Church Norton

3 link

That chassis look`s and move`s very nicley Martyn.

When you re-fitted the crank`s,was it just a tight push fit,or have you had to use an adhesive or CA to lock them in place?.

Brian.

Hi Brian,

There did seem to be a very faint film of something that had been used to secure the cranks/wheels to the axles, so I cleaned the axles after I had cut the thickness of the brass bushes off. Then I cleaned out the holes in the cranks with a broach and tried the cranks for size, they were still a good tight fit so once I positioned the wheels for quartering I just applied a very small amount of Loctite 601 to lock them in place.

I actually pushed the cranks on further than needed to start with so the small amount of Loctite would flow into the hole in the cranks, then I just twisted and pulled the cranks back into position which helped coat the axle at the same time. With the 601 it does not give you much time for adjustment, so have everything in place ready before you start. You could use CA but it probably wouldn't seep down around the axles in time before it set.

HTH,

Martyn.

Hi Chaps,

Well I'm nearly there with the chassis now and I have just ordered one of Paul's sound chips to go along with one of Jintys speakers, it will then be fun trying to get to grips with all this as it will be my first loco with sound.

While I am waiting for the postie, I am just trying to raise up some courage to make a start on the bodywork. I have also done a bit of research and have narrowed down what number she will end up with, Gloucester area in the 50's if any of you have any knowledge on this subject?

post-7101-0-93086400-1489232630_thumb.jpg

post-7101-0-54546500-1489232648_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Martyn.

• Like 3

Hi Martyn,

As already mentioned, the chassis looks and runs superb.

As for a donor loco, take a look at this site:   http://www.brdatabase.info/classes.php?type=D&subtype=Shunters

It might help you to decide on which one.

Jinty ;)

Edited to add:  With long door hinges it would have to be D3000 to D3336 or D3454 to D3472.

Edited by Jintyman

Cheers David,

That is a much easier site than I had been using, also I did not know about the " long hinges " , such a minefield.

No doubt after I have finally numbered it and put on a coat of varnish, something will turnout to be wrong.

ATB,

Martyn.

Hi Guys,

Well this is a first for me when it comes to DCC with sound, and thanks to David ( Jinty ) for the speaker and to Paul Chetter for the sound chip. I am well chuffed pardon the pun, and I am having great fun finding out what button does what.

I have the Lenz LH 90 hand set and it's not really user friendly with a newby like me, I have only worked out 8 of the functions so far,so if any kind soul could advise me of an easier handset that is compatible with the Lenz set It would be most appreciated.

Here is a quick video of what I can do at the moment, the picture quality is not that good but it's worth turning up the volume : )

Cheers,

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Guys,

Well this is a first for me when it comes to DCC with sound, and thanks to David ( Jinty ) for the speaker and to Paul Chetter for the sound chip. I am well chuffed pardon the pun, and I am having great fun finding out what button does what.

I have the Lenz LH 90 hand set and it's not really user friendly with a newby like me, I have only worked out 8 of the functions so far,so if any kind soul could advise me of an easier handset that is compatible with the Lenz set It would be most appreciated.

Here is a quick video of what I can do at the moment, the picture quality is not that good but it's worth turning up the volume : )

Cheers,

Martyn.

https://youtu.be/Whq4duPEepc

Great fun isn't it :-) I think sound really adds to the enjoyment shunting up and down:-)

Best wishes

Dave

Great fun isn't it :-) I think sound really adds to the enjoyment shunting up and down:-)

Best wishes

Dave

Evening Dave,

Yes it has certainly kept me busy this evening, and like you say it brings an added dimension, really fascinating.

My layout is supposedly based in the late 1950's and full of steam locos, but I couldn't help myself. I have a soft spot for the 08's, and as for the blue thing in the back ground that belongs to a friend of mine.

There are a lot more sound bites to try on the 08 chip, like flange squeal, sleeper creak, different light options, etc. But I'm not sure how to activate these using the basic handset I have at present, so it's either going to be a steep learning curve with the Lenz or another operator friendly type handset.

All good fun,

Martyn.

Martyn,

I have an lh100 which does all the functions, but is a push-button device. I use it 99% of the time. I also have a red Roco multimaus, which has a knob, and can't access all the control-alt-shift-capslock functions. Additionally, I have one of the Lenz USB interfaces which allows you to drive from the computer (not user friendly, but good for programming) or from a mobile phone with the right app.

Hth

Simon

Hi Guys,

Cheers,

Martyn.

Another post that deserves a superb button, brilliant work Martyn.

• RMweb Gold

Evening Dave,

Yes it has certainly kept me busy this evening, and like you say it brings an added dimension, really fascinating.

My layout is supposedly based in the late 1950's and full of steam locos, but I couldn't help myself. I have a soft spot for the 08's, and as for the blue thing in the back ground that belongs to a friend of mine.

There are a lot more sound bites to try on the 08 chip, like flange squeal, sleeper creak, different light options, etc. But I'm not sure how to activate these using the basic handset I have at present, so it's either going to be a steep learning curve with the Lenz or another operator friendly type handset.

All good fun,

Martyn.

I can forgive you an O8, it has at least got coupling rods so its nearly a steam engine! :-)  I secretly quite like some diesels, I've always fancied an O gauge Western.  I've fond teenage memories of watching them rumble along the sea wall between Dawlish and Teignmouth :-)

Best wishes

Dave

• Like 1

Martyn,

I have an lh100 which does all the functions, but is a push-button device. I use it 99% of the time. I also have a red Roco multimaus, which has a knob, and can't access all the control-alt-shift-capslock functions. Additionally, I have one of the Lenz USB interfaces which allows you to drive from the computer (not user friendly, but good for programming) or from a mobile phone with the right app.

Hth

Simon

Hi Simon,

Well I have done a bit of homework regarding the LH90, the instruction manual is as thick as a bible! It turns out the LH90 has got all the 28 functions with the handset but it is a bit of a faff to go through each time you want to have a bit of flange squeal or change the lights, etc.

I also have an app by Touch Cab on my phone, and also one of those Lenz interface thingys! But they are stored away until hopefully I have a working layout, and have worked out how to use them properly : )

ATB,

Martyn.

I can forgive you an O8, it has at least got coupling rods so its nearly a steam engine! :-) I secretly quite like some diesels, I've always fancied an O gauge Western. I've fond teenage memories of watching them rumble along the sea wall between Dawlish and Teignmouth :-)

Best wishes

Dave

Hi Dave,

I was brought up along the south coast so it was all those non descript horseless electric carriages going from A to B, with the occasional class 33 or 73, and that was your lot.

So it's surprising that I'm into Trains at all really. The 33 standing behind my 08 belongs to a good friend that use to drive them, so maybe I might have a sort of " Modern traction open day" occasionally, I also have a " slight yearning " for the new JLTRT class 47, but my kettles will always come first.

ATB,

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link
  • Like 1

Hi Guys,

Well after a busy day unblocking drains and taking the youngest down the park, I managed to summon up the courage and try and install Touch Cab. This job was mainly brought forward because of the problem of trying to understand how to access the function buttons on the Lenz LH90 handset, and the fact that I'm pretty useless at anything to complex.

Well with a lot of help from a chap on here 250BOB ( thank you ) and the fact that the penny finally dropped, I can now control my locos from my phone or the iPad. And it is so easy to use I wished I had done it before, to chose any function you just have to swipe your finger across the screen, brilliant.

And it also has the ability to operate both points and signals if you so desire.

Below is a quick snippet to give an idea of what can be done. You will see the interior light go on followed by the shunting lights, and then a bit of flange squeal as the loco goes over the check rail, the video is not exactly steady as it turns out I was not born with enough hands : ) but it gives you an idea of what is possible and I'm surprised it hasn't really caught on, in my opinion it is a great bit of kit.

Here is the larger version of the app on the iPad , ideal if your eyesight is not that good.

post-7101-0-55906200-1489952338_thumb.jpg

ATB,

Martyn.

• Like 6

Hi Martyn

I was only too pleased to help earlier today, your 08 sounds delightful.

You look like an expert Touchcab operator already.

Bob

Evening Bob,

Aww I don't know about being a expect operator, if you listen closely I forgot to close the cab door .

Only joking !

Cheers,

Martyn.

• Like 1

Evening Bob,

Aww I don't know about being a expect operator, if you listen closely I forgot to close the cab door .

Only joking !

Cheers,

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

I don't know about forgetting the cab door, you nearly forgot to release the brakes after changing direction!!!!  :jester:

Anyway, seriously, I use the lenz system and I too have the USB interface and an ipad waiting for the time and motivation to set it all up.

I have been thinking of using the Z21 system as that will work via Android (I don't have an iPhone) and give similar operation as the Touchcab system, the only downside is it's only 4amps output, but I think you can use alternative transformers with higher ampage.

I have two layouts underway so maybe it is the time to experiment as I also have the option of the ECoS as well.

Seeing your use of the Touchcab has given me the impetus to make some inroads to getting it all working.

Do I need a router too?

Jinty ;)

Hi David,

Yes you need a router, but like Bob I just brought a cheap £20 one from Argos, if I was a bit more techie I would of had it up and running in probably 20 minutes. As it was it took me around an hour in between bouts of swearing and head scratching, in the end the problem was I had forgot to pair the router to my phone, dohhhh.

If I can be of any help let us know, I cannot believe this system is not more popular, it's a joy to use.

ATB,

Martyn.

Just a quick update, the last of the larger baseboards is nearly complete just needing some more holes put into the cross braces. The lower part of the goods yard will be on this board .

post-7101-0-82671100-1490545247_thumb.jpg

Only one smaller board and a small lifting flap and the circuit will be complete, it's been a while coming.

Martyn.

• Like 12

It won't be long now Martyn when you'll be able to sit with brew in hand whilst one of your workhorses trundles all around the layout whilst you sit, watch and relax, and more importantly, enjoy!!!

Jinty ;)

Hi David,

That has been a dream for a good number of years now, although the journey has been an enjoyable one, albeit taxing at times.

I am looking forward to the scenery, and hopefully bringing it all to life and colour.

Martyn.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

I'm fed up trying to import the photos of my latest updates, which are coming out upside down. So here they are , any questions fire away! PS, the start of the up platform. Now to calm down and have a cold drink, grrrrrrrr.

post-7101-0-31066200-1492376534_thumb.jpg

post-7101-0-73613500-1492376552_thumb.jpg

post-7101-0-66196800-1492376570_thumb.jpg

post-7101-0-51206800-1492376603_thumb.jpg

post-7101-0-61786200-1492376625_thumb.jpg

post-7101-0-26127400-1492376648_thumb.jpg

post-7101-0-31001200-1492376668_thumb.jpg

Martyn.

• Like 15