I think I'm in love...

rapidotrains

• RMweb Gold

You mean the good Reverend got it wrong then?

('BOCO' being the diesel being bullied by the two saddle tanks 'Bill' and 'Ben' in one of his TT books)

Nah, the good Reverend got a nice sounding name out of rearranging the original designation.  After all nobody else called a pannier tank 'Duck' until he came up with it following from his own Gaiety pannier which reputedly had a tendency to waddle when running.

But the US does indeed use a system that misses out the lower case 'o' and is ignored - presumably on the basis that the vast majority of diesel & electric locomotives built in North America has had each axle independently powered. Therefore you only need to identify those that don't meet the 'norm'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AAR_wheel_arrangement

Since the UK now has much of its diesel fleet built in the US, perhaps this scheme will take take over?

The US might but the UK adopted (with a slight change) the UIC system which seems fairly logical in view of the fact that BR was a member of the UIC - a situation which effectively continued after privatisation although with somewhat divided representation (but that's another story)

• 8 months later...

But the US does indeed use a system that misses out the lower case 'o' and is ignored - presumably on the basis that the vast majority of diesel & electric locomotives built in North America has had each axle independently powered. Therefore you only need to identify those that don't meet the 'norm'.

Many of the early EMD built diesels were A1A-A1As IIRC, all the E series locos were A1A-A1As for sure.

I just found this thread in the Rapido area, so I've spent an age going though it all, fascinating stuff.

As for turbines fuel consumption, the APT-E's Leylands drank more fuel at idle than they did at maximum power, and that was in both early and late versions too. We'd need a turbine guy on here to explain why, but we used to shut down some engines when we had to wait for long periods.

As for Class 28s, the only one left used to live in the RTC yard during the E-Train period, and I think it was intended to use it to power the Tribometer Train but it was very troublesome. I only saw it start up once and the whole yard vanished in an IMMENSE cloud of smoke! You can see it below parked next to E-Train in 3 car form, probably in 1973 or 4.

LUHP9b.jpg

The RTC Yard was the last parking space for many weird loco types, we also had the last Baby Deltic and the last Clayton as well, both seen below.

xAfux9.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

The posts above about the faults of the Crossley engine does seem to have some sort of implications for those who are restoring Jasons 'Bird'. If the powerunit is capable of distroying itself as has been recounted, will the group have enough spares to repair it if (or will it be when?) is goes bang? I know they have a 12 cylinder version as spares.

The other question is going to be how reliable she will be in service.

But one thing is for certain, those who love clag will love her, almost every picture you see shows them clagging!

Andy G

Many of the early EMD built diesels were A1A-A1As IIRC, all the E series locos were A1A-A1As for sure.

BNSF now has several hundred GE ES44C4 built over the last handful of years, which are also A1A-A1A...have a funny feeling the EMD equivalent machines are a most odd BO1-1BO!

• RMweb Gold

The RTC Yard was the last parking space for many weird loco types, we also had the last Baby Deltic and the last Clayton as well, both seen below.

xAfux9.jpg

Those tracks on the right look like a train set - radius 1 to radius 6 curves for multiple train continuous running perhaps!

Edited by Colin_McLeod

I have to weigh in on the "beaucoup" [err, Bo-co] - Co-Bo debate. I'm a "Yankee" now living in California, but, back in 1964, 

I was an exchange student in Tunbridge Wells and also did a bit of trainspotting while there. 

To aid me in identifying locos, I picked up "The Observer's Book of Railway Locomotives of Britain", 1964 edition, Edited by H.C. Casserley and published by Frederick Warne and Co. Ltd. 

On page 215 of that book, of which I have attached a scan, the D 5700 Type "2" is shown and clearly identified as a Co-Bo. Whether British trainspotters accept this ID as "definitive", I don't know, but that's how I've found it identified.

And, I should say that it was during that stay in Kent that I found my first N scale models, a pair of Lone Star British Diesels that I still have and run to this day, though now repowered with Minitrix chassis. And I've stayed with N scale ever since, modeling British (Scottish, actually) Kyle of Lochalsh, Taiwan Pingsi Branchline, and Canadian Pacific Nakusp subdivision - all on the same modules by the subterfuge of exchangeable structures.

And I'd buy a Co-Bo in a heartbeat if Rapido Trains - many of whose marvelous Canadian models are in my collection - were to produce it in N scale. (Yes, Jason, and the GMD-1 is already reserved...)

