Wickham Trolley

Combe Martin

Thanks Andy - it looks really tidy.

I will look forward to reading the article - making sure that I pick up the correct magazine...

Many thanks for the updates today (on a Sunday as well) regarding the Bachmann range - your hard work is much appreciated!

Stuart

post-30868-0-34640100-1484495875.jpgHi ,

Some photos of my DCC fitted Wickham trolley.The figure are Preiser HO 14084 Industrial Seated Workers x3 and 1 Bachmann Loco figure (too large so legs cropped).

The decoder is in the trailer as detailed in previous post ,the covered load is now covered with masking tape painted, matt varnish  and the netting is one piece of surgical gauze painted black.

The trolley runs incredibly well as I have Insulofrog points and it does not stall unlike some of my small shunters.

regards

post-30868-0-82668200-1484495616.jpg

post-30868-0-98461100-1484495765.jpgpost-30868-0-47514400-1484495793.jpg

• Like 10

post-28743-0-22645300-1485180242.jpg

Xmas present from my other half, Preiser 14084 figures fitted (some partly repainted) and lightly weathered.

Edit: still undecided on doing something about the ballast load, possibly a tarpaulin as others have done, or possibly some lube oil drums and a part covered tool load.

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

post-2274-0-12006200-1493136187_thumb.jpg

post-2274-0-34033100-1493136173_thumb.jpg

post-2274-0-76901400-1493136160_thumb.jpg

Having been a doubter when this model was revealed to be powered by the attached trailer, I nevertheless relented and bought the trolley when the first photos of the production model were published. It looked and ran much better than I had expected, but the rather crude load of 'ballast' in the powered trailer still didn't convince me.

So, in the spirit of 'If you can do better ......' I set to and removed the trailer body by undoing the two tiny self-tapping scres located centrally below the mechanism. It was clear that the moulded pile of 'ballast' was intended to restrain the motor to some extent, though the model ran quite happily without it. I therefore made a strap from thin plastic card, into which I self-tapped the body retaining screws.

I then completely removed the 'ballast', leaving just the sides and ends of the trailer body. The body was then replaced and glued to the motor restraining strap at the correct height from the rail.

When the strap / body joints were hardened, I glued C&L rail chair mouldings to the metal ballast weight of the mechanism, either side of the motor, so as to hide it. The chairs were fixed in place quite randomly, so that they appeared to have been recovered and dumped in the trailer.

As the motor projected higher than the rest of the mechanism, I glued chairs to three C&L moulded sleepers at scale spacing, and laid the sleepers across the centre of the trailer so as to project at either end.

This completely hid the mechanism and, to my eyes, represents a fairly typical load for the trailer. The chairs and sleepers have been painted, though the latter still require to be cosmetically secured with 'rope'.

The trolley and trailer were repainted with BR coaching stock maroon, and cream transfers for the BR 'hot dog' emblems and the running numbers were printed and applied; more weathering is needed in due course.

I am now completely happy with my S&DJR-allocated Wickham trolley and trailer.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 11

attachicon.gifIMG_4226.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4223.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4220.JPG

Having been a doubter when this model was revealed to be powered by the attached trailer, I nevertheless relented and bought the trolley when the first photos of the production model were published. It looked and ran much better than I had expected, but the rather crude load of 'ballast' in the powered trailer still didn't convince me.

So, in the spirit of 'If you can do better ......' I set to and removed the trailer body by undoing the two tiny self-tapping scres located centrally below the mechanism. It was clear that the moulded pile of 'ballast' was intended to restrain the motor to some extent, though the model ran quite happily without it. I therefore made a strap from thin plastic card, into which I self-tapped the body retaining screws.

I then completely removed the 'ballast', leaving just the sides and ends of the trailer body. The body was then replaced and glued to the motor restraining strap at the correct height from the rail.

When the strap / body joints were hardened, I glued C&L rail chair mouldings to the metal ballast weight of the mechanism, either side of the motor, so as to hide it. The chairs were fixed in place quite randomly, so that they appeared to have been recovered and dumped in the trailer.

As the motor projected higher than the rest of the mechanism, I glued chairs to three C&L moulded sleepers at scale spacing, and laid the sleepers across the centre of the trailer so as to project at either end.

This completely hid the mechanism and, to my eyes, represents a fairly typical load for the trailer. The chairs and sleepers have been painted, though the latter still require to be cosmetically secured with 'rope'.

The trolley and trailer were repainted with BR coaching stock maroon, and cream transfers for the BR 'hot dog' emblems and the running numbers were printed and applied; more weathering is needed in due course.

