lokalbahn

Since I've pretty much settled on a plan, and am beginning the build, I thought I should start a thread...

The KoffeeBahn is set in Germany in Epoch III (50s-60s). The name comes from my obsession with coffee, and the name of my first Loco 'Kof'. I am using Lenz track and rolling stock. I am modelling an industrial location, possibly very loosely based on Bremen, or a non waterside location, currently without a prototype. I have tried to include enough sidings for an inglenook, and also a timesaver, but want the operations to have a reason...

These are the two options:

The wharf:

post-21433-0-96593200-1392506908_thumb.jpg

Just industry:

post-21433-0-58264600-1392506919_thumb.jpg

Due to the layout of the room, and the fact it is my son's bedroom when he is back from Uni, I need to be able to lift the baseboard out of the way. I am planning on having three parts, with the upper part not moving, the lower single road being removable, and the main middle section being constructed on foamboard, so light enough to lift away. The idea is illustrated in the second picture with the orange lines.

I like the idea of the wharf, since it gives a reason for the shape of the layout, but am not convinced I can do a good job embedding the tracks, although that is not necessarily 100% required. I have seen the wharf edges available, so that should be OK to do. The other issue might be hiding the join of the single road. The second version uses a low relief shed to hide the track inside it.

The track feeding in from the left I would like to come in over a bridge, and can possibly have a decent run along the wall.

I am currently trying the track out on the insulation sheets to make sure it all really fits. And testing the operational principles. All for research you understand :-)

Thanks,

Pete

Hi, Pete,

I prefer the wharf version. It is a neat little plan to start with - let us make better  :no:

I also agree with Dutchmaster's suggestion to lose the loco shed - up to and including early German Epoch 4 the Köf would have been stationed at the closest station/yard serving the wharves. IMO: Unless you already have it, the double slip should be replaced with a r/h point and the wharf track should be extended to serve the "bottom" end of the wharf.

Best Regards,

Christian

Thanks Christian,  I can lose the loco shed for sure, but I already have the double slip :-) I have a problem at the 'bottom' end that I need to allow clearance for the door to open, so can only fit the single track in. What I liked about this configuration is that is makes it into a 'timesaver' shunting puzzle. What I was thinking was a small diesel fueling tank, and maybe a water tower and coal bunker in those two locations, to give a reason for some wagons to go there.

I like Armin's suggestion of a rail ferry, but it is well beyond my modelling skills!

The other thing I am unsure about is baseboard construction. I am thinking of using a ply frame with foam in the middle, but wonder whether I would be better off going with ply, since it will be pretty flat? I am looking for simple construction and light weight!

Thanks,

Pete 

One problem I have hit trying out my track plan was that the point motor on the left hand point in the top right fouled the curved turnout next to it. What I have done is remove the sleepers below the motor housing, and the motor housing itself, then flip the sleeper moulding holding the motor round and feed it back on. I have also had to reroute the wiring (this is a self contained dcc decoder and motor fed from the point itself). The lantern was also the wrong way round, but I have been able to take it off and flip it 180 degrees. Unfortunately, it is now indicating the wrong way, so I really need to rotate it 90 degrees, but being rectangular this will require a bit more modification. Reassembling the housing was a bit fiddly, and I had to be careful not to distort the metal cover, otherwise the motor would jam and not switch the point. It took me at least 4 attempts to get it working, but it is now :-)

The red arrows show where I cut the sleepers.

post-21433-0-34529800-1392934728.jpg

I like Armin's suggestion of a rail ferry, but it is well beyond my modelling skills!

Not necessarily so, Pete.

Some time ago, Shortliner presented Ingleferry Wharf, central to which is a barge – see there (6th entry). It appears to me that Jack used not much more than a piece of wood (in fact two since it is collapsible), tracks, some wiring and a few detailing thingies.

Should not be too difficult to make me thinks ( you do not have to have that ugly colour :no: ).

Armin

Archived