Low releif locomotive!

stu357

I have a small shed at the end of a siding that is low releif and at a slight angle.

I was just going to have the door shut but I had loads of 08 bits left over from these,

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79028-trying-to-detail-a-railroad-class-08/

so I cut the end off a lima 08 (I knew there was some reason to save the lima shells) to create a low releif 08853....

gallery_16311_4129_39955.jpg

I was going to paint it in greeny grey primer and have this in the paint shop, but I had loads of wasp stripes left and couldn't resist using them!

Its going in here,

gallery_16311_4129_4474.jpg

Any one else cut Locos / vehicles up for scenes like this?

Stu.

• RMweb Premium

That would have been Border's Reach, by the late Keith Wright. And yes, featured recently in one of the mags by his brother, who now owns the layout.

Initially, he used both ends of a demic Hornby Class 29, later an 08, peeping out of a low-relief loco shed.

I think he may also have done similar with a class 56 on his Arnold Lane layout.

I have seen something similar on a MPD layout featured in the modelling press a while back, but I agree, it's very very effective!

That would have been Border's Reach, by the late Keith Wright. And yes, featured recently in one of the mags by his brother, who now owns the layout.

Initially, he used both ends of a demic Hornby Class 29, later an 08, peeping out of a low-relief loco shed.

I think he may also have done similar with a class 56 on his Arnold Lane layout.

Thanks for that. Yes, the layout name is familiar - I just couldn't remember it!

A link to a gallery photo already on RMWeb:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/45429-saturday-morning-at-borders-reach/

I have a small shed at the end of a siding that is low releif and at a slight angle.

I was just going to have the door shut but I had loads of 08 bits left over from these,

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79028-trying-to-detail-a-railroad-class-08/

so I cut the end off a lima 08 (I knew there was some reason to save the lima shells) to create a low releif 08853....

4412977878b51ce2f0ec6413e8eb596aee1c1571

I was going to paint it in greeny grey primer and have this in the paint shop, but I had loads of wasp stripes left and couldn't resist using them!

Its going in here,

15002274a12422c3c49c59e07989d9b872148528

Any one else cut Locos / vehicles up for scenes like this?

Stu.

I stuck a GWR 0-8 something up a dead siding that only had wheels on one side and was propped up on a block of wood on the side that didn't!!!

I think I've got a picture of it somewhere...

Cheers.

Allan

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone.

If you get down at eye level it looks OK, but from other angles its not so good, I've got to desguise the join with the back wall.

I have found the workshop door desguises where the roof joins the wall but it needs something either side.

I noticed most paint shops have some kind of movable access platform, one of them would work to the right of the model. So had a look in the scrap bin,

A couple of Hornby crossing gates, some brass etch signal ladder and offcuts, some .4 wire and a pipe filter.....

gallery_16311_3535_237.jpg

oh and the wheel off the back of one of the Bachmann large jacks (the one it came off will be stuck the right hand side to desguise that join!)

gallery_16311_3535_25848.jpg

OK, so it won't meet health and safety with those steps, but it wont look too bad in the shadow!

I'll try and have the whole scene together for a shot soon.

Thanks,

Stu

• 1 month later...

Well I placed the shed on the layout,

the loco is low releif but the shed is more shallow in height. what I've been doing is making trees for the forest that goes behind the shed. you see my three main lines run under there!

I looked at your thread on roofing Peterkern23, its fantastic, I used embossed plasticard for my roof with a thin layer of paper to create the step as sugested in there.

I just thought I'd put some update photos on, there are many more bits to go in the forground yet tho (diesel fueling point and armco barriers etc)

gallery_16311_4129_40608.jpg

the shed on the right is obviously a Hornby one, the inner back is cut away to let the track run underneath. I've got to get on to detailing that yet.

gallery_16311_4129_41093.jpg

(one day soon I'll get round to writing a post on the class 357's!!)

thanks for looking,

Stu

I just found this older photo that explains why this needed to be low releif inside and full length on top,

gallery_16311_4129_27901.jpg

on the left you can see the track going in right behind the false wall in the shed and on the right you can see it actually comes out more than half way down the long shed. (which is btw a bashed scalescenes modern warehouse, still not finished) and runs underneath the raised track.

Its only a small oval layout, see my thread here,

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/73104-small-folding-00-layout-re-kindles-interest/

Stu

• 7 months later...

Here's a couple of update photos,

the 08 in the shed,

gallery_16311_3509_197044.jpg

and an overview of the depot

gallery_16311_3509_64759.jpg

the view from the other side shows another low releif vehicle. that BR bedford TK under the arches is not as long as it looks!

gallery_16311_3509_34803.jpg

Stu.

Archived