- Paul Ingraham, Coordinator, AsiaNRail, aka Railtunes, 'cause my other love is singing.    post-24569-0-41114000-1415665108_thumb.jpg

Those tracks on the right look like a train set - radius 1 to radius 6 curves for multiple train continuous running perhaps!

They sure do!

The two nearest the Power Box are the main lines out to Trent Junction and then south toward London of course, but the ones to the right of them are the multiple access roads to the Derby Loco Works and Etches Park DMU depot.

OK - now I'm confused.  I've been here:

http://www.d8233.org.uk/5705_bogie_appeal.htm

and it told me to contact the treasurer to make a donation.

Then just now I discovered this:

http://www.elrdiesel.info/fleet-d5705.php

which has an easy way to make donations via PayPal. 

Are they the same people?  I want to make sure my donation goes to the right place.  The postal address provided on each page is different!

-Jason

Hi Jason,

I don't know if anyone has replied to your query about the websites yet but I've just had a quick chat via Facebook with someone I know who is part of the restoration team looking after the CoBo and the Class 15 and he said the "bogie appeal" website ( http://www.d8233.org.uk/5705_bogie_appeal.htm ) has the correct details to donate to the Cobo directly.  Apparently they are looking into setting up a PayPal link for the CoBo sometime after the 22nd November if that helps.

Seeing as you've had your head turned by a freak unreliable oil-throwing lump of lard called a CoBo, any chance we can turn your head to equally unreliable freak electric locos?  If you don't ask, you don't get...

• 6 years later...

Well! Wouldn't you know it! Rapido has announced that they are going to be doing the British Railways Co-Bo in N scale (no less), to come out (maybe) this year! I guess that makes them the Lords of the 5-axle Diesels, what with the FL-9s and Cuban GMD-1s already in their product catalog.

Now, what other 5-axle prototypes can we tempt them with? The Japanese DE10s are already available from Kato and Tomix, but what else is there?

- Railtunes, Paul Ingraham

12 hours ago, Railtunes said:

Now, what other 5-axle prototypes can we tempt them with? The Japanese DE10s are already available from Kato and Tomix, but what else is there?

The response from Rapido regarding doing models based on non-UK/US/Canada prototypes has always been no as they don't have the local knowledge/contacts to do it well.

The only other North American prototype I can think of is the FM C-Liner, but Atlas has the former True Line Trains tooling for that which would make it difficult.

• Like 1

That old Atlas/Rivarossi-designed model was not really that great a runner. Would definitely need a 21st century mechanism upgrade. However, I think Atlas now also has the LIfe-Like FM C-Liner tooling [TruLine trains tooling?] that was in the Athearn range for a while after Life-Like closed, though that is the Bo-Bo version. It's a fairly good runner, so maybe a Co truck could be made for the Bo-Co version, though a completely new version that is at least DCC-ready  would probably be a better upgrade.

And note that, along withNew York Central and Long Island, Canadian National and New Haven, both near and dear to Jason Shron's heart, had the Bo-Co version, so that may make this a more likely possibility.

New Haven FM C-Liners.jpg

7 hours ago, Railtunes said:

However, I think Atlas now also has the LIfe-Like FM C-Liner tooling [TruLine trains tooling?] that was in the Athearn range for a while after Life-Like closed, though that is the Bo-Bo version. 

As I said above, Atlas bought the True Line Trains tooling (that was also sold under the Life Like brand - it was never in the Athearn range) and based on comments online True Line Trains did both the Bo-Bo and Bo-Co versions.

7 hours ago, Railtunes said:

And note that, along withNew York Central and Long Island, Canadian National and New Haven, both near and dear to Jason Shron's heart, had the Bo-Co version, so that may make this a more likely possibility.

Not saying it isn't possible, but the question is if the TLT tooling was really that bad and what plans Atlas has for the tooling (will they do any upgrades for things like lighting effects).  I suspect the C-Liners are niche enough that there really isn't a market for 2 competing models.

• RMweb Premium
On 28/01/2021 at 05:55, Railtunes said:

Now, what other 5-axle prototypes can we tempt them with?

Well there's the BN / BLS De4/5 (Swiss), with its A1A-Bo wheel arrangement, though I'd be surprised (and delighted) if Rapido ventured into that market. It's only been made (long ago) in H0 by Fulgurex (or was it Metropolitan?).

I've had a look, and found a Metropolitan BN Fe4/5 on ebay.de, (which is the same family of vehicle, in an earlier livery). Crumbs, it's 900 Euro! Perhaps there's a market there with headroom for the development costs (just wondering).