Tower Models Blackpool

Stevelewis

I visited the new Tower Models shop today. For those of you that aren't aware, over the Christmas / New Year period they have moved to:

62 Devonshire Road
Blackpool
FY3 8AA

The new shop is bright and airy, very spacious, it almost felt too big but it does mean they have plenty of space to display their nicely custom-weathered models as well as the standard catalogue products.

It's an easy walk through the back-streets from Blackpool North station, and the eponymous Tower is just about visible from Devonshire Road.

There was a friendly and helpful welcome and I was able to pick up one of my pre-orders and add another to the list. I wanted to look at a couple of locos 'in the flesh' which is one of the big advantages of visiting a shop in person, and I bought one of them after some discussion with the staff about the livery options and fitting DCC. Finally, there was the inevitable impulse buy of a used model that I didn't know they had but fitted my theme perfectly.

Tower is still pretty old-school in some ways - they have a website which is kept up-to-date but orders are only taken by phone and the order log is a paper ledger rather than a spreadsheet or electronic point-of-sale system! Nevertheless it seems to work and they're very friendly and know what they are talking about, and the prices are keen too. Talking to someone on the phone really isn't that scary - why not give them a call rather than just clicking on a website link?

Blackpool is also developing a few nice real ale bars and pubs, if you avoid the seafront and search the backstreets.

The tram extension to Blackpool North station STILL isn't open 🤷‍♀️

Mol

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

I popped in last week while on A/L from work, love the new shop and so spacious as already said, the shop used to be Rimmers music store where my son went for drum lessons so it was fascinating to see it so different. It’s been a huge task for Roger to move everything so congratulations to him for a job well done. He did say with the increased space he is going to get a few more OO bits into may have to visit more often!

Mark

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

At Tower I bought myself the very last undecorated Pug; there are still a few decorated examples available. Pug are expensive (compared to Terriers) so I wanted to see it before buying. At least a Pug suits my layout theme.

Railtour in Trafford Park, and Gulf Oil

On my way back I was surprised to find a Pendolino at the station, and rode it as far as Wigan before changing onto a Manchester train. This seems to be an occasional extension of Avanti's West Midlands service, so although Blackpool has a direct London service it's not a fast one and you would probably have a quicker journey to London by taking a Northern train to Preston and changing onto a London express running direct. The train was virtually empty.

IMG_2960.JPG.5cca830ca70cb3c871486fa712d939e7.JPG

• 1 month later...

Was there a few weeks back. Nice and airy space and whilst I’m not interested in 0 gauge (at the moment) he did have a good collection of pre-owned 00 gauge stuff that he’d taken in as trade in.

I saw a couple of things I wanted but didn’t buy. Having though about it I called back to see whether the owner would post them out if I paid over the phone but unfortunately not 😕