Church Norton

3 link

• RMweb Gold

Now come on your not the new boy at the back of the class, get your check rails into some sort of order and get two of them into some place where they will do some good.

It says something for your track building that no stock has gone wrong road without them.

It's that template which is deficient in check rails. It has been mentioned on RMweb a few times.

Martin.

Now come on your not the new boy at the back of the class, get your check rails into some sort of order and get two of them into some place where they will do some good.

It says something for your track building that no stock has gone wrong road without them.

OzzyO.

Well knock me down with a feather, your right ( as usual ), do you know I had some sort of nagging feeling that something wasn't quite right, cheers I will get that sorted tonight.

It's that template which is deficient in check rails. It has been mentioned on RMweb a few times.

Martin.

Hi Martin,

I wished I had seen the the posts in question, it will teach me to rely on templates, mind you yours have never let me down : )

You don't happen to remember where the posts are regarding the said template?

ATB,

Martyn.

• RMweb Gold

You don't happen to remember where the posts are regarding the said template?

Hi Martyn,

Sorry, I tried to find them, but unfortunately RMweb's poor search function, combined with my failing memory, failed to deliver.

It may possibly have been on Old RMweb: http://rmweb.co.uk/forum/

regards,

Martin.

Hello Martyn,

you may also want to check out the two check rails at top left and top right so that they cover both of the vees on the straight roads.

OzzyO.

Hello Matey,

Yes I will extend those two checkrails to incorporate both vees and then bring the other two offending check rails further along to be inline with the correct vees.

ATB,

Martyn.

PS, at least all the fishplates are the right way round, once bitten twice shy ☺️

• Like 1

I asked Andy why we couldn't rate this and other topics in 7mm + modeling it was just an oversight Andy sorted it in minuets.

May I be the first to rate this excellent Topic, Well deserved Martyn.

Grasshopper

I assumed it was because 7mm was recognised to be superior to all others, thus being able to rate topics was superfluous. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I also gave in and brought one of these 08 things, I must admit there is something appealing about them, kinda cute in a weird way. Anyhow on inspection my eye was immediately drawn to the horrid brass spacers, some folk might be happy just to blacken them but for me they had to go. On further scrutiny I also noticed the quartering was well out and there was no speedo drive, so hopefully I can correct all 3 things at the same time.

There is nothing new with the method I have used to make a puller to remove the cranks, a chap from the Dapol pages started the ball rolling by making use of a section of 22mm copper heating pipe, I started in a similar way but used plain old 13mm cooper tube. Well the cranks seem to be made of a light metal possibly alloy? and the axles are steel which is a good thing because as delicate as I tried to be when pulling the cranks off they did need a certain amount of welly, so much so that it distorted the tube/puller! The first side drifted off quite easily, but the other side for some reason was a nightmare, the captive nut was just pulling out of the solder on the tube under the strain. So I thought I would try some rectangular brass section I had instead of the tube method, well it did the trick and the drive axle crank actually came off with a resounding crack!

This job took a lot longer than I anticipated, but I was not going to be beaten, it's family time tomorrow so hopefully I will make a start on the rebuild next week sometime.

post-7101-0-70602600-1487442127_thumb.jpg

The pullers....

post-7101-0-64958300-1487442158_thumb.jpg

ATB,

Martyn.

• Like 1

NIce job on the crank puller Martyn.

I`ve got a couple or so of these babies as well...i know, don`t ask.. :whistle:  anyway i was looking at doing the same thing to mine,but as yet had`nt thought of how to do it.

So you`ve save me a lot of head scratching and possibly broken parts by posting this!.

Ta very much,

Brian.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The speedo drive has been giving me a lot of grief, the speedo drive shaft is slightly lower than the axles so with each revolution the speedo drive arm needs to extend and contract, as well as revolve at the drive shaft end and also at the coupling rod bracket, ( I hope this is making sense ). Below are a couple of photos showing roughly how I got over these problems, it doesn't look great, but once painted and gunged up I am hoping it will pass muster.

post-7101-0-87504500-1488489776_thumb.jpg

post-7101-0-87073900-1488489840_thumb.jpg

The rods are now back on and so far so good, the chassis is running smoothly without any binding.

Cheers,

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link
  • Like 4

I have now re-quartered the wheels and with the balance weights roughly where they should of been in the first place, added a speedo drive which turned out to be a right pain but got there in the end. The wheel rims have been blackened to get rid of that shiney un prototypical look and it has just received its first coat of weathering.

I was a bit concerned that I might not get the quartering exact, which you need for smooth slow running. But there was and is quite a bit of play in the drivetrain which helps, so she can still crawl along like she was supposed to.

Next it's on to the body, I will probably alter the cab door handles first as they are in the wrong position and then finally decide her number as I brought one of the un- numbered ones. Then it's on to weathering the body followed by installing a Zimo chip and speaker.

Cheers,

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link
  • Like 4

Hi Ken,

No just the one axle is geared to the motor, and the cranks/coupling rods drive the two un-powered axles.

I must say that drifting those cranks off the axles was not a walk in the park, I reckon they must have used loctite or something similar as there was an audible " crack " when two of the cranks came off the axle. The Mk 2 version of the puller I made did work better if that is of help to you.

HTH,

Martyn.

That chassis look`s and move`s very nicley Martyn.

When you re-fitted the crank`s,was it just a tight push fit,or have you had to use an adhesive or CA to lock them in place?.

Brian.