best way to strip paint from lima models?

• RMweb Gold

Last night i removed all the paint off a lima class 33 in 10 min's with methylated spirit . just used a old paint brush then gave it a good wash in warm soapy water. Have done a lot of lima models this way .

I could show you one example of a GUV that disproves that theory! That's why I test all Lima models first.

Mike.

Hi Jon

I recently stripped a ViTrains class 47 using Fairy Power Spray.

Strip the body of all bits & pieces first, then give it a good spray and put in a plastic bag overnight. 

Give it a brush with an old toothbrush and that's it, you may have a few stubborn bit which need another treatment.

the good thing with this method is it does not damage the plastic.

Cheers

Bob

I would recommend that you do not use any warm or hot water near any Lima body. I tried it a few years ago and turned three bodies into banana shaped ones. The best paint stripper is Precision Paints PQ18 superstrip. This has a long life and can be used again and again. The only drawback with it, is getting hold of it . Trying to find a stockist is not easy and the manufacturer wants £8 to deliver it through couriers. Royal Mail does not permit carriage of chemicals through its system. Modelstrip is quite good , but it has a short shelf life.

Archived