Church Norton

3 link

Good evening Guys,

Well I picked up some more 9mm birch ply at the weekend and proceeded to drive the neighbours nuts with my router,  and being that the next baseboard is on quite a sharp curve roughly 6'6" to 7' radius, so I had to rout out quite a bit to get the plywood to shall we say become more plyable :declare: .

I found it very awkward to work out exactly the shape of the baseboard I was after, so in the end I had to lay out the plan on the floor and delicately rest the baseboard parts on top of it, and then gently form the curve.

post-7101-0-21858700-1443467589.jpg

I have been looking at the goods yard part of the plan for a while now and have decided not to go with a double slip as it looks a bit overkill to me, so I will build one of these instead.

post-7101-0-01745800-1443467906.jpg

I have temporarily laid out the next part of the plan to see how the trackwork flows, from the left of the picture is the refuge siding/head shunt dropping down to a private siding back past the station. The next line is the up followed by the down and the last line is part of the goods loop.

post-7101-0-30531300-1443468277.jpg

post-7101-0-10257900-1443468310.jpg

I do not know if it's because I have not got too far to go now to complete the circuit but I'm getting a real buzz out of the build at present  :lol_mini2: .

Well that's all for now folks,

Martyn.

P.S.  Oh and a Happy Birthday to Ozzy O of this parish.

• Like 6

Very neat Martyn. Out of interest how big is the room?

Hi Chris,

It is roughly 15' x 19', just enough for a roundy-roundy but saying that obviously you could go tighter with the radius but I like my 2-8-0's ;) . And by roundy there is literally not much in the way of any straight lengths of track only in the sidings.

ATB,

Martyn.

• 1 month later...

Gosh !  over a month has gone by since the last post, and to be honest not a lot has been done to the layout.

I have laid the plywood strips that will support the private sidings which will eventually run down a gradient past the platform, but in the photo that looks a bit weird at present as I have not cut back the baseboard edgings, but hopefully you get the drift.

post-7101-0-57309800-1447002512.jpg

The sidings themselves will be about 6' long but only about 15" wide including the track width.  I am a bit annoyed with myself regarding the width as I could of gone much wider, the original plan did not incorporate these sidings so I did not give it much thought. But when you take into account the size of say a small provender store or a coal yard, yes I need more space. If it bugs me to much in the future then the wood saws will have to come out !

ATB,

Martyn.

PS,   please excuse the blue box on wheels in the picture, it belongs to a good friend that use to drive the things.

• Like 9

• 3 months later...

Looking good mate, did you decide on extending the platform after?

Yes I did decide to extend the platforms, I'm surprised your ears arent burning with the amount of grief it is has given me so far. It's my fault I had the same discussion with Richard ( Dikitriki) ages ago but just shrugged it off. I have had to take up that long curved turnout that feeds the loop and quite a bit of track, but I'm over the worst now and I agree it will look better being able to accommodate a 4 coacher : )

Hopefully I will get some time in the play room tomorrow, as I want to build the turnout that feeds the private siding .

ATB,

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

I thought it's about time to have a catch up, I mean the last entry was 20th of Feb! Well I decided to have a break from all the soldering of droppers and running bus wires around the planned goods yard and running lines.

So I have used the proposed private sidings as a Guinea pig, and I am trying out different formulas for ballast and ground cover. This includes the use of real soil, kiln sand and various grades and colours of ballast and chippings.

I am also trying acrylic paints through the airbrush for the first time and so far I am pleased with the results, for one there is hardly any smell and two if you are just wafting over a light coat it still lets the prime colours show through and three the airbrush is easier to clean.

Although it looks like a bomb site at the moment, below is some photos of what I am trying to achieve.

post-7101-0-28908300-1468870034_thumb.jpeg

post-7101-0-53020300-1468870065_thumb.jpeg

post-7101-0-03314800-1468870101_thumb.jpeg

Regards,

Martyn.

• Like 11

Hi Steve,

Yes this soil was microwaved and then sieved, and the best part is it doesn't need painting or spraying, unless your modeling the Somerset or Devon area where the soil seems to have a distinct reddish colour.

Martyn.

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

Yes this soil was microwaved and then sieved, and the best part is it doesn't need painting or spraying, unless your modeling the Somerset or Devon area where the soil seems to have a distinct reddish colour.

Martyn.

