A4 60022 Mallard -To - A4 4903 Peregrine War Time Black

For a while now I have wanted to add to my collection one of the Gresley A4s in war time black

since seeing one on the TMC site. Could not find one of the A4s in war time black anywhere ,so set about 

looking for a donor with wheels already in  black. Now i am having Mallard 60022 transformed into Peregrine

4903 like the one i first saw. It was robhst  who gave me the idea to have the A4 repainted with his Glossy A4 thread

by the way great work Rob. I will post photos of the finished re-named Peregrine .

D.R.M.

TMC used to do these as a run of both A4s and A3s before though the loco drive came out

Since then the prices of the custom models is more than it was around £60 more

Hornby have no desire at the moment to do one again in black

Remember to do the window in red on the inside edges the nearest window either side of

the cab before the join to the boiler

TMC used to do these as a run of both A4s and A3s before though the loco drive came out

Since then the prices of the custom models is more than it was around £60 more

Hornby have no desire at the moment to do one again in black

Remember to do the window in red on the inside edges the nearest window either side of

the cab before the join to the boiler

Thank you for the information.

Hi DRM,

If you are wanting to do one of these models in black you need to research it first to make sure you get the right donor loco for the job. I've been doing this sort of conversion for more than 30 years now (for a lot less than TMC! ) and if you need any help in getting your 'Peregrine' please send me a PM and I'll do my best to help you.

Cheers

Ian

Hi DRM,

If you are wanting to do one of these models in black you need to research it first to make sure you get the right donor loco for the job. I've been doing this sort of conversion for more than 30 years now (for a lot less than TMC! ) and if you need any help in getting your 'Peregrine' please send me a PM and I'll do my best to help you.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,

Many thanks for your offer of help on this project .

I will put you in my project file folder as I have a

project planed after this one.

D.R.M.

I'd assumed to save paint. After all taking out half the letters reduces your paint use by half - and that's a lot of paint when you have a large fleet of 12 inch:foot locos. The paint was presumably in short supply in the war. And then, as Silverlink says, the locos were working harder and there were fewer staff to look after them.

Looking forward to seeing the finished model, I think A4s look great in their wartime configuration.

Did you know not all the A4's had just 'NE' on the tender some kept 'LNER' for the whole time they were black. The RCTS part 2A lists all the A4's and what they carried. If you want a particular model let me know & I'll see if I can tell you which version it carried. 

The Peregrine in black I have seen on TMC website had just N E on the tender .

So I have gone with it in that format ,but thank you for the information  Ian. I hope

to get it back within the next week or two..

D.R.M.

• 2 weeks later...

The Peregrine in black I have seen on TMC website had just N E on the tender .

So I have gone with it in that format ,but thank you for the information  Ian. I hope

to get it back within the next week or two..

D.R.M.

They'll be using the Hornby wartime black Sir Charles Newton which will be one of the easiest conversions ever! I would expect to pay around £8 for nameplates and if you have to buy transfers you're looking at HMRS at £6-50 but there's enough to do around seven locos on a sheet so less than a £1 a loco. How much are TMC asking!!!! 

Ian

They'll be using the Hornby wartime black Sir Charles Newton which will be one of the easiest conversions ever! I would expect to pay around £8 for nameplates and if you have to buy transfers you're looking at HMRS at £6-50 but there's enough to do around seven locos on a sheet so less than a £1 a loco. How much are TMC asking!!!! 

Ian

I am not having it done by T.M.C. there was one on there site & that gave me the idea to have a Wartime black A4.

D.R.M.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived