Church Norton

3 link

Mr 3link,

for the best protection use the lifting section for your power feed and then feed all the rest of the layout from it (it will work for DC, or DCC). All you need are a couple of light bulb sockets (the plunger parts) and if the flap is up nothing can run NOTHING.

OzzyO.

• Like 1

Mr OzzyO,

If you read all my threads you would of seen on page 19 my (light bulb socket plunger parts) : )

post-7101-0-96980000-1506447746.jpg

Keep up at the back, laddie

Best wishes,

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link
  • Like 1

T'aint necessarily true, Ozzy. My keep-alive-equipped locos will certainly run a metre or so with the feed removed. Enough to cause disaster!

The Lenz system, and maybe others, have an emergency stop (it's "E" on Lenz) connection which if connected, causes the control system to output a "stop all" signal on the tracks. This won't help on DC of course.

I have pondered how to arrange an emergency stop signal to be applied to selected tracks, but not others. Haven't worked it out yet, but pretty sure it can be done.

Best

Simon

Mr OzzyO,

If you read all my threads you would of seen on page 19 my (light bulb socket plunger parts) : )

attachicon.gifIMG_0278.JPG

Keep up at the back, laddie

Best wishes,

Martyn.

If my bl00dy computer had been up to speed I would have seen it. But it's using the lifting flap as the power source that stops the train set.

You daft old bu99er

OzzyO.

• RMweb Gold

If you have heavy flywheels or Keep alives with super caps just cutting the power with the lifting flap might not be enough. Obviously one would expect visitors to have more sense than to lift the flap as a King with 10 on bears down towards it. Otherwise it a press to release the flap which cuts the power then operates a release of the flap after a short time delay. Perhaps it should be under the control of a signalman like a crossing gate.

Don

• Like 2

At one time another layout I once worked on had a policy of wiring catch-points with a dead section behind them in case of run-away locomotives. This was some 10-12 years ago when a common known fault was for DCC chips to mistake the track power for 16-volts DC and for locomotives to run-away at top speed. Thankfully, my own locomotive was geared that that flat-out it only did a scale 30mph which meant that it "bolted" at (full-sized) walking pace. Some of the diesels with huge twin motors were more than capable of a scale 80mph, and when it happened, we knew all about it!

Edited by hartleymartin

Hi Guys,

Thanks to Don and Martin for the helpful advice above, I will certainly need a more drastic way of fool proofing the lifting hatch, watch this space.

On Church Norton the peace and quiet has been disturbed in the last hour by the approaching rumble of a p/way train, so hopefully some trackwork and ballasting will be taking place over the weekend.

post-7101-0-62579600-1507318531_thumb.jpg

post-7101-0-11539700-1507318553_thumb.jpg

I chose two photos as one seemed to have better lighting while the other was more in focus, I think....

Martyn.

• Like 15

Hi Guys,

Thanks to Don and Martin for the helpful advice above, I will certainly need a more drastic way of fool proofing the lifting hatch, watch this space.

On Church Norton the peace and quiet has been disturbed in the last hour by the approaching rumble of a p/way train, so hopefully some trackwork and ballasting will be taking place over the weekend.

attachicon.gifIMG_0285.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0289.JPG

I chose two photos as one seemed to have better lighting while the other was more in focus, I think....

Martyn.

Both excellent Martyn, nicely worn and slightly disused look.

So the ballasting starts.

Are you having point rodding? I am and I'm having to fit the rodding in before I can think about ballasting, or at least the supports for the stools at least.

Jinty ;)

Both excellent Martyn, nicely worn and slightly disused look.

So the ballasting starts.

Are you having point rodding? I am and I'm having to fit the rodding in before I can think about ballasting, or at least the supports for the stools at least.

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty,

Yes I brought all the point rodding stools at Telford this year from our good friend Alan at Modelu, and what a great job he has made of them, although you need good eyesight to see all the detail which is there. I will also be putting the bases and stools in place first before the ballasting really starts.

If you look closely the red dots on the baseboard are where the stools will be going.

I have finished laying the goods loop and the head shunt, but I haven’t put any photos up yet as I think it’s better to show a bit at a time, saying that I still have loads of droppers to solder on still, but I’m slowly getting there......

Cheers,

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update, but first I must say a big “ Thank You ” to Simond of this parish. I now have DC or DCC operating on the layout controlled by just one switch, maybe it does not sound that amazing, but to me it’s a milestone and it would not of happened without Simon’s help, diagrams and patience.

The goods loop is now in place, and also a further turnout which will feed the coal yard and also a cripple siding, see photos.

Forget the photos for now, even though I had the iPad held in the right orientation all the photos are upside down,grrrrr....... And as I’ve had a long day at work I cannot be ar**d to try and rectify them now, maybe tomorrow.

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link
  • Like 5

Hi Simon,

I still have another 13 tortoise motors to wire up, which should hopefully be fairly straight forward. Also I have the diagram that you did for me regarding the linking of the motors at the crossover.

I may chicken out and buy a Hex frog juicer for the two slips, I know you are old school, but I will go for the easy option ( I think ).....

All the best,

Martyn.

Right I've used a different app, so far so good,

The goods loop,

post-7101-0-30860800-1508274760_thumb.jpg

And the new turnout,

post-7101-0-65094400-1508274788_thumb.jpg

My friends Class 33, this loco means a lot to him as he actually use to drive the real one as a driver on the Southern.

post-7101-0-56414400-1508274814_thumb.jpg

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update, but first I must say a big “ Thank You ” to Simond of this parish. I now have DC or DCC operating on the layout controlled by just one switch, maybe it does not sound that amazing, but to me it’s a milestone and it would not of happened without Simon’s help, diagrams and patience.

The goods loop is now in place, and also a further turnout which will feed the coal yard and also a cripple siding, see photos.

Forget the photos for now, even though I had the iPad held in the right orientation all the photos are upside down,grrrrr....... And as I’ve had a long day at work I cannot be ar**d to try and rectify them now, maybe tomorrow.

Martyn.

I think there's a lot to be said for having the option to run a layout in DC or DCC modes. Also good to have the fall back if the DCC goes bananas or a control unit fails. Going for the same approach myself.

• RMweb Gold

I think there's a lot to be said for having the option to run a layout in DC or DCC modes. Also good to have the fall back if the DCC goes bananas or a control unit fails. Going for the same approach myself.

It is also handy when that new loco turns up in the post and you just want to try it on the layout before faffing about with decoders etc.

Don

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It is also handy when that new loco turns up in the post and you just want to try it on the layout before faffing about with decoders etc.

Don

Hi Don,

That's very true, it's just like being a kiddie let loose in a toy shop : )

Here's a couple of shots of the morning passenger/paper and parcel/milk train leaving Church Norton in the autumnal sunshine.

post-7101-0-62139200-1509894751_thumb.jpg

post-7101-0-26927100-1509894774_thumb.jpg

Martyn.

• Like 9

Hi Guys,

Me again, I'm afraid the mojo is on the wane at present so I decided not to take on anything too major or technical, hence all I have to show for a weekends work is a couple of " Ragstones " finest GWR buffers, one rail built the other with timber."

post-7101-0-03316600-1509906305_thumb.jpg

Martyn.

• Like 7