Hello Martyn,

I'd still bake it in the oven for about 1 hour at 250 Deg and let it cool in the oven (don't do it when Jo's in the hose though), I'm not sure if zapping it will kill all of the bugs you will have to get the soil to over 100 Degs. to kill them. If you don't kill them they will eat your boards in time (or start growing). The ash from all of your bar-B-cues should be OK for any shed roads.

OzzyO.

PS. do you want any red soil? The red soil is normal caused by a high iron content. It could look good as a load going to an iron ore mill.

Edited by ozzyo

Hello Martyn,

I'd still bake it in the oven for about 1 hour at 250 Deg and let it cool in the oven (don't do it when Jo's in the hose though), I'm not sure if zapping it will kill all of the bugs you will have to get the soil to over 100 Degs. to kill them. If you don't kill them they will eat your boards in time (or start growing). The ash from all of your bar-B-cues should be OK for any shed roads.

OzzyO.

PS. do you want any red soil? The red soil is normal caused by a high iron content. It could look good as a load going to an iron ore mill.

Hi Ozzy,

Reading from the above I thought you might of had one too many last night! But the wife reckons you may have a point regarding the creepy crawlies, so I'm off to do some research. I have been using a 800 watt microwave, so surely it should heat everything up from inside out?

Cheers,

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link

• RMweb Gold

Good to see you posting again Martyn! I was wondering what you'd been up to and delighted to find you've been busy:-) The ballasting is coming along very nicely and it's good to see some ground contours appearing!

Afternoon Dave,

Great to hear from you, yes the mojo has been lacking of late, but I seem to be back on track now ( pardon the pun ).

WOW ! That layout of yours is in a different league, brilliant doesn't come close. I have just spent an enjoyable 20 minutes catching up on your blog, and that has certainly got the mojo stimulated.

Whoever might be reading this thread, go and have a look at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1131-wenlocks-blog/

As for myself I am just toying with some future scenery ideas, and it also gives me a break from all the droppers I am putting in. It's probably over kill but I am wiring across every rail gap and running a feed from every section of rail back to the bus bar as well. I just need it to be as foolproof as possible. I will probably build the formers for the platforms next, I did have them in place but I decided to extend them to cater for a 4 coach train, in doing so that has caused a lot more work than I expected. Anyhow enough waffle for now, I look forward to the next blog entry, stunning job mate.

All the best,

Martyn.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Martyn, glad you enjoyed the progress on Sherton Abbas:-) I think your " belt & braces" approach to wiring is very sensible, there's very little quite so annoying as intermittent electrical faults! Looking to seeing your scenery ideas develop and glad to hear you mojo is back:-)

Best wishes

Dave

• 1 month later...

Whilst at the Telford exhibition last weekend I was taken by the laser cut timber buildings being shown on the Timber tracks stand, so much so I took up Brian Lewis's offer of buy two and the third one is free.

This is the first time I had built any buildings from wood, and I must admit I found the whole building process very enjoyable, I thought I had better start on the smallest of the three building being the waiting room for Church Norton.

Brian recommends a glue I had never heard of before called Aliphatic glue, this glue works a treat which is a good thing if your impatient like me. It grabs almost straight away and you only need the slightest amount to do the job.

Anyhow below is the waiting room which I started to build on Monday, so with a couple of hours each evening this is how it turned out this evening.

post-7101-0-36839600-1473445463_thumb.jpeg

post-7101-0-53753200-1473445501_thumb.jpeg

Martyn.

• Like 8

Aliphatic glue than I did. After it didn't actually stick anything I resorted to good old cyano.Very nice work Martyn. It sounds like you got on better with the

It was a shame I didn't get to have a chat with you at Telford.

Hi Kev,

I did see you a couple of times at Telford, I mean you must be 6'6" so it would be hard to miss you , but you were engrossed in conversation with a lady at the time, and I'm sure she was more interesting than I could possibly be.....

I will catch up with you at Bristol in January hopefully, as for the glue well this particular glue was made by " Deluxe " and seems to work well.

All the best,

Martyn.

Hi Kev,

I did see you a couple of times at Telford, I mean you must be 6'6" so it would be hard to miss you , but you were engrossed in conversation with a lady at the time, and I'm sure she was more interesting than I could possibly be.....

I will catch up with you at Bristol in January hopefully, as for the glue well this particular glue was made by " Deluxe " and seems to work well.

All the best,

Martyn.

Ha ha! That was my mate's wife. He was too busy getting excited over the Dapol Terrier he's just bought! Say hello next time you silly sod! ;)

• Like 1