I think I'm in love...

rapidotrains

Today while perusing my latest issue of Rail magazine (I know they take a long time to show up in Canada) I came across a class of locomotive I never knew about before:

5865657851_820c88fec3_z.jpg

There is something about this homely beast that speaks to my inner foamer.  The mixed Co-Bo bogies are just the icing on a very delicious cake.  I am completely smitten.  

What amazes me is that a locomotive that ran for a decade over 40 years ago is actually preserved in the UK, and it speaks volumes about the wonderful preservation community in the UK.  Next time you guys want to complain about your railway heritage, think about this: there are probably more classes of locomotive in Canada that have been completely scrapped than locomotive classes that have been preserved.

While you guys can raise the funds for a new build, we can barely raise the funds to save our important loco models from the scrapper.  

So I salute the wonderfully distinctive Class 28 along with your railway preservation efforts in general.  We're very envious...  

-Jason

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Don't tell Jason that, we could have a hell of a model if his creative juices start flowing. When you're in love strange things happen.

Mike.

I think that the preservation of D5705 is much more due to fortuitous circumstance, rather than any initial desire to preserve a class that only ran for 10 years. Had the RTC not used the loco for a number of years, I imagine that it would have gone the way of the rest of the class.

I notice the disk indicators on the Reddish photo. Has the loco just worked the Royal Train?

• RMweb Gold

It's fascinating how this hobby keeps on throwing up nuggets/hidden gems

I've been a (BR) rail enthusiast since 1973, but it was only a year or so ago that I came across a whole new class of AC electric – the Class80!

Great photo BTW.
I wish the CoBo was still there when I used to bunk round that shed...

Kev.

At one time (I was still a kid) there were quite a few Co-Bos on the tracks outside Reddish shed. I think they were stored - at least, if they did any work in the area, I never saw them doing it.

It's fascinating how this hobby keeps on throwing up nuggets/hidden gems

I've been a (BR) rail enthusiast since 1973, but it was only a year or so ago that I came across a whole new class of AC electric – the Class80!

Oh no, not this subject again.

Given that the loco had been stored for about 6 years prior to the initial TOPS classes being designated, and was basically a rusting hulk; the allocation of class 80 was just an accounting exercise because presumably the loco was still part of capital stock and could not be ignored. It was officially withdrawn about 6 months later anyway.

These pseudo-TOPS classes that never actually operated under their own power, have been the cause of endless arguments since the year dot (i.e. 1967).

Please don't mention any hydraulic class 41s..... ( oops, I just have ).

• Like 1

I think that the preservation of D5705 is much more due to fortuitous circumstance, rather than any initial desire to preserve a class that only ran for 10 years. Had the RTC not used the loco for a number of years, I imagine that it would have gone the way of the rest of the class.

How original is D5705?  Did BR make some serious modifications to it or is it largely unchanged from when in service?

I hope I can see it on one of my upcoming UK trips, but I believe it's off its bogies at the moment.  The plan right now is to be there in June to launch our new engine, but only for four or five days.  I may not have time to visit D5705, bogies or no.

I've sent an email to the treasurer of the Class 15 Preservation Society about making a donation to D5705 so hopefully I'll hear back soon.

The crazy thing is I have never been in love with a green engine before.  Blue is so much more my style, the bigger the logo the better!

-Jason

• Like 2

OK - now I'm confused.  I've been here:

http://www.d8233.org.uk/5705_bogie_appeal.htm

and it told me to contact the treasurer to make a donation.

Then just now I discovered this:

http://www.elrdiesel.info/fleet-d5705.php

which has an easy way to make donations via PayPal. 

Are they the same people?  I want to make sure my donation goes to the right place.  The postal address provided on each page is different!

-Jason

• RMweb Premium

How original is D5705?  Did BR make some serious modifications to it or is it largely unchanged from when in service?

The most obvious visible mod during their short working life was the front cab window. Originally they were curved around the front corner and later changed to a flat panel.

Otherwise, IIRC, very few other modifications were carried out.

http://www.therailwaycentre.com/Pages%20Loco/Recognition%20loco/Illus_28.html

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

I'd have thought you were unpopular almost everywhere at the moment, especially in Somerset and the Thames valley...

(coat, waders, gone...)

I just like the way 'flood' is followed by 'lifeboatman' :sungum: .

Sorry, back to topic ! 

Edited by bike2steam