Church Norton

3 link

Nice work....... but that must have taken hour`s doing all those brick`s with the router Martyn.... :pardon:

Brian.

Hi Brian,

Ha! Yes the last picture is of a goods yard platform that I also built in a while back, also out of hardboard. The sides are Slaters plasticard, but the platform edgings were scribed in using a scrawker. I think hardboard is underrated as a modelling material.

Martyn.

• 2 weeks later...

Just setting out the templates for the next two turnouts, these will be sited on a gentle curve and the overall length is just under 6'.

post-7101-0-09233500-1493669144_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Martyn.

• Like 11

Quick update, I have now laid down the sleepers and fixed the first rail in place. I use this rail as a datum and work backwards towards me, I am using Debs 31.5 mm gauges which give a much smoother ride across the vee's than at 32mm, you wouldn't think 0.5mm would make much difference but it does

post-7101-0-05713100-1494173984_thumb.jpg

I have just realised I have only got one more turnout to build and the rest is just normal running lines, " Hooray ", I won't go into detail on how to build the trackwork as there's plenty of advice written on Rmweb over the years.

Regards,

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Must be a good feeling being almost there on the turnouts Martyn. I should really get back to trackwork on Pencarrow but, after a mojo break, I'm enjoying scenic work at the moment.

• Like 2

Hi Chris,

Yes it does feel good although it will feel even better when I complete the full circuit, I have one small baseboard and a lifting section still to build first.

I am like you if certain tasks are getting too monotonous ( like soldering droppers ) I try my hand at buildings or scenery, that way the mojo seems to stay around and not disappear completely.

Regards,

Martyn.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

An excellent advertisement for hand-built turnouts! The 31.5 mm gauge will give you superior running but the ability to create realistic looking, large radius, chaired turnouts is something that the devotees of Peco and Marcway will never achieve. Excellent work!

Just out of interest, are we in the realms of a C10 or thereabouts?

Dave

• Like 1

Evening Dave,

Yes it's a C10, this is the longest turnout on the layout and the smallest radius on the template is 3856mm ( 152"). As you can see I have only just made a start by laying the outer running rail to the adjoining turnout.

Hopefully I will find time at the weekend to finish them both, then it's back to building the last two baseboards

Regards,

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link
  • Like 6

Hi Guys,

Well I managed to finish the two turnouts, in between the gardening, entertaining and walking the dogs.

Below are three photos just to show how hopefully it will all go together.

post-7101-0-84624200-1495393597_thumb.jpg

post-7101-0-67976700-1495393636_thumb.jpg

post-7101-0-26870300-1495393661_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the orientation I will try later to rotate them, although that might also squash them up a bit.

Martyn.

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Over the weekend us locals avoid the local beaches like the plague, we leave it to the day trippers to burn themselves to a crisp, drop all their litter and broken bottles, etc. Then once they have cleared off home we all come out and clean up the beaches and watch the sun go down over a nice glass or two, bliss.

Right end of rant, so I thought how could I better spend the time than to wire up the last of the point motors, there are 19 turnouts in all on Church Norton and below are the last 12.

I like to wire the motors through choc blocks for ease of use, I find it easier to fit the motors this way and it saves juggling around with a hot soldering iron under the baseboards. A bit of a boring picture but hopefully it explains my method.

post-7101-0-21520100-1497889209_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Oh, and I treated myself to one of these, although it will be a while yet before any greenery appears....

attachicon.gifIMG_0673.JPG

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

All looking fabulous with a delightful flow to the track work!:-)  You must be getting very close to a complete circuit, definitely a milestone and worthy of a glass or two!  If sure you'll enjoy using the "Flockit", I had hours of fun on Sherton Abbas with mine! :-)  Looking forward to seeing some greenery very soon!

Best wishes

Dave 

• Like 1

Hi Martyn,

All looking fabulous with a delightful flow to the track work!:-)  You must be getting very close to a complete circuit, definitely a milestone and worthy of a glass or two!  If sure you'll enjoy using the "Flockit", I had hours of fun on Sherton Abbas with mine! :-)  Looking forward to seeing some greenery very soon!

