Michael's Dioramas

cactustrain

I'm working on a new diorama and it's getting to the point where there's something to photograph. It's a move away from my usual industrial setting into something more rural. It's called September Lineside as that is the time of year to is set in and it concentrates on lineside vegetation. I'm working on a 'how it's done...' article.

post-7246-0-86968700-1392548119.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I don't log on very often anymore but that last photo had me remembering my password instantly ! Absolutely superb and possibly thee most realistic shot I've ever seen. Please get one of the photoshop masters to add some steam & smoke and I think we will have the ultimate in diorama realism.

Great work Cactustrain.

Ta for the feedback. Someone suggested I could add smoke. I don't usually like PS use in photos (apart from removing the odd hair) if it alters what was originally there, but I think if you do use it, then you should own up. So, this shot has smoke that's been added digitally. It has been created using PS tools, and not imported from another photograph.

post-7246-0-66706400-1394046203_thumb.jpg

I am more in favour of post processed backscenes than photographs of layouts with backscenes printed from photographs. I think there is more talent in using Photoshop than in photographing a photograph! However, that is my own subjective opinion and it's a moot point.

All the backscenes on my dioramas and layout are hand painted or plain card though.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting near finished now. The backscene is hand painted - not that it shows up in this shot!

attachicon.gifUntitled_Panorama2.jpg

These two shots have had smoke added during the post processing stage.

attachicon.gifwith steam2.jpg

Jog on mate. we're not all stupid on here you know. These are real photos. No way are these models.

Re the smoke, I think the second of the three "smoke added" photos works really well there. Just gives the illusion of the loco coasting with steam off.

(Photos saved to the "Inspirations" folder for when I get stuck on a project.

• 6 months later...

To recreate a photograph you need to understand how film reacts in a box brownie camera.  For that you need to look at prototype photos.  The sky generally got overexposed.  The only way that #4 could be improved is with a bit of dark smoke rising from the chimney, while leaving the sky overcooked.  The hazy drifting smoke doesn't look natural.

Archived