EWS and Loadhaul CEA Hopper wagons...

class"66"

At various times, they've carried calcified seaweed from Cornwall to various locations, as well as china clay to Mossend. The photos on Martyn Read's site are of stored wagons at Tees, which makes me wonder if they'd been used in potash or salt traffic from Boulby. Photos do seem rather thin on the ground; I wonder how much use they actually saw?

• Like 1

Hello.

Looking at Bigbee Lines pictures, the difference between the two wagons jumped out at me.

I assumed that the CEAs were conversions of the HEA hoppers, yet the two wagons in the first picture - presumably both CEA - have quite different underframes.

Were there different sources for these wagons or was the second wagon in the picture not a CEA?

David.

The original traffic was Limestone from Rhylstone to Hunslet later they had spells in Calcified Seaweed and China Clay ( I saw them at Cliffe Vale ). I also saw them at Immingham but never knew why.

I seem to recall them trialled in chipped tyre traffic possibly to Aberthawe cement works!

They were all converted from the Load Haul refurbished HEA's at RFS Doncaster later EWS took the Maroon paint to some of them!

As far as I know they have never visited Boulby for CPL.

Mark Saunders

As Mark noted they were indeed trialled in tyre chip traffic to Aberthaw...but failed dismally when the tyres refused to drop out after the hopper doors were opened. In the end an intrepid soul with an iron bar had to prise them out and they were sent off in disgrace!

Hywel

Interesting to see several of the photos on Gareth Bayers site show them in Ipswich Lower Yard. Well away from any of the traffic flows mentioned already - in storage maybe but a bit of a strange (and out of the way) place to do it!

Perhaps it was some sort of traffic for the cement plant outside the town (Claydon), which I don't think has an active rail connection any longer.

Perhaps it was some sort of traffic for the cement plant outside the town (Claydon), which I don't think has an active rail connection any longer.

The Claydon cement factory was already closed by 2001 when the pictures were dated and I'm fairly sure rail traffic ceased a few years before then anyway (though I stand to be corrected!)

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

There is a cracking shot of a block train of these wagons returning empty from Cliffe Vale to St. Blazey here:

http://www.hondawanderer.com/37042_Cockwood_Harbour_1999.htm

This is an excellent site for browsing and could easily eat up a whole day if you're not careful...

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 1

• 5 years later...

Sounds like these wagon conversions were a bit of a white elephant in the real world - trialled a lot but never settling down on a single flow for any length of time.

I note they are still in the current Bachmann catalogue however.