Best wishes

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the kind compliments, if I can get my layout to look half as good as yours I would be happy : )

As for the greenery, I have already been sorely tempted a few times to add a little colour to what is at present quite a drab landscape. But it's good to know it is one of the more enjoyable parts of the hobby, I'm sure it rates above Ballasting!

Hopefully I will find the time to build the last baseboard and lifting hatch this weekend, I have tomorrow free as well which is an added bonus.

Just up the road from where I live this weekend, is the Festival of Speed at Goodwood. I will pop up there on Saturday for a few hours but the short trip is always a nightmare as all the roads become gridlocked. Even the short cuts only us locals know are just as bad, but being a bit of a petrolhead I still find it worth the hassle.

Anyway hopefully by late Sunday I might have some update to post up on here, fingers crossed.

All the best,

Martyn.

• Like 3

Just up the road from where I live this weekend, is the Festival of Speed at Goodwood. 

There isn't a jealous icon I can leave!!!!

I'll look forward to your update of this important last board, as the penultimate step for the complete circle.

As for the scenery, I found making a little 4' x 1' photo plank was very helpful in trying different methods before letting myself loose on the main layout.

Have a good weekend at Goodwood Martyn.

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the kind compliments, if I can get my layout to look half as good as yours I would be happy : )

As for the greenery, I have already been sorely tempted a few times to add a little colour to what is at present quite a drab landscape. But it's good to know it is one of the more enjoyable parts of the hobby, I'm sure it rates above Ballasting!

Hopefully I will find the time to build the last baseboard and lifting hatch this weekend, I have tomorrow free as well which is an added bonus.

Just up the road from where I live this weekend, is the Festival of Speed at Goodwood. I will pop up there on Saturday for a few hours but the short trip is always a nightmare as all the roads become gridlocked. Even the short cuts only us locals know are just as bad, but being a bit of a petrolhead I still find it worth the hassle.

Anyway hopefully by late Sunday I might have some update to post up on here, fingers crossed.

All the best,

Martyn.

Most things in life are better than Ballasting:-)  Enjoy the Festival of Speed it sounds excellent, but a bit of a trek from Wales!  I shall be out on my Triumph taking on the Welsh mountain roads:-)  Looking forward to reading about that last baseboard and the first train circuit:-)

Best wishes

Dave

• Like 2

Hi Guys,

Well we had an enjoyable day at Goodwood on Saturday and I was spoilt for choice as to what car to buy, it was either old school.

post-7101-0-12335700-1499022495_thumb.jpg

Or something a bit newer.

post-7101-0-32132200-1499022540_thumb.jpg

Anyway back in the real world, today I managed to build the last baseboard which just needs the plywood top fixed on and then it's just a case of working out how to build the lifting section.

post-7101-0-78466400-1499022848_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link
  • Like 4

Martyn

For your lifting session, have a look at this (the thread is an utter epic, as is the model - absolutely staggering)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/71151-north-welsh-coast-railway-welsh-dragon-rail/?p=1683253

Really neat solution, which prevents a runaway finding a route to the floor. Around post 624 Anthony shows the wiring for the lifting section.

Might offer a solution?

Best

Simon

• Like 1

Hi Simon,

Wow that is some engineering, and the thread itself makes a good read. As for the lifting section, mine will be shall we say a budget version.

Think of the comedy clip in Only Fools and Horses when Del Boy goes to lean on the serving hatch, we that's the style of hatch I will be aiming for .

Regards,

Martyn.

• Like 1

Ahh, I have another cunning plan up my sleeve to prevent the above happening.

Believe it or not one of the main parts I will be using comes from an old standard lamp, all will be revealed in good time.

Regards,

Martyn.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Martyn,

that is one long point in post No 414, but I would have thought that it would have had more than just the two ties that you have modelled, with a third or fourth tie about four or five sleeper spaces back.

Not long till Telford.

ATB

OzzyO.

Hello Stranger,

Regarding the long turnout, I will go and do some swatting up on the subject, although you are usually right ( rolling eyes ) lol.

You do like giving me more work, don't you......