I am now completely happy with my S&DJR-allocated Wickham trolley and trailer.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Pity your pictures are not a bit  lighter can hardy make out your modifications.

Pity your pictures are not a bit  lighter can hardy make out your modifications.

Sorry, not ideal conditions for photography.

Modifications? As I said in my posting; cut out moulded ballast load, replace with moulded sleepers and rail chairs.

Simples!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

I must be lucky as the pictures were very clear on my old mobile phone! A very nice job and one that will give lots of people ideas!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I picked up a maroon one of these from a bargain bin (!) recently. The plan is to DCC it, probably getting the smallest decoder I can find, removing the capacitors from the PCB under the trolley and wiring it in there. I'll also add a crew too.

But this did get me thinking about adding an led to the lamp at the front because I think it'll look great lighting up the track in front of the trolley. Olivia's trains do one and it looks good but I've no idea where you'd start - can't seem to find a decent guide to adding LEDs to spotlights. Guessing you drill out the moulded light and then drill through the back to run the wiring through. Anyone got any advice on the type of LED to use?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I picked up a maroon one of these from a bargain bin (!) recently. The plan is to DCC it, probably getting the smallest decoder I can find, removing the capacitors from the PCB under the trolley and wiring it in there. I'll also add a crew too.

But this did get me thinking about adding an led to the lamp at the front because I think it'll look great lighting up the track in front of the trolley. Olivia's trains do one and it looks good but I've no idea where you'd start - can't seem to find a decent guide to adding LEDs to spotlights. Guessing you drill out the moulded light and then drill through the back to run the wiring through. Anyone got any advice on the type of LED to use?

Many of these trolleys had the headlight above the windscreen and just below the roof.

Shown in detail in Hornby Magazine issue 121, with sound decoder (ZIMO MX648) and speaker fitted in the roof.

No amendments to the wagon at all. (Though I do agree that the sleepers and chairs look a better load than the ballast)

I used DCCConcepts nano LEDs; 2mm SMD LEDs pre-wired for convenience. I put one in each lamp, directionally controlled.

post-9747-0-94763500-1501614066_thumb.jpg

Kind regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger
  • Like 5

Shown in detail in Hornby Magazine issue 121, with sound decoder (ZIMO MX648) and speaker fitted in the roof.

No amendments to the wagon at all. (Though I do agree that the sleepers and chairs look a better load than the ballast)

I used DCCConcepts nano LEDs; 2mm SMD LEDs pre-wired for convenience. I put one in each lamp, directionally controlled.

Wickham Trolley Headlamp LED.jpg

Kind regards,

Paul

That's a lovely job - looks like the 2mm LED fits perfectly - guessing you (carefully!) drilled out the existing lamp to make room - I've done this before for bigger diesels where you can just drill through and there's plenty of space for the wiring to be hidden inside the body shell - have to admit that doing it on something so tiny and so open is a daunting task though!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Midland Mole

Anyone know of any suitable crew figures for more modern PW workers, for example wearing high-viz stuff and white helmets like the ones below:

post-29937-0-23978200-1502632968.jpg

Alex

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Sorry to resurrect what is now a fairly old thread. I am about to have a go at converting my Wickham to DCC.

Given the last description was some time ago, I was wondering if any new decoders being released that are a better fit than those already described?

Thanks in advance,

Roy

• Like 1

Sorry to resurrect what is now a fairly old thread. I am about to have a go at converting my Wickham to DCC.

Given the last description was some time ago, I was wondering if any new decoders being released that are a better fit than those already described?

Thanks in advance,

Roy

I don't know if this will be of assistance Roy, I used a Guagemaster DCC23 Mini 6-pin decoder which is small enough to cunningly hide under some Peco Model Scene Pallets which can then be stuck on top of the original ballast (with some fettling and filing) as supplied, please see pictures below:-

post-5799-0-68637800-1529828859_thumb.jpg

post-5799-0-23234800-1529828935_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the photo but it shows the Decoder hiding under the Pallets.

post-5799-0-17627500-1529829068_thumb.jpg

The Peco Pallets.

post-5799-0-57940700-1529829135_thumb.jpg

You always get one joker - He is under training to be a reversing beeper!!

My best regards,

Kevin.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 04/10/2021 at 20:59, Michael Delamar said:

Passing Warrington Dallam, note the tail lamp. Flickr link, click on photo.

1022A YES it is a weedkiller trolley, how things have changed ! (Passing Dallam) (FP3)

1018 YES it is a weedkiller trolley, how things have changed ! (Passing Dallam) (FP3)

Great photos.  I wonder how they squeezed the decoder into that trailer…?

Cheers

Darius

• Like 2