Church Norton

3 link

Thanks for the prompt answer Martyn.

Sorry to hear of your computer difficulties, I hope it is resolved without you losing anything.

Just one more question if I may?

Are these tie bars suitable for O-MF?

Regards

Jinty ;)

Hi Martyn,

If you're stuck, give me a shout, I think you sent me your box file? If so, I can do some print outs and stick them in the post - but probably not 'til next weekend.

Of course, I'd need to know what you need, and you probably can't easily tell me without your 'puter...

I can resend the files to another email if that helps. You can download the program for free. Access to another machine with a printer and you're sorted. (Of course, all this doesn't sort all the other stuff on your computer, but hey, I'm not Harry Potter!!!)

Let me know anyway,

Best

Simon

Thanks for the prompt answer Martyn.

Sorry to hear of your computer difficulties, I hope it is resolved without you losing anything.

Just one more question if I may?

Are these tie bars suitable for O-MF?

Regards

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty,

Yep I am working to 31.5mm, the tie bars come in two parts and you can have them as wide or narrow as you want. Steve Fay of this parish should know the cost of them and you get about 10 on the etch so they are really cheap.

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

If you're stuck, give me a shout, I think you sent me your box file? If so, I can do some print outs and stick them in the post - but probably not 'til next weekend.

Of course, I'd need to know what you need, and you probably can't easily tell me without your 'puter...

I can resend the files to another email if that helps. You can download the program for free. Access to another machine with a printer and you're sorted. (Of course, all this doesn't sort all the other stuff on your computer, but hey, I'm not Harry Potter!!!)

Let me know anyway,

Best

Simon

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the offer, the only other PC I have is the one I am writing on now and it's like an old valve set.  It is using Windows 98 and most programs are not now compatable due to some flash card or something, so I mainly rely on the ipad of late.

If I really get stuck I will PM you with an offer ;) , it's a shame your not going to Telford but no doubt we can have a meet up at Reading in December.

All the best,

Martyn.

• Like 1

Hi Martyn, those "stretcher" bars are nice, I need some for my "sssh I can't say this too loud" Peco points that I have butchered by discarding the method they come with, I looked on the JLTRT website and I can't seem to find them anywhere on there !!! Any pointers on how to purchase them would be helpful.

Happy modelling

Craig.

*** edited to put the correct name for stretcher bars.

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 1

Guest Isambarduk

Chaps, These items are 'stretchers' not 'tie bars', which appears to be a term coined by early railway modellers for some reason.    David

Hi Martyn, those tie bars are nice, I need some for my "sssh I can't this too loud" Peco points that I have butchered by discarding the method they come with, I looked on the JLTRT website and I can't seem to find them anywhere on there !!! Any pointers on how to purchase them would be helpful.

Happy modelling

Craig.

Hello Craig,

have a look in parts bogies and accessories, page 3.

OzzyO.

Martyn, If you want, if Simon sends me a file I can print and bring to Telford Mate. I would just need to know what to print :)

Hi John,

That would be such a great help, I will PM you with the details later.

Cheers,

Martyn.

• RMweb Gold

Chaps, These items are 'stretchers' not 'tie bars', which appears to be a term coined by early railway modellers for some reason.    David

The Americans call the sleepers/timbers ties and I think the switch blades were held by Tie Rods or Tie bars whence the term came back to us as modellers or it may have been used here and superseded by Stretcher bars but modellers used the older term.

Don

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I would give the p/way a rest for a while and make a start on the next couple of baseboards, being that the layout will be permanently sited ( I hope ) the next board will be fairly long due to my dislike of baseboard joints. So I will either go for a mega 9' 4" long board or have a join just before the double slip at 7'6" in length. Thinking about it I think the 7'6" sounds more manageable :paint: .

My laptop died a while back so I could not print out the Templot plan, but thanks to John ( Grass hopper ) of this parish I have now got the next section of Church Norton printed out, see below.

post-7101-0-58192000-1442676294.jpg

This part of the plan shows the two running lines in the middle with the goods loop and sidings on the left, and on the right there is a refuge siding which will also feed two siding heading back past the station platforms on a gradual down slope.

post-7101-0-82153200-1442676332.jpg

From this view on the right there is a double slip which is part of the goods loop and also feeds a couple of sidings, and on the left you can see the end of the refuge siding. Hopefully I will be able to make a start next weekend when I collect the next lot of 9mm Birch ply.

ATB,

Martyn.

• Like 7

Hi Martyn,

It looks nice and flowing, and I remember that single slip you built, that was on a curve through the platform area, so does that mean that it's mostly on a curve through the scenic area (maybe I should have a look through for a plan eh)?

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty,

Yes the whole layout is on a curve, I have just managed to keep a minimum radius of 6', the room is a converted double garage and measures roughly 15' x 19' just enough space to have a roundy-roundy.

ATB,

Martyn.

• Like 2

Morning Kev,

The whole of the fiddle yard has been built for a while now but as to the " scenic " part of the layout, I would say about a third.

I have decided to concentrate on building the rest of the baseboards now, so at least I can watch the trains go round.

Although I will be building a loco over the winter months, I have had the kit a while now, and picked up the motor/g/ box and wheels at Telford, so I have no excuses now.

ATB,

Martyn.

• Like 2

After reading through the post`s,errrmm... looking through the pictures.

I have to say that your benchwork construction is very impressive Martyn,and equally your track work is too.

Looking forward to some more progress update`s.

Cheers,

Brian.