deano747
  • Like 1

Ahhh I thought I recognised it?! Many years ago I tried to acquire that station to renovate and turn into a small dwelling, but was beaten to it by I assume the current owners who did a lovely job of what I had planned.

Its always good to see the old buildings restored. I even tried to get hold of Lavant, (Midhurst to Chichester, but of course you know that being a Sussex man (originally) like me!) but to no avail!!!

Regards, Deano.

Hi Deano,

It's a small world, I didn't know you were a man of Sussex.

Elsted station which was on the Midhurst to Petersfield line came up for sale a couple of years ago but it was up for nearly 1Million, very nice but apart from the country side views there is nothing left to show it was once a station, very sad.

I could of brought a station when I lived in France for the grand sum of roughly 35k, but it wouldn't be British would it : )

Happy New Year,

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link
  • Like 2

Hi Deano,

It's a small world, I didn't know you were a man of Sussex.

Elsted station which was on the Midhurst to Petersfield line came up for sale a couple of years ago but it was up for nearly 1Million, very nice but apart from the country side views there is nothing left to show it was once a station, very sad.

I could of brought a station when I lived in France for the grand sum of roughly 35k, but it wouldn't be British would it : )

Happy New Year,

Martyn.

Hi Martyn

Yes, I lived in Sussex for 34 years before moving to a small village in Oxford, and until my father passed away in May, I visited Worthing on a regular basis.

The Sussex countryside still takes some beating!

I do remember Elsted, but I wasn't aware it was still standing. A shame to lose its identity!!

Enough digression, keep up the good work!!  :good:

Regards, Deano.

Great progress Martyn.

You must be inching ever closer to completing the circuit.

Hi Kev,

And a Happy New Year to you and family.

Yes to be honest I can't wait to actually complete the circuit and watch the trains go round, but I must be patient and make sure there are no humps and bumps along the new p/way. : )

ATB,

Martyn.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The track within the station area at Church Norton is still original ( in my world ) and was laid in 44'6" panels, once out of the confines of the station the p/way gang has laid the ( newer type ) 60' panels. These panel were first introduced in 1936, so as my layout is loosely based in the 50's modellers license has come into play.

Basically I am having a break from soldering on all the dropper wires every 311mm, up to now I have been using the C&L plastic fishplates. So now I am laying the rail in whole lengths ( less droppers, yippee ) by only cutting through the head of the rail and soldering on brass fishplates. They are not quite as detailed and chunky looking, but once painted I think they will do.

post-7101-0-57181500-1484077422_thumb.jpg

post-7101-0-77945800-1484077448_thumb.jpg

Martyn.

• Like 7

Martyn,

Looks super, but couldn't you superglue the plastic fishplates on in the same way? Cheaper, quicker, less hassle?

Best

Simon

Hi Simon,

Yes I guess you could, you would have to cut the ( notch ) out so they would lay flat in the web of the rail. I brought the brass ones many moons ago and they are a lot cheaper than the plastic ones. I have been sweating them on and once the iron is hot it's job done and probably more robust being soldered. At the weekend I was a bit to bashful with the saw and almost cut right through the rail, so the fishplates once soldered on acted like a splint so that was an added bonus.

I have had to order some more C&L bits and will be picking them up at the Bristol show in 2 weeks time, it amazing how many sleepers and chairs I am using at the moment as this part of the layout is 5 tracks wide.

ATB,

Martyn.

• Like 4

Ah, well, they're definitely cheaper if you already have them. :). And they will for sure be stronger.

I got a fortune's worth of chairs and a pack of rail at Reading, but I've been faffing with my tender for the last few weeks, so no progress on track lately, but i do need to get the digit out and finish it so I can do a bit more of the arty-farty scenic stuff!

How's the electrickery? Does it work yet?

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

So far, so good. Whenever a new baseboard is completed trackwise I give it a test once all the droppers and bus bars are in place. So that's another pint I owe you.

Next up then I will be trying to program the cv's on each loco using my Lenz LH90, this I am also dreading but we're leave that part for another day.

As for the tender your building, are you going to finish that first before you go back to the p/way? I have a JLTRT 2251 in the " to do drawer ", but I now finish one thing at a time and it seems to be working, and it also helps to keep the workbench clear : )

ATB,

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link
  • Like 2

You can always have a day trip to Kent, happy to help with the programming. I have a set 100 so the push-button handset. I also have the USB interface, so in theory, I can use the laptop with the JMRI - I say "in theory" because I had some problems with it just before the Greater Windowledge was taken down, and I haven't bothered to sort it yet. Might have a go this weekend... then again...

The tender is nigh on finished. Need to finish the brakes, paint the chassis, fit the pickups, and do the water taps. I can paint the pretty bits when the weather picks up. The brakes are a bit of a PITA, but progress, albeit slow, is being made.

Best

Simon

• Like 1

Hi Simon,

I wouldn't mind taking you up on that offer in the future, the wife could drop me off and then she could go on one of her shopping trips at the other end of the channel tunnel : )

ATB,

Martyn.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

This is the latest edition of the point work for Church Norton, this outside slip will be installed as part of the goods loop and will also feed the goods yard and a longish head shunt.

There are just three more turnouts needed, so there's finally light at the end of the tunnel ( pardon the pun ).

post-7101-0-69991200-1485712794_thumb.jpg

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Where is the OMG! Wow button when you want it :)

Really nice track work there Martyn. Complicated to build I bet, but it will look fantastic when in place. Looks great now!

Rich

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the kind words, it is most appreciated and hopefully I will have the time to finish the rest of the track work and complete the circle in the near future.

All the best,

Martyn.

• Like 3

Now come on your not the new boy at the back of the class, get your check rails into some sort of order and get two of them into some place where they will do some good.

It says something for your track building that no stock has gone wrong road without them.

OzzyO.